how many of you have actually high sided before?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by cRaZe, Apr 17, 2003.

1. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

i think thats a tough thing to do unless you insanely twist the throttle at deep lean angles...

and i know very FEW people that ride like that...

2. HDKIDD02

HDKIDD02 Guest

or if ur riding, and u lock the rear tire up, and the bike slides , and accidentally let off the brake,a nd the tire catches, and launches you off the bike. i did it last year, sucked ass, both arms and hands got scraped real bad. and i was sore for about 3 weeks, but i got back on and am still riding. luckily i had a helmet, and my boots on . or i really woulda been hurt.

3. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I've done it twice. First time was from a tankslapper, 2nd was going off the road, trying to brake, and had the front end wash out.
    It's not hard to highside.

4. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

I something I wish I never have to experience... :)

5. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

2 lowslides....hopefully I'll never have to experience a highside.

6. BenFer

BenFer I've seen bigger OT Supporter

mr firend joel high sided his zx-12 doin about 80 on an increasing uphill radius, he got way fucked up, he got a compound fracture on his right arm that basically tore the bone out of his arm from the middle of his forearm up to his shoulder, he's been in physical therapy for 14 months

7. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

IT HURTS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took an offcamber blind corner too hot (140MPH indicated, 25MPH speed limit), locked up the rear, slid off the road, got airborne down a 20' embankment, front end came down and dug in, threw me off towards a chain link fence. Luckily I missed the fence, the bike flipped twice before coming down HARD on the left side of the tail.

You can see that it snapped the right clip-on and BENT the left one, they're made of .187" wall .750 diameter aluminum tubing. It also bent the rear subframe (chrome-moly steel) 4" to the right.

It was the most violent ordeal I've ever witnessed, one second I was trying to steer away from the fence (while airborne:uh: ), the next I felt the front end hit, then I woke up laying on my back in the wet grass. I don't remember being thrown off the bike, hitting the ground, or sliding on the grass.

My lower back was all torn up because my leather jacket rode up, and my hips were deeply bruised from the impact. My faceshield was all scratched up and there was grass stuck in the vents in my helmet. A DEEP gouge in the chinbar and a pretty deep scratch in the shell dead center in the back of my head.

I still can't figure out how my chinbar was gouged and my faceshield was scratched when there wasn't any other damage to the front of my body and I woke up on my back.

I bet it was a fun ride :rofl:

JK

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2003
  8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

140mph indicated?? You mean 40?

9. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

Nope, top of 5th gear, 140MPH (probably closer to 125MPH).

I took a break at a rest area, when I went to get back on the highway I saw a guy who had tried to run me off the road earlier so I tried to get infront of him. I thought I was in the merge lane, but when I got to the top of the hill the road made a sharp right turn, due to the laws of physics I went straight.

10. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

I finally highsided.

11. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

12. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

Hence, I crashed :uh:

JK

13. fr0ng

fr0ng Guest

Dude I HIGHLY doubt you were goin anywhere near 125-140mph....those 25mph turns are almost hairpin turns...nobody, even Valentino Rossi would attempt to do such a stupid thing.

14. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

It was a blind corner on the far side of an overpass with NO speed limit sign facing the direction I was traveling.

The road was leaving a rest area and ran paralell to the highway, like the layout of most Florida roads it would have been a MERGE LANE, but since they built another rest stop on the other side of the overpass they had to reroute the merge lane around the new parking lot.

15. Low Carb JYD

Low Carb JYD Guest

90mph highside = broken pelvis

16. Qwan

Qwan Guest

A friend of mine died "tank standing" several years back. As a result, I take care when riding. RIP Joey!

17. Low Carb JYD

Low Carb JYD Guest

which has nothing to do with a high side, thanks bye

18. Qwan

Qwan Guest

While there is a difference between the two, there is still somewhat of a risk involved in both endeavours. Therefore, my point was simply that one should take care when riding. Seems black and white to me. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2003
  19. Low Carb JYD

Low Carb JYD Guest

it would be more black and white if you were to say, take care while doing retarded stunts on the street.

20. Qwan

Qwan Guest

:fawk: