GUN How many of you guys have home security systems?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by skeletor25rs, Dec 9, 2009.

1. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

If you do, do you (and your SO) always arm it? And do you think it's worth the money?

A guy with ADT just came by. They're offering what he called a special, but it didn't sound all that special. I don't have a home phone line so there is an extra charge for wireless. Would end up costing $41 a month.

$199 for the wireless equipment.
    Other equipment and install is free, covers my three exterior doors and a motion sensor.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yup, I've had one since I purchase my home 9 years ago.

I've got a key fob I use to arm, disarm my alarm system. Both my wife and I have one, and we have one by our bed.

I arm my alarm everytime I sleep, or leave the house. It's also wired to my firealarm system.

41 is about what we pay.

since the "incdient" a few nights ago, my wife is wanting me to upgrade our CCTV system so that it's loop recordable. Rite now it only monitors.

3. thurman_merman

thurman_merman OT Supporter

i pay $37. i think its worth it, an audible house alarm is usually enough to ward off a crackhead and if something does happen i know that adt will call me and let me know.

around here they advertise free equiptment and installation if you sign a contract, i think its a year or 2. my house was already wired when i moved in so i said fuck yo contract....but i still pay for the service monthly.

4. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

I have one. I arm it when I leave, but the housemate isn't as good about it. Whenever we leave for a couple of days it goes on for sure.

A sensor went bad a gave a couple of false calls to the PD. Average response time is under 5 minutes. It won't protect my TV, but they aren't getting my guns that fast.

5. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Yes, we have one and use it all the time.

Don't get ADT. They use shit wireless stuff and overcharge you for monitoring. Find a local alarm place, they'll hard wire the system and use good components.

You're gonna pay more for the install and equipment going through a local place, but you're paying for the labor to run wires. The ADT stuff is big, bulky and you're changing tons of batteries at once.

I think I paid around $1k for two keypads, 1 motion, 3 doors, 1 glass break and a few window sensors, plus install, battery backup and cellular backup. Their monitoring starts at $13/month.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i dont have anything but renters insurance right now :hs:

8. skeletor25rs

I'm not getting a wireless system, it would all be hardwired. The wireless I'm talking about is the phone service, as I have no use for a home phone.

9. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

Yep, I have one with motion detectors, backup battery, and cellular dialout, all the normal junk.

It goes on at bedtime and when we leave the house. The doors are locked anytime we are in the house anytime of the day. I leave the tone thing on so I know if a door is opened.

10. skeletor25rs

How much does it actually save on your insurance?

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

You bet. $41/month and it's scared off at least one attempted break-in when I was out of the country. I think I saved about 5% on my home insurance.

12. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

i own a condo on the ground floor...and have been considering this.

has anyone used comcast? they offer home security for the usaul $200 install and about $25 a month. with all my musical instruments and recording gear, combined with all the toys I feel compelled to buy because of you fuckers, I guess its pretty stupid not to have one.

14. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Wow, I'm kinda surprised. ADT loves to use wireless and usually tries to avoid running wires at all costs. Still, I'd look into a local provider. ADT is gonna rape you on monitoring and make you sign a couple year deal.

15. skeletor25rs

I'm not thrilled about adding any more monthly payments right now anyway.

16. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

got one and it is on all the time. its early warning for someone trying to get into the house and invaluable when you think about it

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, I like the "chime" feature. I have a tri level house with multiple doors/entrances. My alarm tells me "back sliding door" "garage door" "front door", etc. So I know exactly who's coming from were. I have all of my windows wired, and have 4 motion detectors.

Having had one for so long now, I can't see not having one. Definitely helps me sleep a little easier, especially when I am out of town.

18. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i have 1 but i'm hesitant to suggest 1.
    the police officers i've spoken to aren't big fans, and some of the reason is the time lapse between alarm and police being alerted, but even with that flaw it's better than nothing. since no alarm would mean police are never being alerted lol, so several minutes is better than indefinate

19. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

yeah there was a news story out here recently about the police not liking alarms, whether it's store or home alarms, b/c there are so many false alarms they waste so much time responding to them. that's bs imo b/c that is their job! you get a call to an intrusion alarm you should treat every alarm as if it is going to be real

20. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Meh, $500 a year? How often are you planning on getting robbed? Once every 10 years? That's $5k. How much shit are they going to steal that isn't going to be replaced by your insurance, more than 5k? If you want to put $500 a year into something, reinforce your doors and windows, or buy 2k rounds of ammo.

I'm all for DVR video camera and probably window alarms which you can install yourself. This gives you time to brass check the AR and put on your multicam, but making payments for monitoring doesn't seem worth it.

The robberies that I've seen wouldn't have been stopped with an alarm. You're neighbor throws your patio furniture through your window when you're on vacation. Waits for an alarm or police response. Whether the alarm goes off or not, they just wait for the police to leave or not show up and then they steel your shit.

21. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

shitcast ftl

22. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

If you want one, check your local PD policies with response. I know here, we don't respond to residential alarms unless the security company specifically requests us and has good info it is actual and not a false alarm.

23. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

horrible way to look at it. o..m..g!! over 50 years you'll have spent 25k!! do you know what you could have bought with 25k!!! $500/year is jack for the security

24. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

good job on telling a random person who came by your house that you indeed do not have a security system

25. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I have a control4 system. It's a home automation system with programming you can set up to act like an alarm if you don't want to pay a monthly fee. My company makes their sensors, relays and motion sensors.

I have the house set up with a typical layout of motion sensors and contact sensors on all of the doors and windows. I have it programmed to email me ( to my phone) is any of them are tripped during work hours, at which point I can flip on the remotely operatable PTZ IP cameras and take a look around the house from any web browser. I can then control the lightsin the house and play .wav's over the house speakers. I have one that's a barking dog and one that's "the poilce have been called" I can play if I want. I should get one that's a shotgun rack sound effect.

However my gun room is my favorite setup. I have my control4 controller, router and one cam on a UPS. It's in the gun room. Even if the power goes out, ( at which point I get an email about that too ) all of the motion and contact sensors in the house still work ( they are all wireless batery powered devices). I have a motion sensor in the gun room, and IN the safe.

As long as they don't cut my comcast cable ( which is buried up to the side of the house and is hard to find where it comes in).I'lll know if the power goes out, anyone gets in the house, gets into the gun room, or opens the safe.

:)

If you guys want a baller home automation system with your own custom alarm and monitoring setup, check out control4.

plus you can run it all from your iphone, there's an app for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6oojtkeN-4

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009