SRS How many of you are in therapy?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by FredricaBimmel, Sep 21, 2007.

1. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

I was just wondering how many of you are in some sort of therapy for your problems?

If so what are your experiences with it?

I've been seeing someone for the past few months and its nice.

2. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

My problem with therapy...

Almost everyone I know goes to one... and I've never known anyone who has stopped going to one.

i.e. the problem never gets solved... complete waste of money and a scam.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Well its dependant on which therapist your seeing, but in overal people who don't goto theraphy are worse off then those people who prolong their problems without seeking help.

4. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

the gym is my therapy... it sounds like a meat head statement but it really does clear my mind and relaxes me

5. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

See... now this statement is scientifically proven to make you feel better. Working out does tons of good stuff for your mind and body.

6. Darketernal

That's true but it doesn't solve the gf issues that you might have.

7. keysmachine

keysmachine New Member

good psychologist asses the situation and that may take a day or so, if they feel the problem is deeper than what your expressing on the outside they will try and delve deeper into your psyche. and that may take a week or two.

once they discover the root of your problem they will give you a course of action. After that the therapy is done. you continuing to go back to them to talk is your choice.

8. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

I highly doubt a psychologist or psychiatrist will say "that's it... you're cured. You can stop coming now."

The fact of the matter... the therapy doesn't work. Clients build a dependence on it.

I have a couple friends who have been going since they were very young, and their problems are barely any better, and certainly not solved. We are talking about years and years of therapy and the same problems are still there. I know COUNTLESS people in this situation.

A few weeks? How many people do you know who have only gone to therapy for a few weeks? I can tell you that I personally do not know anyone who has stopped going to therapy after starting... and as I said pretty much everyone I know goes to therapy... so... coincidence? I doubt it.

9. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I go to a psychologist once a week.

Its helped me DRAMATICALLY. I'm in such a better mood and feeling a lot better about myself. I've completely done a 180, I used to be pessimistic and angry all the time, angry at other people because they didnt want to interact with me. During a few sessions, we've come to the realization that I have social anxiety, and that I my problems were self-created. I was putting on a front, which in turned only pushed people away. Since then I've "come out of my shell" I guess you can say. My mood is a lot more upbeat than usual, I'm getting a lot more done, and I'm looking positively towards what the future holds. I'm also a lot less depressed then I used to be, and I really don't think about suicide anymore.

Therapy isn't a waste of time or money :rofl: Going to a psychologist isn't a quick fix, I still have a long way to go, but I'm on the right path and moving towards my goals (which I have now)

:big grin:

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I do Wing Chung Kung Fu. Its very therapeutic for me, because relaxation is key to success in the art.

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Now that's interesting. Ever read scientific papers about psychotherapy ? It's also pretty much proven it works for some, medication works for some, health habits work for some...

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You don't have to be sick per say (ie : have a sickness which can be diagnosed) to see a psychologist. Psychologists have to deal with the fact that they have to work with subjective feelings and self-reported symptoms. It's mostly up to the person to decide that her psychological distress is significantly gone.

Most medical treatments for chronic diseases such as diabetes and obesity are building dependence. They give people insulin but they can't prescribe them to work out and lose weight, they can only suggest it. Anyway, there are bad therapists and bad ideas among therapy but empirically-based practice that's teached to nowadays psychologists is based on NOT making them dependent.

Well, not all health (mental or physical) can be "treated" and disappear. Most of the time, it will be based on coping with it. Some people have to accept that they'll have issues all their life such as personality disorders, type I diabetes, etc.

The major part of the people who see a psychologist see them for less than 20 sessions and 50% of those who see one go for 5-6 sessions and many people see one just one time.

13. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

Diabetes can't be cured... what is your point?

Actually most psychological problems can be solved... but not from an industry that thrives on them not being solved.

Where'd you get this statistic?

14. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

it helps me alot

15. Capital B

Capital B New Member

It helped me too. I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish with therapy, so I stopped going.

16. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Your backwards. The mind does wonderful things for the body and soul.

You have been knocking therapy and you haven't even been to it, you sound like a real awesome guy.

17. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

That's exactly my point. There are some diseases which can't be cured and with which we can only cope all our lives.

Please, tell me more about how you can expect to "solve" a personality disorders, someone who has a bipolar disorder or schizophrenia or OCD.

In :
    - Essential Psychotherapies, Second Edition: Contemporary Theory and Practice (Hardcover)
    by Alan S. Gurman (Editor), Stanley B. Messer (Editor)

- The Efficacy of Short-term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy in Specific Psychiatric Disorders : A Meta-analysis
    http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/61/12/1208

- Handbook of Psychotherapy and Behavior Change: An Empirical Analysis

- Theory and Practice of Brief Therapy (Paperback)
    by Simon H. Budman (Author), Alan S. Gurman (Author)

18. keysmachine

keysmachine New Member

Ptwiggens I can just tell you have some sort of resentment against something, while what it is remains unclear I can just feel it there regardless did you goto a psychologist and it fixed nothing? because if so then you didn't goto a good one, try and goto ones that have been recommended by other people. Word of mouth practices are better than those they provide commercially.

19. Darketernal

I have to say tho that Ptwiggens points out a essensial truth that there is the possibility of becoming co-dependant on a theraphist. If a theraphist relies on your money, then prolonging the problem = more money for them. That's money based theraphy instead of wanting to improve someone's situation. And that does happen , not only in the field of theraphy.

Problems are big bussiness, if you are dependant on some sort of medicine, then you are a steady customer to that producer who creates such a medicine ,when your customer finds a solution = end problem = end of financial income for that produces.

So yes, not all theraphists are out there to heal you, rather to extract money. Scammers like those however exist in all professions, there are good theraphists.

20. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

That's one of the reasons why seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist is important instead of seeing a psychotherapist or therapist or anything else.

21. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

We are talking about psychology... what is the relevancy of a medical disease? It has none.

The vast majority of human behavior is learned. OCD, ADD, depression, ADHD, some forms of schizophrenia, learning disabilities. You can be trained out of these things... unfortunately there is a multi billion dollar industry out there that would rather medicate than solve the problem. Follow the money...

you got 2 statistics from 4 books?

didn't see anything relevant in the link...?

22. Killuminati

Killuminati New Member

I am in drug/addiction therapy... Court ordered.. Although I dont' feel as if I'm an addict (but I have to lie to them and tell them that to move up in the program) I'm not gonna lie it has helped me look deeper into myself and realize a lot of my character faults.

23. IHAMWETARDDID

IHAMWETARDDID "We could make babies and accidental songs..."

I would really like to be in therapy again. I have so many unresolved issues that are ruining my life. My insurance doesn't have many options when it comes to mental health so I am looking for cheap alternatives. I just stopped going when I left my parents house. Now that I am older and more mature I understand how much it helps.

24. IHAMWETARDDID

IHAMWETARDDID "We could make babies and accidental songs..."

Same situation with a friend of mine. She got pulled over with a small amount of cocaine in her car that her husbands friend left in there (what a friend huh). She was an occasional user but nowhere near being addicted. Then she had to spend two years in a drug program for something she was obviously not addicted too. She had to lie to get through the program too.

25. Killuminati

Killuminati New Member

Yeah I failed a drug test for probation, they found coke in my system and the judge thinks I have a coke problem. Honestly I only did one line and hadn't done it in 2 years. I don't even like coke, I was jsut going through a fucked up period at the time.