How many miles is too much for a bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Paintballny, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

My father is looking at a bike someone offered. According to him its in excellent shape and has been well taken care of and just got new tires. Its a '99 Suzuki Marauder 800. Thing is it has 48k miles! Thats quite a bit but I don't know if its "too much" as I don't know bikes all that well. My father wants to offer 2k (asking is 2,400) What do you guys think? Seems like a nice bike and I'm hesistant to steer him towards another bike as he isn't a bike guy so if I start giving him choices he will just get frustrated and go for no bike at all and since I'd like to start riding if this bike/price is ok I'm going to push towards him picking it up.

2. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

He's asking the KBB Trade-In value for the bike, but I seriously doubt he'd get that much with a bike with that many miles on it.

48k is a shitload of miles for a bike, IMO; then again, it's not a sportbike so it probably hasn't been ridden hard enough to the point where it would be a huge issue.

3. 2K-2.5RS

2K-2.5RS No caffeine - No function

Ask for maintenance records, if it's been taken care of and never been down i don't see a problem. I don't know what problems plague that particular bike, call a local dealer and ask.

4. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

mine has like 38k miles and it's a sportbike and it runs great.

5. dangerflammable

dangerflammable New Member

someone said before that the reason you rarely see bikes with that much mileage is because they are usually stolen or wrecked before they start accumulating them.

6. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

That isn't a bad theory.

7. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

a lot of bikes have lowered mileage too. it's really easy to either unplug the speedo or reverse it.

I wouldn't check mileage I'd check more the state of the bike when buying one. it's not like you have CV boots, timing belt and such to change. the mecanic is simple it's valve adjustment, carb adjustment and youR'e alls et if the maintenance was good.

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I figure most bikes can go for 100k miles or more provided they are well maintained... $2k isn't much, but it still seems a little high to me for a 7-8 year old bike with 48k miles... Especially this time of year...

9. austincabot

austincabot New Member

48K doesn't seem like that many miles as long as its been taken care of. Hell, you can have a car with 48K on it and it can be as shitty as one with 300K. It's all in the care. If the previous owner was proud of it and at least kept up with regular maintance, I don't see a problem. Granted, things will need replaced eventually, just like a car. If the miles are mostly from trips or commuting, then it should be fine with less wear as oposed to being ridden as primary transportation.

10. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

my bike has ~98k miles on it, engine replaced at ~75k

11. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

35K on mine, 0 problems

**knocking on wood

12. V!

V! New Member

:ugh:

I would be worried about any bike that has over 20,000 miles

13. austincabot

austincabot New Member

Why is that?

14. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

it all depends on the bike and how it has been treated/maintained.

I realize that it is far from a modern bike, but quite a while ago my dad bought a BMW R75 with 12k miles on it. He proceeded to put >100k more miles on it before doing a top end rebuild, and then another 50k miles on it after that.

15. whip

whip New Member

I totally agree! I have a buddy that has 150k on his Honda and the thing runs great. He is totally anal about keeping it maintained and I am the same way with my vehicles. I had a 92 Suburban that had over 300K on it when I traded it off for my new one. Maintenance is the key!!