GUN How many guns do you shoot and how good a shot are you?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I thought this might be a fun little question. A lot of gun people seem to gravitate toward having safe(s) full of guns. A dozen different rifles, an ar for every day of the week, aks for the weekends, and a handgun set from every manufacturer. Do you have a lot? A few? How competent are you with them?

Personally I've been thinning my herd and I feel like I'm just an average shooter, but also feel like I'm doing better as the collection gets smaller. I think I get more range time to devote to each gun and learning how it behaves.

2. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

im an excellent shot with rifles and shotguns... notsomuch pistols

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You've earned a C on this assignment.

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i'm awesome with rifles i'm comfortable with, great with fullsize handguns, not so good with smaller handguns, and stevie wonder can shoot a shotgun with deadly accurracy.

i've been trimming my collection... guns i had not shot in over a year, are already gone. :o

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I own 7 guns. 3 of them I shoot pretty regularly these days. I am a decent shot with my 9mm pistol, an EXCELLENT shot with my Ruger mk3 22/45, and good with my AK.

I also shoot revolvers very well too. I am awesome with a full size .357

6. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

My dad owns a ton, so by proxy I do too :mamoru: Between the two of us though, we only shoot about 6 semi-regularly (a couple .22's and our hunting guns mostly).

I'd like to think I'm a a pretty good shot (with rifles at least, pistols not so much) thanks to the fact that I've literally been shooting for as long as I can remember.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I own too many guns, and I'm not as good with them as I want to be.

I kinds have an ADD mentality when it comes to guns/shooting sports. I'll shoot any discipline/event that I can, and I really like trying out new things. This doesn't bode well with gaining proficiency with one kind of firearms, but it's a fuckton of fun.

Lately I'm trying to develop my pistolship, and I've been shooting more of that than anything.

8. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I see yar viewing this thread so I'm about to get embarrassed...

I own rifles, a shotgun, and handguns. I mainly shoot handguns, out of convenience. I'm getting much better shooting them, my main problem is just anticipating recoil and just wanting to unload a magazine in a few seconds instead of aiming each shot.

I just finished my AR but have not had a chance to shoot it yet since the nearest outdoor range is 45min-1hour away from me. :hsd:

Last time I shot trap with my shotgun (which was a long time ago), I shot 19ish/25 which isn't too bad, I guess.

I would really love to take some professional training but I'm waiting to settle down to a specific location at the moment and start my new job with a higher income before I start all that.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

First this being the Internet I expect everyone to say they are proficient or even good with either rifle, pistol or shotgun. In real life they are probably only good in their mind. Being able to punch paper slow fire while shooting from a bench does not mean your a good shot. I'm not being a total dick this is the truth.

I cannot tell you how many cops, swat, ex military guys, hunters, or some tactical yahoo who watched a DVD and took a 2 day course ramble on about how bad ass they are.

Can you shoot on the move, can you hit moving targets, can you shoot from prone, can you shoot accurately strong hand or weak hand only, can you shoot distant or precision shots while under stress, can you shoot accurately at speed, can you read distance and wind, do you know your rifle hold overs for extended distances, can you hit moving targets with a shotgun, do you know your slug hold overs, how fast can you get a pistol out of a holster, how fast can you change magazines, how fast can you finger load a shotgun, how are your malfunction drills, how accurately and to what distance can you point shoot.

This is not gamer shit, these are shooting skills and this is just a cursory list. You have to understand your deficiencies before you can guage your real ability and work on improving.

I would say I'm just above average and this is based on shooting with guys that are world class. I'd like to think I have enough moments where I can hang and squad with these guys. I don't think they let me hang out because of my personality.

As far as guns I have a small collection of 6 pistols, 4 shotguns, and 3 rifles. I'm more about enhancing performance to it's greatest potential, than buying a lot of stock guns. I think I only have one gun that is stock, and one other that is mostly stock. Everything else has been highly modified.

10. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

yar is such a gamer :)love: )... but I wish I could still train/shoot with him.. :hsd:

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well I do give you credit for giving real thought to what your deficiencies are. Based on this I would say you have potential.

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Im good with rifles, and shooting shotguns. Not so much on reloading shotguns, and shooting pistols.

I own 4rifles, 1 shotgun, 2 Semi Autos, and 3 Revolvers (all of the revolvers were given to me)

13. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

i have my 2 pistols [P99 .40 and P22] and 1 rifle [Busy AR15]

im proficient slow shooting, standing, dominant hand out to 25 yards with the pistols. i have trouble controlling the .40's recoil for fast shooting. most shots in center mass but no sort of grouping.

with the rifle i have a long way to go. so far i can do 4-6" groups at 50 yards [irons] and i can put scattered holes on the paper at 100 yards [nothing in the black]

long way to go. i dont feel i have enough proficiency yet to warrant upgrading my guns.

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I have 3 pistols, a revolver, 4 rifles, and a shotgun. Save for occasional fits of paranoia that some weapon may not be available in the future due to logistical issues or other external factors or some random awesome deal, I'm not looking to expand my collection.

My marksmanship with the pistols and revolver is pretty average, rifles similar (never done much more than shoot from a bench with results that are nothing special), and the shotgun gives me good results on the local low-end trap range (read: three manual throwers with little variation in actual throw) ... without a choke. With the exception of the minimal dynamic environment of the trap range, my marksmanship proficiency has been limited to "slow fire paper punching" and I've never claimed otherwise.

During the run up to the enormous big ticket item I have just acquired, I essentially stopped going to the range.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I fucking suck at shotguns. Decent with rifles and handguns, always improving, slowly.

16. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I'm almost as good a shot as want2race

17. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

Pretty darn good with a shotgun
    Meh with a rifle (I'm about as good with irons as my eyes will let me be...dammit I need glasses)
    and very meh with a pistol

Oh and...
    4 pistols
    2 rifles
    5 shotguns

18. DIAFatty

DIAFatty Guest

i am pretty good with my shotgun as well, i am trying to get better with pistol and rifle, only rifle i own as of now is a .22(remington 552) i am looking to pick up a mosin soon but want a derringer first(job wont let me carry, what they dont know wont hurt them.

19. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I probably own too many, I don't get to the range enough in reality.

If I spend enough time and ammo (mostly getting back into the groove) at the range I can reliably hit a Torso sized target with a pistol at 50 yards. I have a couple bad habits, but none of them are constant so it make it annoying to work them out.

For rifles (excluding the 22) I am alright I could do the trick when hunting.

For shotguns, I'd say I'm better than average, but that's not saying too much.

20. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

own a glock 19 and a STI ranger II.

glock 19
    sub 1 sec draws (but avg in the 1.2 area)
    .18-.22 splits, A-zone hits
    not so good weak hand, just never dedicated time to it.
    1.7 avg on mag changes, tap racks are fast, but could be faster

havent shot the STI in months, just started shooting it again. havent done timer work.

just bought a shotgun recently too and although its a cool mofo, i havent done much training with it other then loading exercises and shooting on the move.

just recently i started to practice shooting in low light. everything slowed down a bit.

i also sold t he glock 19 and have a glock 22 coming. doing a frame chop and reduction to match the 19, i want to shoot out of a 5inch bbl but want the grip to be the same size as my old 19. also getting a .357 sig and a 9mm conversion bbl for shits and giggle.

21. smartypants

smartypants New Member

2 shotguns, 10 rifles, 6 pistols.
    Extremely good fast shot with a pistol (the only thing I really train at),average slowfire.
    Okay with rifle up to 400 yards.
    Okay with shotgun for sporting clays/birding.

22. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

There are enough in the safe that I'd have to go count to know for sure.
    I hunt a lot, but I don't use a pistol for that so I don't get much practice. Scored a 100% on my CHL shooting test, but that was a joke.
    I'm decent with a shotgun and better with my rifles. Favorite right now is my TC .22-250.

23. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

only guns I shoot regularly are the 10/22 and AK

Don't have any ammo for the AR
    Can't afford to just blast the K-31 (and I only have like 120 rounds)
    and I don't like cleaning the mosin (since I'm lazy)

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I don't shoot my Remington Model 4, because it's 32 rimfire. I don't shoot my flintlock pistol because, well, it's a flintlock pistol. I don't shoot my .270 because I am not going to be "that guy" walking into a 50 yard indoor range with a deer rifle and optics. I don't shoot my Charles Daly shotgun because it's so immaculately perfect after 30 years that I am afraid to take it out of the house.

Everything else I shoot. Now that I have a 10/22 that will get the most use, followed by the M44 and then the SKS or the M39.

25. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I shoot my Mosin a good bit because ammunition is cheap, I shoot my .22 rifle and pistol for the same reason. I take my AR out every once in a while to stay familiar but ammunition is too expensive to go run through a ton of it. My handguns (1911 and G17) get quite a few rounds through them. My K31 doesn't get shot much but that's because I don't have the powder to reload it. My shotgun rarely gets taken out to play, but I do have fun when it is. I just bought my Tikka T3 and I haven't had much time to shoot it since my scope died right after sight-in.

I was going to post more stuff about my shooting abilities, but since I haven't been trained by the SEALs I obviously suck by default. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008