how many fans should i have running in my box? too much noise!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

Im wondering how many fans I actually need to have running in my box.

(nothing overclocked)

350W generic ps (2 fans)

soyo kt400 dragon ultra platinum
    athlon xp 2800
    512mb ram

ati radeon 9600 pro

maxtor 80gb, 7200 rpm (?)
    maxtor 120gb, 7200 rpm (?)

dvd drive
    cdrw drive

(2) cathode in there as well, but i dont believe they put out heat worth noticing

i dont do anything intense, no drive searching, no image editing or movie playing. just gaming. hl2 is my poison at the moment, despite how sad it looks on my box

im running 5 case fans, blue LED "silent" from frys, plus the 80mm on the proc and the 2 in the ps, and the little one on the mobo.

(2) front of case
    (1) side window
    (1) rear of case
    (1) top of case

case temp gauge says 77.7F ambient
    mobo temp gauge says 106F for CPU and 85F for case
    72.4F in the room

when i was blowing all the dust out a couple of months ago, i turned off all the fans and it was still depressingly loud, but i wasnt able to narrow down the source. ive got those soft plastic "quieters" between the front and back fans and the case, and between the ps and the case.

it seemed that a large amount of the noise with all the fans off was coming from the hard drives. would the little rubber rings on the screws do anything? or are all these "quieters" just snake oil?

thanks for your time!

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

If you're hard core about it, I'd ditch the fans outright. A good liquid cooling system can do wonders to keep your temps and extra noise down.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

First... I would SERIOUSLY consider a larger/better Power Supply. Antec TruePower 430 is what I run in mine, but I only have 3 fans and no cathodes.

As for the noise, it would seem to me that those rubber isolators would simply allow for space between the power supply and the case, possibly allowing for vibration and noise. I have never installed them on any PC I've built. Try taking them out and narrow the source of the noise down.

4. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Amount of fans/noise is totally up to the user, i have 8 fans running at all times in my case, yes its loud but that doesn't bother me 1 bit. There are loads of quiet fans out there that you can shop around for. Or if you're planning on upgrading soon i'd recommend the Antec Sonata case, probably the quietest case/fans out there from a reliable company.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

is this the quietest case i can find?

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

i dont know why people run so many fans. fans produce heat also. some adding to many fans will hinder performance.

Try to get a case that had 2-3 slots for 120mm fans. 120mm fans, generally move more air, and are quieter than smaller fans.