How many calories should I be consuming *Body in stravation mode*

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Inferior_Light, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inferior_Light

Inferior_Light Dear Homer, IOU one emergency donut. Signed Homer.

I'm sure my body is in starvation mode and has been for the last 3 or 4 years. During this time frame I hardly ate lunch or breakfast (few times a month for several years) and always had a big dinner. This resulted in about 1000-1300 calories per day.

I've been lifting for 6 months and I've seen some OK gains, but not what I've been looking for. After realizing the problem I found myself on OT researching what I'm doing wrong.

For the past few weeks I've completely changed my diet and bought some Whey protein.

I've been eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. Consuming around 2200 calories per day.

I know I need to be eating more, but I'm afraid my metabolism will take a few months to get where I need be. I assume this is gradual process, correct?

I'm I on the right track? Am I eating enough calories? How long can it take for your metabolism to repair itself after this kind of damage?

Breakdown:

Food:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal/Eggs
    Snack: Apple
    Lunch: Teriyaki chicken rice bowl
    Dinner: Soup/Salad/Chicken/Fish/Pasta

All I drink is water and I have one glass of milk with whey protein after lifting.

Workout:
    30 minutes elliptical
    30-45 minutes lifting

2. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

It can be gradual yes. But I reckon you can kick-start it.

How much do you weigh?

I have a friend who did similar. He is 250lbs, and has weighed that for years - neither gaining nor losing weight. He ate lots to get to that weight and then started doing what you described - eating nothing until dinner, then eating 1000 calories.

He did two weeks on 4000kcal and then cut down to 2000kcal and stuck with it. Weight has been falling off ever since.

Depending how much you weigh I would perhaps try 1-2 weeks at 3000. You're not going to pile on weight and it might just help you lose it quicker.

I've never had experience of this myself, but maybe some of the other guys will have.

Diet doesn't look great though. I'd be surprised if that was 2200kcal a day. Oatmeal + eggs = 300ish
    Chicken rice bowl = depending on size, 400-800
    Soup = barely any, salad = barely any, chicken/fish = both low calorie, pasta high calorie but I doubt you're eating >1000kcal worth of pasta.

Those numbers don't add up. You might want to check them again.

Take the info from the food packets, put it into www.fitday.com as a custom food, then weigh your portions to get EXACT amount of calories.

3. Frazz

Frazz New Member

i had same problem after hs wrestling... i did about a 3 month gradual return to normal eating.

my trick- for the first 1.5 months dont try to look at your feet or in mirror :rofl:

the second 1.5 your metabolism should start to function normally and lost my babyfat for a second time

for the 3 months i switched upcardio daily, doing each only once a week (never gets boring and body will alway be shocked) (biking, running, elliptical, stairmaster, rowing machine, calethetics, hiit) and lifter about 1.5-2 hrs a day

went from 1200-1400 cal diet for 3 years to a 2200 cal diet.

did two methods (seond worked better for me - but my body is f'd up)
    1. up cal to like 4000-5000 a day go to chipotle 2 times a day snacks are meal replacment shakes. and a 6 egg 4 peice bacon and toast breakfast
    2. add about 100 cal a week.
    3. dont pay attension to WHAT your eating, just eat - want A poptart (eat 2). want a taco (get chipotle) want a burger (get a triple bacon cheeseburger fries and a frosty). want a cupcake (go eat an entire cake) :bowdown: wish id done that one

jsut eat more- start real healthy and more to fattier stuff for a few months,you will put body fat on but thats the way it goes, better to go up to 20% body fat and have your body start functioning again and lose it than to be at 8% and be in starvation mode.

after my 1.5 month hump i started noquarters workout and followed stickes as if they were the bible...

my recomondation is get a fitdday account and only update at end of day(your already obsessed with food/body so less time thinking about it a day the better)

im taking a front and side pic ever othr week for the next few years (rehabing a shoulder surgery to my broly goals) and im makin a .gif...

goodluck, its not fun, its not easy, but you need to do it, i feel about 10000x better now

4. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I don't think you need a few months

1-2 weeks should do it.. after that you can cut calories and start losing

don't worry.. you won't get subsantially fat (or more fat) in a couple of weeks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.