How many calories do I need to be eating and in what macro ratios?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thebeave, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeave

thebeave New Member

Cliffs to begin with: I want to go from 240 lbs to 260-270 while gaining minimal fat, how many calories and in what ratios should I be eating? Food list I'm working with is at the bottom, I can't stand to eat the same thing every day but I adjust as the day progresses to ensure proper ratios.

I'm currently 6'5" ~240 and ~13%

It's coming up on winter time and I want to gain some size. I recently had a bicep injury and I dropped from 250 down to 228 and I'm on my way back up. I'd like to get to 260-270 before I cut down then maintain.

M-F I've been getting ~4000 calories a day in roughly 40/40/20 ratios (p/c/f). Sometimes the fat is marginally higher but that is what I aim for.

I remember reading somewhere that a rough estimate of what you should eat if you want to gain weight is your bodyweight multiplied by 18, which would be 4320.

My diet is in check, Monday through Friday I have a very strict diet that 100% comes from the list of foods below except in the rarest of occasions. The weekends are still fairly good except I go out drinking some of the time, which adds some empty calories but the food intake remains the same (except slightly lower to leave room for drinks).

My question is: How much do you guys think I should eat daily and in what macro ratios if I want to get to 260-270 while gaining minimal fat. While 13% isn't that low, it's probably the fattest I've ever been and I don't want to go THAT much higher.

Food list I'm working with... just need to know how much and in what macro ratios:

-eggs
    -egg whites
    -skim milk
    -chicken
    -lean steak
    -salmon
    -lean turkey burgers
    -extra lean ground beef/turkey
    -salsa
    -vegetables (the steam bags I buy have carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower)
    -fruits (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, apples, oranges, avocado)
    -brown rice
    -natural peanut butter
    -almonds
    -oats
    -plain yogurt
    -cottage cheese
    -tuna
    -sardines
    -black beans
    -lettuce/spinach
    -olive oil
    -vinegar
    -balsamic vinagrette

2. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Tren.

3. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Wait what was the question?

4. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I want to go from 240 lbs to 260-270 while gaining minimal fat, how many calories and in what macro ratios should I be eating? Food list I'm working with is listed above, I can't stand to eat the same thing every day but I adjust as the day progresses to ensure proper ratios.

5. mandrew

mandrew New Member

6'5" 240 @ 13% sounds pretty big as it is. It's hard to imagine you'd get that big without knowing how to bulk.

6. thebeave

thebeave New Member

When I was 17-18 I worked out absolutely religiously for about 18 months and got up just over what I weigh now except abs were visible so I'm guessing I was somewhere around ~9% (which means I had roughly 10 pounds more muscle/less fat at that point assuming 9% and 13% are the true and exact numbers).

Since then (I'm 23 now) I haven't been serious in the gym (if at all) until the last year or so and it came back pretty quickly and I've just been half assing it and maintaining. I attribute my higher bodyfat to alcohol consumption and being lazy. Recently I made the decision that I need to get my ass in gear to solidify good lifestyle decisions for the rest of my life to ensure that I age gracefully.

I know how to bulk, I just want a little advice to fine tune my diet to minimize fat gain, since it is the last thing that I need to do to complete my training program.

7. RG

RG New Member

1. pick an amount of calories
    2. eat said calories for 1-2 weeks
    3. see if you gain, lose, or stay the same with said calories
    4. adjust as necessary
    5. ???
    6. profit

8. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I've been doing that. However, I make changes to my training program regularly and it's hard to attribute progress or regression to a single element.

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

It sounds like you're right where you need to be to me. You sound mostly like you know what you're doing.

How are you calculating BF% though is what i'm wondering.

10. thebeave

thebeave New Member

The number from when I was 18 is an estimate based on abs being very cut and defined, the number from currently is from about a month ago... the university has one of those "Pod" things where you get it and it gives you a bodyfat measurement, if this isn't an accurate way to get measured I'm more than receptive to other testing methods but this has seemed legitimate by feedback from other people.

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

well stop changing shit so often!

12. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Bod Pod
    An egg-shaped chamber that offers precision without pain. You step in, sit for 20 seconds, and that's it. The chamber measures air displacement, which can be converted to relative fat when weight is factored in, since muscular people are denser.
    Preliminary tests show it's as good as immersion.
    Found at only a few dozen big hospitals and doctor's offices, but it's quick and easy.

?!?!?! is that what you are talking about? If so, that is awesome

13. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

werd, changing shit around all the time it's hard to get a gauge on if you are progressing or not.

either way, it sounds like you know what you're doing. That bulk looks fine to me, fine tune the calories if you want or just overshoot them a bit on purpose if you don't care about fat gain.

14. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Also, since you didn't mention fitday, it's an amazing way to track your macros if you somehow don't know about it.

15. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I don't mean daily or even weekly... I just switch my routine up frequently and my sleep pattern depends on when I have tests, when friends come into town, diet changes based on my mood (but ratios and amounts stay fairly consistent). I find it very boring to do the EXACT same thing and my goals have changed a lot in the last year but I've now finally came to a realization I need to set a goal and get more serious.

16. thebeave

thebeave New Member

Yes, it's pretty cool.

So you think that bodyweight multiplied by 18 is a fair number to shoot for? So in the mean time I'll aim for ~4300 per day and increase it as I gain weight, sound good?

Yes, I use Fitday religiously. Everything I eat is custom added to ensure that I'm recording EXACTLY what I'm actually eating.

17. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Like I said, you seem to know what you're doing. Have at it and good luck.

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

You have to understand that getting swole is like one giant, long term science experiment. If you have 30 variables as opposed to 3 you will have a much harder time understanding what is going on so it will retard your progress.

You don't have to follow the exact daily routine but if you can minimize the variables you will be much better off.

19. thebeave

thebeave New Member

Yeah, I realize that. I try to stay consistent but some things are out of my hand. Short of being out of town or my recent injury I could count on one hand the number of times I've missed a gym session on one hand for the last 6 months, in reality it's probably only two or three times, so that is rock solid consistency. I could also count on one hand the number of times I've gotten less than 8 hours of sleep for the last 6 months on one hand and I usually get 9 or 10.

Here's what I had today. What's the verdict on milk? I don't usually drink THIS much milk but I do drink a fair amount (always skim milk). I had a long day of class today (Monday is the longest) so the fat ratio was a little off (I eat a lot of almonds through long days of class) but other than that and the milk this is fairly typical.

[​IMG]

20. mandrew

mandrew New Member

good god that's a lot of food

21. thebeave

thebeave New Member

I absolutely cannot fathom people at the olympic level who consume 2-2.5x as much as this (didn't they say Phelps ate in excess of 10k per day?). I feel like I would literally be eating non-stop. This was a lot of food and it's sure harder when it comes from clean sources, but I don't think this was rough at all to hit 4600. I'm going to be up for another few hours and I could definitely fit another meal in if I felt compelled to.

22. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

This

23. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

test + dbol

24. thebeave

thebeave New Member

What about off days? Should I be eating anything different on days that I'm not in the gym? I'm guessing less simple carbs since there would be no need for re-up to fill glycogen stores since you didn't deplete them.

25. RG

RG New Member

im bulking so i've been eating the same amount, just lowering the carbs i'd usually eat pre/post workout slightly and upping the fat.. but dont take my advice since im pretty small. :mamoru:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.