How long will it take me to install my new HU?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1200mk, Mar 13, 2005.

1. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

in an 03 camry?

ive never installed a head unit before but ive done everything else.

o and crutchfield provides instructions specifically for my vehicle.

2. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

15-30 minutes or so. :dunno: Depends on how well you know what yer doing. It won't take too long.

3. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

i was wondering if i had to bolt screws into the side of the head unit or does it just snap into a sleeve?

if i have to bolt something to the side of the unit that's gonna take a while.

4. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

do you not know anybody that can do it? if you are this unsure and you haven't even started, i'd give it to somebody and at least watch them first.

Making sure the wires are securely connected is the main part. If you can get that done without damaging any of them, you'd be fine. Soldering is the best means of this, but if you don't have access to those tools or you don't know how to solder, they make solderless connectors....I call them nipples because that's sort of what they look like. They work just fine.

If you don't know what you're doign though, I'd say an hour. It's just getting those wires right really.

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

do you have the jbl system? if you do it will add a decent amount of time.

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

No way is a guy new to this going to do it in 15-30 minutes. It will take him probably an hour or more, especially if he has never crimped wires before. To the original poster:

My advice is to install this during a time where you won't be in a rush for anything. Lay everything out and have a plan of what you are going to do ahead of time and read the instructions through at least once before you even begin. Make sure you have all the necessary tools. This usually means wire crimpers/strippers, screwdrivers, and crimps. You may also need a torx driver or socket set (sometimes). If you aren't great at soldering, use tunnel crimps. Buy the red ones from radio shack (they are usually 14-18awg or so). Match the crimps up to the right color on your crimp tool and make sure the wire is in metal portion and not the insulation (usually you strip about a 1/4" of the wire). When you tug on the crimps lightly they should not pull apart (not yanking, just tugging).

That's about it, just take your time and make sure all the wires match up and that your antenna is powered if it needs to be and you have the correct adapter. Also, I would recommend going on a forum specifically for your car to see if there are any weird things about your particular car. For example, on my car, if I would have hooked up what is called the "K-wire" (VW specific), I could have destroyed some electronics. This is a rare thing though.

7. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Not sure about an '03, but most Camry's are ISO mount, meaning you don't need a dash kit, but you do need to remove the trim around your radio/climate controls, and re-use the factory radio brackets. the factory radio is bolted to the brackets, and your new radio will need to be bolted to it once the factory radio is removed.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

when i installed a HU it took me 30-40 minutes, i hate japanese cars.

9. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

i am not worried... ive installed components and rewired cars plenty of times... the only thing i might have a problem with is bolting down the unit (if that is required)

10. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

The newer camrys need a kit.

11. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

it comes with one.