how long till quad cores come out for laptops ? asus w2p

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Sep 27, 2006.

1. estimate ? really wanna buy a merom core 2 duo lap .. had the asus w2p in mind which should be coming out in late nov.

anyone know how quickly they might remake this lap cause they did remake the w2 with the w2jb pretty soon after... so its just a matter of picking an ideal time to buy

2. ady

ady New Member

There are no plans for quad core in laptops. Buy it as soon as you need it.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

quad core xeon by christmas, quad core for the desktops in q1 of 2007, for laptops, gonna be a while after that, I'd guess late q2 or early q3 for a real laptop. for desktop replacements, probably closer to the end of q1.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

prepare to burn off your balls

5. ady

ady New Member

If Apple couldn't get a G5 into a notebook, I can't see Intel getting 4 cores in anytime soon. This is a heat issue.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

2 years.

7. someone please verify for me when Quad cores in PC's will be out

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Look it up. Why should we do it for you?

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

10. Coottie

Not true IMO.

As multi processor systems continue to be produced, software developers will continue to find was to improve efficiency. With the popularity of sites like youtube and google video, streaming music and videos running right alongside our everyday applications is becomming more and more common. Doing this with a minimum of lag is an appealing prospect for many.

11. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I doubt my 3 year old Athlon XP 2600+ would have any/much lag doing that... You certainly don't need another $ spend on CPU-development to achieve this. If a Core 2 Due can't cut it, well, it can.

My greatest problem would be my internet connection, but it's not that bad anymore.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Who gives a shit about multi-threaded apps when people run 4 applications at the same time? Multiple processes benefit from multi-core processors just as much as multiple threads do.

13. Coottie

Agreed but multi-threaded apps would theoretically be even more efficient so that's a good thing IMO.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Sure, but apps that benefit from multi-threading already have it.

15. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

What's the problem with burning a DVD and using the system? I notice a significant slow-down burning DVDs (not so much with CDs though), but this machine is three years old so it's nearly to be expected. On a modern machine, could you burn a DVD, perhaps while compiling a program (I do alot of that), and still use the system (to look stuff up, use IM, listen to musc, etc)?

It's one small thing I might benefit from with all this expensive new shit.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You WOULD run them together if you could. Thats the point: you CAN'T with one core. Whats more, with multi-core machines out there, more applications will be able to do more with more cycles than they can now, and the system will still remain responsive.

Personally, I DO run Photoshop, Eclipse, Firefox, Mail, Preview, Dreamweaver, MySQL, Apache, and Perl together... all day long. And my system remains responsive. Because its a dual core ;)

17. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Nevermind. I'm burning a DVD as I write this and it ain't that bad... It ain't bad at all :)

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Burning a DVD craps my system out. Computational heavy stuff blows.

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No kidding, it's like memory: the more you get, the more apps take advantage of it. Just because single threaded apps are the norm now doesn't mean they will be for much longer.

Here is an example. My PC has 2 Opteron 265's (4 1.8 GHz cores) and 2 Gigs of RAM. Right now I am running the following:

IE
    SSL/Explorer (SSL-VPN Server)
    iTunes
    Snag-it
    Zone Alarm
    AnyDVD
    Trend-micro AV
    RoboForm
    Picasa
    DynamicDNS update service
    VMWare Workstation with 4 running active VM's (all 2003 server, all with 196 megs allocated)

With all that any everything else (54 processes total) I'm sitting at 8% CPU and still have about 500 megs of RAM free. I can multi-task all I want. I can leave all that running and still play games with no problems.

I would NEVER have tried to run all of that if I didn't have 4 cores available. But since it's there, I utilize it. As multi-core processors become the norm on desktops and laptops people will find ways to use it.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I can rip and compress 4 dvd's at a once, or burn just as many at the same time with no performance loss. I've also played Quake4 while shrink was running in the background, with no issues at all.

And WTF basic apps!? I'm running 5 operating systems SIMULTANIOUSLY on top of running my everyday stuff. My base XP Pro plus 4 copies of Windows 2003 Server (2 DC's, one server running ISA, WSUS Beta, and one running Citrix PS4 and SQL 2005).

I fairly certain that tops your "16 windows media files".

21. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Since every consumer PVR software package I've seen is single threaded, I don't see any issues with recording at high quality, since it would only peg one core, just like on a regular desktop. Unlike a regular desktop, however, I could still work since the other three would be unaffected.

As for the DVD's, I can shrink from the disc in about 7 minutes. Does not change between one to four discs since again, shrink is single threaded. Burning at up to 8x (due to me having an abundance of 8x discs, nothing to do with system performance).

22. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Meh, just checked, maybe it is. Either way. I have 1 internal and 3 external firewire DVD-RW's and I have compressed 4 at a time and it didn't take any more time than doing one.

edit: the engine in shrink can only use two proc's. I knew there was something funky about it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  23. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I meant compressing 4 different DVDs at once. I compress to ISO, not back to a disc.

24. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

well duh. Four copies of shrink ripping four dvds from four drives and saving them to four iso's.

25. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

That's actually more memory intense than processing. A processor is capable of many calculations per second, but the bottleneck is memory speed as well as hard drive transfer rates. A dual core machine would have no problem doing it with adequate memory and a decent hard drive.