how long should my macbook c2d battery last?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZEKEthePLUMBER, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Full charged it says 3hrs however for some reason I was thinking it should last longer? Is there anything I can change in the custom settings to extend the battery?

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

On the battery button on the top menu bar, click and and select "better battery life"

also, reducing screen brightness and not running unnecessary programs will help extend battery life too.

3. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

3 hrs isnt bad... thats about the most ive ever gotten... but screen brightness is a big one.... also turn off your bluetooth and wifi if youre not using it

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i noticed that i got a little better battery life after conditioning my battery. i ran it down to nothing and recharged 3 times

i have to use wifi, but no bluetooth. screen brightness at 1/4, no extra programs running, no dvds to watch, i'd get around 3-3:15
    kinda sucks because i remember reading somewhere that it's rated for 6 hours
    from apple.com "55-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery (with integrated charge indicator LEDs) providing up to 6 hours of battery life"

i think the only way you will get that is not having the backlight on at all (which makes the screen almost impossible to see) and probably not running any programs at all, which means nothing for functionality

5. is there a "larger" battery available for the macbook?

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

not that i know of, if you're on the go alot, just pick up an extra battery, thats what i'd do.

7. good thinking :cool:

I'm going to check out the apple store now ;)

8. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

That is a terrible thing to do to a LiPo battery. However, I assume that apple has some kind of a protection circuit built into it, so you weren't actually running it all the way down.

That was cool for NiMh and NiCd batteries, but NOT LiPo.

"Conditioning" does absoluetly nothing to LiPo batteries, so any increase in stamina you may have noticed is completely in your head. If you were able to run it "all the way down" your batteries would have probably blown up on you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  9. dorkultra

hmm, i guess i read the wrong thing. i did notice about an extra 30 mins of life after doing it though

so i should just keep it charged all the time then?

10. tehaviator

No, just use it normally, charge it when you need to. I deal with LiPo batteries a lot, I fly electric R/C airplanes. We use special chargers that we have to set up for each battery, also, every airplane has circuitry to cut off when the 11.1v batteries get down to about 10.4...if you go below 9.9v, you are risking serious, irreversible damage to your battery.

That being said...with the macbook being a consumer-friendly product, and only using one battery, the charger is programmed with one set of values, and you aren't risking anything by running your computer till it shuts itself off. I was being an asshole in my earlier post. You can run your battery until the computer dies with no danger whatsoever. You are just not "running it all the way down" as you may think you are. :)

11. tehaviator

...god I hope that makes sense :rofl: I just woke up

12. dorkultra

ok, i gotcha. i was figuring that there was a minimum voltage requirement to even power up the macbook

so that power cycling and draining the battery really didn't do anything, it was all in my head, i probably just wasn't being power intensive after i charged it up for the last time, thats why i saw an increase in battery life

13. tehaviator

Right. Draining a LiPo does nothing.

Again, sorry if I came off as an asshole earlier. I guess I was a bit short...but I'm not a morning person :)

Last thing I want to do is piss off all the guys who are here to help me with my brand new computer :big grin:

14. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

The battey should last forever!!! Then i could stop using windows entirely :noes:

15. tehaviator

Well, hopefully those guys over at Steorn are actually on to something. If they actually have the technology they claim, you will never have to charge your computer, cellphone, or vehicle ever again!

16. LifeBurnsFaster

LifeBurnsFaster New Member

:bowdown: a future without batteries

17. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

When do I ever use my mbp when i'm not around a power outlet? Never.

18. 02SS

02SS New Member

since we're on the topic of batteries, is it bad to leave my MB plugged in until the little green light lights up and then leave it plugged in?

19. doesn't make any difference - according to Apple you should use the notebook like normal.

I have my battery up to almost 5hrs now with low screen brightness and bluetooth turned off :coold: