How long should i keep my starter bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dranian, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I learned to ride last december, and I've been riding a 2002 kawasaki ninja 500R since January. I've put a few thousand miles on it. I'm able to handle this bike pretty well, but I'm not really bored with it yet and I don't really think I'm anywhere close to being able to ride at the limits of what the bike can do. But a friend of mine offered to buy it from me in a couple months after he saves up the money. I was thinking about moving up around the end of the year anyway but I'm not sure if I should. I don't doubt that I'm capable of riding a faster bike, but I'm just not sure if I should move up so soon or if I should wait and try to keep improving my riding skills on the 500R.

What do you guys think, how long would you recommend keeping the starter bike?

Also when I do move up from the 500R, how much should I move up, what would you recommend as a second bike? Obviously I'm not hoping to get a turbocharged 'busa or anything too crazy like that, but i'm wondering if it would be too much to move up to a 1000cc? or should i just go to a 750?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. FiddyRR

FiddyRR New Member

hey, dont worry about what kind of bike you move into.

the best bike for you is the one you feel comfortable with. look at me, my first bike ever was a 1000cc Honda. never rode on my life till I rolled it out of the showroom. been riding since last june.... and I put 14K miles in just one little year.

go out there and sit on them bikes, if you are lucky, you might have friend that will let you test ride them.

my 1000RR is my first bike, I dont even think about letting it go. im ridin it till it brakes! Hondas 4 lyf.

-Loz

3. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Yeah, I know to get what feels comfortable, I just wasn't sure if a literbike is too much to handle as a second bike.

4. Arsenal4rs

Arsenal4rs BEES!!! MUTHERFUCKIN BEES!!!

Its really all in what you personally are comfortable with. Im content with my 750. I started riding a 750, and Im happy now riding a 750.

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

:wtf:
    -Tim

6. Chiron

Chiron New Member

+1, wtmfh

7. Jerm

Jerm I

+2

-Jeremy

8. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Exactly. If you are comfortable riding a 500 then by all means stay with the 500 but if you feel you need to move up for a bit more power then do that also. It would be a matter of preference. My friend just recently moved from his gixxer 750 back to a 600 simply because he wanted something he could throw around better for turns and canyon riding. It will all depend on your riding style also.

9. FiddyRR

FiddyRR New Member

:confused: u wanna elaborate on that?

10. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Thanks for all the good advice, I'm comfortable on the 500 for now, but I think I'd also like to move up to something a bit faster. I'll see if I can test out a 750 and if I like it then I guess in a few months when my friend saves up the money to buy my starter bike I'll buy myself a new toy.

11. 23103A

23103A New Member

500 to a gsxr750 is a HUGE jump...but if youve got decent skills from riding the 500 you'll probably be fine.

12. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Yeah, I've heard its quite a step up. I think I'm pretty skilled, besides taking the msf class and riding on the street, I've also practiced a good deal in closed off parking lots, doing some drills I've read about in books. I've read like 6 books about improving riding skills (total control, sport riding techniques, ride hard ride smart, twist of the wrist, and a few others) and they've helped me improve a good deal. So I think I'm ready to step up. I guess I won't know for sure until I hop on and try out something faster.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

waste of a reply :rolleyes:

14. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

when you start dragging peg move up to a 600.

15. FloridaF4i

FloridaF4i New Member

Basically he's wondering how your still alive...kind of same thing i was thinking too...?

I started out on 600F4i when everywhere i look i hear 600's are newb killers. It wasn't that hard...obviously i just took it slow at first. But i could not even imagine started out on a freakin 1000! How many times did you crash/have unexpected wheelies/etc... until you finally got comfortable on the bike?

I just hope you don't give the advice that 1000's are good first bikes to start out on...you might actually be the only one who's ever lived for all i know...? haha

Newb+1000RR=:sadwavey:

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

dragging peg isn't an indicator of a good rider.

17. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

sound 100x more prepared for the step up than the general population. i wouldnt be worried

18. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

this is true, it would be if his body positioning is correct but there are a hell of a lot more things than that to make yourself a good rider(smoothing braking line selection etc)

19. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Old topic again (gotta stop after this)...

...but I was one of the literbike beginners. I nearly got killed riding it like it was stolen...long story.

...to the OP...people race Ninja 500s, they are plenty fast. If you feel comfortable with the 500, you're fine. There's always going to be commercials or a riding buddy that will make the 500 seem inferior...but what matters most is that it's fun for you and that your mount is not intimidating to you. I started out on a 1000, but found out that a 781cc bike (almost a 750) is really nice and fits my overall sense of fun perfectly.

20. itsover954

itsover954 New Member

CBR954rr. My first. Been riding it for 3 years now. Never had a problem with it. Except that time a lady broadsided me when she "failed to yield the right of way."

Lesson: Just because you see them stop at the sign doesn't mean they will stay there or that they see you.

21. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

781cc crew :wavey:

I started off on a 231 (Honda Rebel) moved on to a 900 Duc Monster. I'm on a 781 Interceptor now.:bigthumb:

22. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Yes. From what I've read it seems you have fun on your EX and feel comfortable on it. Why not move to a 600? It's not like they're slow :hsugh: roughly 115hp out of the box. The 1000 is not going to be nearly as easy to ride as your EX. You're basically going to have to tiptoe around because 180hp will bite you in the ass really quick. I'd definitely suggest going to a 600, you'll probably have more fun on it than you will a 1000.

23. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Well if you end up getting another sport bike I would move to a 600rr or 635 from Kawi.

24. deanh8

deanh8 New Member

x2

25. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Test ride w/e you think you are interested in. Plain and simple. You won't know until you try.

I had originally thought of starting out on a 500R, but now I'm looking at the ZZR600 and wondering if I can limit myself and not get cocky. Only thing I'm not crazy about is it's not fuel-injected liek the 650R, otherwise it is pretty much a superior bike IMHO.