SRS How long should I expect to still get cravings?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chucklenut, Apr 1, 2007.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Starting as a new years resolution then turning into something serious, I decided to change my life and make myself sober. Couldn't have done it without the support of an awesome freind.

Last night, however, I got a strong urge to do cocaine. And I realized I miss the powerful feeling it gave me. I know it is very bad for me and everything, and unless someone puts a bump in my nose while I'm sleeping, I don't think I'm going to do it again - I'm just curious as to how long I'm going to get these "urges"?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm a drunk not a junkie but for me the cravings never went away on their own because I wasn't treating the underlying causes and conditions that made me drink. Until I started treating those things, I didn't get any relief and so I'd always go back to my drug of choice, booze.

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

So theres still something wrong that I haven't dealt with?

4. Coottie

I don't know you so I can't possibly answer this with any certainty. What I can do is tell you about myself and my own recovery. If it fits your circumstances great, if not...no biggie.

See there is a common misconception among many people that addiction is all about drinking but really, the problems lie in my coping mechanisms. I don't want to live life on life's terms...I want to live it on my terms. So I would try to control life and things in my life and ultimatley that made me upset, frustrated, depressed and sometimes angry. What did I do to cope with these feeling? I drank.

So basically before I got to AA I was unable to deal effectively with my feelings. Instead of feeling my feelings, I used alcohol to change those feelings. Sometimes I would drink to feel good (cuz I was feeling bad) other times I drank simply because I didn't like the way I was feeling. So I was living a life of constantly numbing or changing my feelings instead of simply feeling them.

That's not the only reason I drank...there are many others and some of them are very specific to certain circumstances. But to make a really general statement about why I drank...it's because I was unable to cope with life without the use of alcohol.

Here's where the disease concept is so helpful. Because it's said to be a 2 fold disease. 1) an alergy of the body and 2) the obsession of the mind. See when I start drinking, the phenomen of craving sets in and I'm then drinking to overcome that craving....which no amount of alcohol will do. But it's still there....that's the alergy part. The obsession part is that when I'm not drinking, I'm thinking about it. I'm planning when, who, how and all that....or sometimes I'm reliving past drinking moments that were "fun".

So when looking back on my life, I had HUGE problems when I was sober so often I'd drink to escape or run away from my problems. What I had to learn was how to live life without turning to alcohol and for that, I needed a recovery program.

None of this may fit you...you may not be a junkie. It's cool....I'm just sharing some of what I've learned about myself. If any of it sounds familiar, perhaps you should go to CA or NA.

5. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Your post has me thinking. Shit it didn't cure cancer or anything but you planted a seed in my head about this.

Thank you.

6. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

www.na.org

all we care about is what you want to do about your problem, and how we can help.

the cravings may never go away, or may subside and come back, however, you can eventually lose the desire to use.

7. Coottie

You're welcome.

Mission accomplished....I mean if all you do is look at your life and say naw, it didn't fit then cool. If however it does sorta fit, then perhaps you'll want to learn more.

As they say in AA, if you want to keep drinking (using) that's your business. If you want to stop, that's our business. :)

Good luck and God Bless.

8. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Thanks guys

9. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I did a lot of coke when I was using and, in my experience, the cravings go away with time. I never thought they would but they have.

10. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

well it was "recreational" for a couple of months. I was stupid, one of those people who thought i'm special, i won't end up like that. well after a while i started doing it more and it ended up that for a little under 5 months strait I was buying yola all the time. Teeners every 6 hours and such, the days when i had no money i got in a horrible mood. the 3rd month of those 5 months i started buying 8balls and everyone around me started breaking our freindships and such.

i would just like to say that today i passed up an opportunity for a free line :hsd:

11. Create

Create :free at last:

Stick with it.

Man, the last time I did a line was over 6 years ago. I still get momentary cravings. It's not often, nor near as strong as when I first stopped and substituted alcohol (which I've subsequently given up). For me, it's usually the smell of coke my brain fakes, then the desire creates a weak moment or two where if it was in front of me I'd likely falter.

Addiction's rough. You never quite beat it. Cravings never entirely go away, but they get weaker.

Drug use takes up a ton of your time. Make sure you've got constructive things to fill that free time with.

Start thinking about triggers. This is anything that triggers a thought of using again. Avoidance is a good thing for awhile, including whoever offerred you a line recently.

Hit up a few meetings. It's rough going the road alone, especially if you're currently being exposed to it by people around you. Trust me on this one. I quit drinking while living with an everyday drinker. Near impossible, but I had few options at the time and an incredible support group.

12. i killed tupac

you will most likely not be able to do this one your own

the good news is: you dont have to!

13. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

The groups I can go to....are they flexible? i have school and i work a lot, mainly because they don't have the people they need so weekdays and weekends im there. the nights after i work im with my freinds (this is 11pm-3am)

14. Aradia

Aradia New Member

Depends on what area you live in! Here in the metro atlanta area, within a drive of 30 minutes, I could pretty much find a meeting anytime of day (24/7 if I went to Triangle downtown...)
    I need a meeting...:hs: I'm at work tho:p

15. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

i dont have a car, i do take the bus everywhere though. maybe i could squeeze it in....i dunno.

Thank you though, I do appreciate it.

16. i killed tupac

call somebody they will pick you up, take a bus, whatever. I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you spent alot of effort to get loaded...

17. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

if by getting loaded you mean using drugs, then yes, you are correct. im pretty broke.

18. planepower2004

planepower2004 New Member

This November I'll have 4 years away from poisoning myself with cocaine- my drug of choice. Many prayers, 100 meetings in 100 days. Then 2yrs. of meetings 3 or 4 a week and 6 months of personal counseling with my paster. I still get cravings for this drug the most and some others as well. The most effective way to keep off these drugs for me, has been to avoid persons, places and things that enable me to use. I know I will get these cravings the rest of my life to some degree. I wish you the best! You will not stop till you hit some sort of bottom. I hope its not to intense. Good luck to you my friend.

19. britnewberry

britnewberry You can keep on drinking...but never drown out whe

I was just going to come in and ask pretty much the exact same question...
    I know how you feel.
    I don't think it will ever go away.

20. i killed tupac

remember, your best thinking got you right where you are at. Believe me, they will go away, they will come back, then go again. Cravings are an odd thing.

It is better to have the craving than be addicted again tho, amirite

21. britnewberry

Totally right...thank you for that.

22. i killed tupac

welcome to R2R :wavey:

23. britnewberry

Thanks! It's nice to be here. I'm not used to people understanding my situations and I've never really had anyone to talk to about such things.