How long should a laptop battery last

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ash. Housewares., Dec 13, 2004.

1. Ash. Housewares.

Ash. Housewares. Shop Smart

Asking for my GF.

How long do they typically last between charges? Anything you can do when charging it to get a better charge (liek discharge it all the way before charging?)

And how does use affect it? Will watching a movie drain it quicker than normal usage?

I am pretty computer savvy, but I know dick about laptops.

Thanks.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Depends. Anywhere from 90 min to 5+ hours. Lithium batteries last longer if you don't fuly discharge them. Top them off instead.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all batteries benefit from full discharges and charges -- even lithium ion.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

:nono: Worst thing you can do to a car battery. Lithiums do need to be completely discharged ONCE in awhile - but don't make a habit of completely draining it. They're limited by the number of recharge cycles it can go through so some of the newer laptops allow you to set the limit of the battery before the AC starts charging it again (better to have 1 50% recharge than 5 10% recharges)

NiCads on the other hand, would get a memory if you topped it off 10% each time, so draining those were more beneficial than Lithiums.

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

well the first thing is, it depends on the processor of your laptop. P4 usually last about 2-3 hours, Pentium-M usually last 4-5 hours.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

My P4M only lasts 3 hours :wtc:

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It depends on what you are doing with the machine when it's on the battery. To get the most out of it, go into the power options in the control panel to see how it's setup when on a battery.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Lithium batteries do not suffer from memory issues, such as those in NiCAD and somewhat in NiMH batteries. The "memory" problem is caused by a buildup of insoluble salts on one of the electrodes (don't recall which) during the recharge cycle. These salts prevented the electrode from being consumed past that level during discharge. Lithium Ion batteries don't have this problem.

Lithium batteries has a limited number of discharge/charge cycles before they begin to degrade and fail (~300-600). This is why most laptop makers only warranty them for 1 year. Like a car battery, they should not be drained. As a matter of fact, some batteries will lock if their level drops too low. Some safety feature of battery. It can only be reset in special chargers or by the manufacturer. Lithium Ion batteries should also not be charged to 100% constantly, as this will also reduce the life of the battery.

However, the battery meter circuits in the battery require that it be run down every so often othwise they loose calibration and report a false low at the common discharge point. This should be done every 30-40 recharge cycles.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you should eat your words.

Li Ion batterys DO suffer from memory issues. That is why most manufacturers include a "relearn" function.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

My inorganic chem teacher was a battery researcher, and battery chemistry came up alot. You don't have to believe me however:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

They have charge level calibrations because, like all batteries, they degrade over time and with each discharge cycle. If a LiO battery's charge goes too low, or the recharge carries on too long, there is a chance that Lithium metal will begin to plate the electrode. This will cause an "enegetic exothermic event" if enough lithium builds up. That is why they recalibrate.

11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

one of the biggest reasons the mass market switched to LithIon was because it has no memory

12. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

Totally depends. There are TONS of different laptop batterys out there.

If you really wanted to know go to www.batteries.com and look around to see which kind of batteries are out on the market.