TAT How long is the longest session you've done?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by FoolioABC, Jan 29, 2008.

1. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

So i'm going to be getting my third tattoo in a couple of months. The thing is, the artist i'm getting it from is in New York while I live in DC. It's going to be a fairly large tattoo, and the artist was saying that it would take ~10 hrs to do. He suggested that I just come for one entire day and do it all at once so I won't have to come multiple times. he claims to have a "light touch" and that I should be ok.

To clarify, the "single" tattoo is actually two tattoos on two sides (going "through" me, if you will).

The artist is fairly well known, so I more or less believe him, but is this going to be a grueling, tortuous experience?

2. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

Ive done 6 hrs. The 'tortuousness' of it will depend on the designs of each side. If there are lots of areas where he will be going over more than once it can get pretty bad. If most of it is solid so he is working on fresh skin more often it wont be bad at all. Since its 2 parts im thinking you will be ok. Just bring food and drinks and some sugar.

3. kai-li

kai-li New Member

6 is the longest I've done also. My artist told me that most artists won't work more than 6 hours straight because their hands get crampy and/or shaky after that long and they want to stay fresh.

I went in after a big breakfast, took regular loo breaks and some baklava. YUM. After one bad particularly rough session I took 2 advil at lunch though :p

4. Memor

Memor Active Member

right under 5 hours on my stomach and the edge of my ribs. Whole piece took around 18 total. I might've been able to go another hour but it was 10pm at that point and everyone had to go home.

5. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

yea, i thought he might get tired as well, but he said he would be able to do it. the artist is anil gupta at inkline studios, btw (inklinestudio.com) i guess i'll just trust him on this one

6. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

Your getting it done by gupta? :eek3: That guy has some amazing stuff.

7. crnkwlk

crnkwlk New Member

8 1/2 hours, once you've gone over about 4 or 5 i would say that the rest isn't that bad...

8. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

Haha yeah, it took me 3 months to get a consultation, and then another 5 months to get a weekend appointment. hopefully it will be worth it

9. Memor

Memor Active Member

It'll be brutal but worth it. Gupta is world class.

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Have fun paying out of your ass.

11. muhubob

muhubob New Member

Why do you care? :squint:

12. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Because so many people ride Gupta's sack when there's a million artists out there who are much better than him and much less. He overcharges for his work. Many many artists in the tattoo community agree.

13. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

:wtc:

on a serious note though, the consultation with him was pretty interesting. very different from the other consultations i've had. he busted out all these computer programs and planned out the design for the tat.

i'm probably going to end up getting this tattoo done, but out of curiosity who do you think is better? i like tattoos but am not really actively involved in the "community", and as such can only go by name recognization and fame.

14. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Just off hand? Mario Barth, Clean One, Matt Rassier, Grime, Any of the guys from Black Rose in cali, liucifur. There's so many. :dunno:

Edit: You don't need to be "active" in the community to know when someone is good or not. Pick up a tattoo magazine, browse some shops online, go to a tattoo convention. There's thousands of artists who aren't as well known as Anil. He's only famous because of his miniature portraits.

15. Memor

Memor Active Member

I know he takes a lot of flak for basically milking his popularity, but you've gotta admit his art is top notch. I feel like at that top tier, there really aren't any artists that are better than one another - just sort of specialization/specification in different unique styles. But I could be wrong too so who knows.

16. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

damn, pictures are hard as hell to find for these guys (in the 5 minutes i've been looking). anyway, thanks for the info. i actually did a fair amount of research before talking to anil (new york is not that close to DC, really), and i think the least i can say is that he'll do some work that i think i'll walk away happy with. i know i'm gonna pay out the ass for it, but i'm pretty confident in his skills based on the consultation. in regards to style, the piece i'm looking at is probably more of an artsy style rather than more traditional/punkish style, and judging from his portfolio i think anil does this particularly well.

17. muhubob

muhubob New Member

It's art - If he like's his work - why knock him? Why come into his post and be all negative...? If you have something positive to say or a recommendation that's fine... But to come in and just say "Have fun paying out of your ass"...

Nice... And who are you? The all mighty know it all of tat's?

No... Sooo STFU :nono:

FoolioABC - I hope your tat comes out just the way YOU wanted.... Can't wait to see pics :wiggle:

18. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

:ugh::fawk:

19. Bill The Butcher

Bill The Butcher Active Member

3.5 hours but he works fast

20. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

thanks dude. i'll def. post pics when i get it done, although it's not for another 5 months. i guess i'm a little nervous about the length of time this is going to be in one session. my previous longest session was like 3.5 hours

21. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

You are new here huh.:rofl:

22. muhubob

muhubob New Member

As new as YOU and FoolioABC :wavey:

23. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

Lurker crew, signin in:wiggle:

i don't really know who almighty buttons is either, but i get the impression from his stickied EDU that he's a tattoo artist somewhere. he seems to know what he's talking about :dunno: then again i don't think i'm approaching this from a completely uneducated point of view either

24. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

I was a piercer for 7-8years. Been involved with tattoo shops since I was 15. :hsd: I know my way around the business. You know what you want and you're going for it. :noes:

25. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

Well, at the very least I'm 99% sure I won't walk away with a tattoo I don't like, although I might be paying a shitton for it.

Random question before I forget to ask, what exactly is the etiquette in tipping with tattoo artists? Is it insulting or anything like that? In the past I've tipped like 50 bucks after my other tattoos. However, in all seriousness I will be paying out the ass for this next piece, so is it going to be necessary to tip at all?