MIL How long is an extended long overseas tour for AF?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SHIFT_blue, Dec 19, 2007.

1. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

How long is an extended long overseas assignement supposed to be for an unaccompanied single person in the Air Force? For example on an assignent to somewhere in Japan.

I ask because I think I got screwed and theres no way for me to fix it because I didnt know better.

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

3 years. I'm in that same boat here at Kadena AB. How do you figure you got screwed?

3. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Because for some reason I got 4. Ive been here 2 years now and just figured that out. And since Im a dumbass and didnt know what to look for Im screwed since my orders said 48 months on them.

I really thought I only had 1 year left here. I thought 1 more year was going to be hard enough... now 2 more? I really dont think Im gonna make it.

Anyone know if there is ANY way for me to get that extra year off my tour?

4. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

don't you get a second OTIEP for that fourth year? (second if you're single that is) shit another 30 free days of leave ftmfw

5. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

From what it looks like, someone made a mistake at my last base so I got no OTIEP, nothing.

I didnt catch this till now so I dont know what can be done about it. My supervisor said something about a curtailment (sp?). I dont know what it is, but he said it may be an option so Im going to look into it.

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

What's wrong with okinawa? I like it here.

7. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I think it's 4 years, I have a long tour here in belgium and it's 3 years

I could be wrong though :o

8. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Is it different for a 6yr enlistee? I'm a 4yr, and the standard tour is 2years, and the extended is 3yrs. This is assuming they haven't made the tours longer since I got my orders Feb 07.

9. c.a

c.a New Member

its two years unaccompanied amiright?

10. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Okinawa isnt that bad. Its my job and shop that is just ridiculously shitty. Its not only that. It starts when I first joined. I got a job that I hate and Ive been depressed ever since I got to my first base. Now Im half way around the world where my job completely sucks ass and Ive been here for 2 years already. Ive been even more depressed these 2 years and just when I may have some light at the end of the tunnel (the 1 year left) I get shit on with another year. Ive been in about 4 1/2 years now and Ive been homesick the entire time. I thought it would go away, but its just gotten worse now that I cant go home so easily being this far away. I feel that the AF has taken the best years of my life away and Ill never get them back. Ill be fuckin 26 once I get back home if I make it through this tour.

Enough of the rant. If I cant get that year off, I may just do something stupid and fuck my life over. Sorry for the rant had to do it.

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You are joking right? Are you one of those airman that hides in their dorm rooms and plays WOW all day? Every job sucks, but Okinawa has alot of things to do. What have you done since you've been on the island?

12. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Clubs/Bars (which suck ass compared to the states), Beaches/Snorkeling, Off-roading, drifting, chill with superficial friends.

I just started gaming again with Halo 3.

13. c.a

c.a New Member

yeah you sound real depressed to me..

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You don't go very far from any of the bases/camps then. There is alot to do on the island. Hell why not go learn how to fly an airplane? TA supposedly pays for ground school.

15. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

I don't understand how anyone could not have fun over there. I know its not your redneck bar back home, but damn, go pick up some girls and go party. Japan is one of the best places in the world!

16. 3MTA3

3MTA3 er skotin mit mein ambatt

You can always do what one of my guys did, volunteer for an IA/GSA (or whatever they are calling the augment jobs this week), he volunteered and was picked up the following week, the same week he found out his wife was pregnant. However, since your 4th qtr budget is already going to the Army; why not go where the money's going? Who knows, you may get lucky and get guard duty at GITMO. Much more fun there than getting an OTH and having to explain to every potential employer why you were kicked out.

17. 3MTA3

3MTA3 er skotin mit mein ambatt

You definately are not on the KITTY HAWK.

18. tattooed_sailor

tattooed_sailor New Member

Bullshit dude :rofl:

Well I was on there when it pulled out, but when it was in I was up in Atsugi.