COMIC How long have you been a fan?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Jacy, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

What/who introduced you to anime and when? What were the first series you were exposed to?

I watched Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon religiously when I was 11/12 ... (it was released in 95).. and it's what hooked me on anime (the DIC NA dub :barf: ). I watched my first BSSM fansubs a year later .. One of my online friends sent me the Fushigi Yuugi box set when I was 13 (5 years ago)... which led me to Rurouni Kenshin .. and so on

I've been into anime for 7 years :)

by the time I was 13, my room was decked in BSSM stuff
    20 posters
    5 wallscrolls
    a plushie
    4 figurines
    5 dolls
    a clock
    3 pens
    2 stamps
    2 keychains
    a magnet
    a ring
    an addressbook
    a piggybank
    200-300 trading cards
    way too many stickers
    postcards
    stationary
    2 backpacks
    a jar
    an organizer

.. that's all I can remember.. :o

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  2. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

Since 1988, I watched many animes when i was 5.

3. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

uhmm, just because you watched anime when you were five, doesn't mean you were an anime fan back then

when did you start collecting anime and manga?

4. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

you dont have to collect to be a fan I believe, you can just watch :)

5. Grass Jelly

Grass Jelly Guest

Watched anime for as long as I can remember, but didn't really become a fan until I was around 12-13.

Macross Plus was what got me hooked, the animation blew my mind.

Anime was so scarce back then, I remember sending for B&W anime catalogs/newsletters, never really ordered anything (too damn expensive) I just looked at the pictures and read the synopses. :rofl:

6. chojin

chojin You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance

about a year ago I got back into anime when I saw VHD: Bloodlust

I saw Fist of the North Star when I was younger and religiously watched Voltron

7. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

About 4 years ago when a friend who works for ADV Studios introduced me to it.

Watching ADV DVDs before they are released to to the public=:cool:

8. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I've known anime since watching Voltron as a child.

I started actively collecting and watching anime in 1992.

9. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i think the first anime that hooked me was akira when i was twelve. they could do incredible things with drawings that wouldve looked gay and cheesy with live action. i watched some of the other more popular titles like robotech and ninja scrolls. by the time i got my computer and broadband, they had just started showing gundam on tv here, so i searched scour to see what i could find and downloaded Endless Waltz :cool: then i figured out irc and went from there. :)

10. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

I was the Vice President of the Anime Club in my high school back in Junior year '93.... **GEEK ALERT** :rofl:

I've always loved to rent every single movie in the 'Animation' section at Blockbuster back in the early 90's....but I never really bought any Anime until DVD came out...

Ghost in the Shell was the first one I saw in a theater... :eek: :bowdown: Also it was the first Anime DVD I bought...then Vampire Hunter D & VHD2, Akira Tin Set, and loads more.... don't feel like posting my Anime collection...I'll post a pic of it all sometime. :cool:

But my earliest exposure to Anime was way back in the 80's...Voltron, StarBlazers (I can even sing the theme song :o ), Robotech, etc.

11. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

I really don't know. :dunno:

I used to be a die-hard Voltron fan as a kid. Loved the Transformers like you wouldn't believe.. I even cried when Optimus Prime died. Have a strange infatuation with Aeris of FF7.. Does this make me a fan?

12. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Ah well excluding the Transformers and Voltron from when I was a little guy, Id say mid/early 90s. Got really hooked from the Festivle of Anime the SciFi channel use to do, before the Saturday Anime stuff.

Ive got an unrivaled collection of Final Fantasy stuff too :big grin:

13. neo_omega

neo_omega New Member

I've been a fan since kid. Read manga and watch anime on TV. My first manga was DORAEMON. My collections includes, 100+ G-kits, 100+ Gundams and Mecha models, three book case of Manga, LD/DVD/VCD box set and sound tracks.

14. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

Since way back when they used to show Robotech on Cartoon Network:big grin:

I watched Speed Racer and prolly some other animes before that but i didn't know that they were animes, I think they took Robotech off and I was sad, but i found something about it on the internet oneday.....:bigthumb:

15. TriShield

You should check out Macross DYRL, Plus, II, 7, and Zero if you love Robotech. :big grin:

16. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

when i was a kid i watched coltron and robotech, cant remember much of it then
    then in college i got to watching Dragonball Z, then i saw Akira, then Cowboy Bebop, then i started to download them all off kazaa a few months ago

17. neo_omega

neo_omega New Member

you can skip 7. But "Do you remember love?" is a must see.

18. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

Since about 1988...

If anyone remembers the magazine Starlog.. I had a "Japanimation" (as it was called back then) fan news letter that I would send to subscribers.

Got my first model around this time.. Star Blazers Yamato.

19. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

***SPOILER*** (I think)

Is that the one where they bring back the SDF-1 and try to destroy their enemy - but the enemy lives and attacks them and destroys the entire SDF-1 except the part they're on? Cause that movie really sucked:(

20. neo_omega

neo_omega New Member

Nope

21. kusanagiz

kusanagiz New Member

Around 1995. I started watching during my Senior year in High School. It carried through the first 2 years of college. Since I moved to UCI I wasn't around my local anime shop so i would go to the UCI Anime Shop (forget the name). Used to have all the good shit out AND in subtitle! Not this dub crap. Then it waned up recently when I started watching again.

22. TriShield

***SPOILER****

Yeah, that's Macross II, and it really SUCKS. It isn't actually a part of the Macross continuity either.

You really need to see Do You Remember Love? It will own you if you loved Robotech. :big grin:

23. Jaron95

Jaron95 "Gattai" dattou?!

Screw you, geeks! ANIME IS FOR FAT NERDS!!!! :fawk:

:o

I bought the dubbed VHS of Akira one night on a whim. I watched it, didn't quite get it, but loved the animation & action. A while later, I picked up Ghost in the Shell, and I liked it too. Ninja Scroll came along shortly thereafter, and I remember seeing Fist of the North Star a long time ago. :dunno: It's all sporadic until I got into Rurouni Kenshin about a year or so ago. :bowdown: For whatever reason, I really connected with the characters (especially Kenshin), and the rest is history. :big grin:

I love how a lot of anime (and Japanese videogames, for that matter) incorporate actual things, places, and events into their stories to make them seem more "real". Initial D uses real cars & real locations. Rurouni Kenshin is a fictional story based around actual historical figures & events. Tokyo Xtreme Racer & GT3 are based on real cars & locations, too. :bigthumb:

24. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Gaining currency.

The first anime series is Cowboy Bebop which was introduced to me by a friend a month ago. I was skeptic at first but after a couple of episodes I was hook.

25. mitsubi

mitsubi OT Supporter

I guess i've been a fan ever since Robotech and Voltron was first aired on tv in the 80's! I would watch those shows like it was a religion! Then later on when i was about 16 or so one of my friends got ahold of Akira and i just thought that movie was the greatest invention since sliced bread! Then from there i went out searching for more movies like that, and came across Legend of the Overfiend of all movies and after dropping my jaw with sheer amazment at the sex and violence in it, i was hooked for sure! Since then i've probably colleced about 200 various videos and dvd's of animation, ranging from Orguss to Kimagure Orange Road to Ah, My Godess to Bubblegum Crisis ........i'm sure you get the idea! Anyways as of the last 4 years or so i have not been watching to much of it, just not enought time in the day! I still think anime rocks and will always be a fan of it though!