SRS How long does it take you to get to sleep?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wrigley, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Wrigley

Wrigley New Member

Often takes me a good 40 minutes of just lying there with my eyes shut. Sometimes takes over an hour and it's fucking annoying

2. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Well I've been drinking myself till I passed out for the last several years, taking another stab at the quitting thing and well I've been staying awake about an extra 2 hours a night now, so well I should go pass out now I think.

Miss those days, I lay in bed now for hours going over things in my head, drunkenly passing out was so much easier.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Practice. Force yourself to think about how nice it feels to get a good night's sleep instead of thinking about...well...anything else. Visualize the goal, as they say.

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

It depends on the type of day I've had at work really, sometimes I'll lay down and be out within a couple minutes.

5. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

couple minutes to an hour or more. Depends on my day and how much sleep I have been getting that week.

6. Thought Thinker

Thought Thinker Circling the drain.

Unless I am REALLY tired, I have to lay there and watch t.v. for about 30 minutes to unwind, then it takes about another 30 minutes until I actually fall asleep.

Sucks.

7. Mettle8

Mettle8 Blah.....

Thats it only an hour for you guys to fall asleep. LoL Try 2 hours or more. And this is 5 days out of the week on average. I have been thinking about having a Sleep Study done in the Spring.

8. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue OT Supporter

They say that it's very important to not spend any time in your bed unless you're going to sleep. This means no studying, no lap top, no watching tv in your bed. This way your body trains itself to know when it's "sleep time". If you get into bed after watching tv in it for 2 hours or sitting there on your lap top. Your body won't always know what it's supposed to do.

9. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Ever notice how when you really want to stay awake, you fall asleep. Or when you really want to fall asleep, you stay awake.

Me personally, it can take anywhere from about 5 mins to 3-4 hours to fall asleep and everywhere in between. Yep...it sucks but that's my life. :)

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

i always say to myself, i don't have to sleep , and be just completely satisfied with lying here, then i fall asleep.

11. wax

wax New Member

Something to take into consideration is, how long are you sleeping after you fall asleep? Are you taking 2 hrs to get to sleep then sleeping 9 hours? When I have trouble getting to sleep its usually because I've either had too much sleep from the night before. Or I haven't exerted enough energy through out the day. The norm for me is between 30 mins to a couple of hrs to fall asleep.

12. teo

teo . => ? => !

Anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour or more. Usually somewhere in the range of 5-10min.

The main factors for me, other than the quality/quantity of the previous night's sleep, are my general stress level and wind-down activities. If I play a bunch of video games or do something involving high-intensity physical or mental activity (especially mental), it takes forever to fall asleep. If I do some reading (fiction, so I don't have to think too much :mamoru:) or watch some TV beforehand, it doesn't take long at all. Sex is the anomaly. One good round and I'm out. None of that talking-about-shit-afterwards BS! :rofl:

13. Aviv

Aviv OT Supporter

I've always had trouble falling asleep. It's like I instinctively start thinking about all the things that worry me right when I try to sleep.

Now I'm out about 30 mins after popping my sleep meds.

14. Capt. Slow

Capt. Slow Member

It usually takes me about 30 minutes to fall asleep, and i wake up a few times a night.

15. Daria

Daria New Member

I find it helps to try not to think of ANYTHING. It's a hard thing to describe, but usually if I'm sleeping and thinking about lots of things, I can be up for like 4 hours after I lay down and close my eyes. If I "focus" on keeping my mind blanck (I can't accurately describe how to do this), I fall asleep very quickly.

There's other things involved too. Like if I have one coffee after 4PM, I usually can't sleep until after midnight, no matter what time I go to bed. If I haven't gotten enough sleep in two or three days, I usually pass out immediately after closing my eyes. If I exercise after 7PM at night, it's the same as the coffee thing. If I haven't exercised for a few days, I toss and turn till after midnight. If I have a large meal, I practically pass out at the table. If I'm sleeping on a shitty mattress, I may get 2 hours sleep a night if I'm lucky.

Most of the time I pass out immediately when I go to sleep. My whole life, I haven't had any significant sleep issues. I think it's just the way I am.

16. Alex G.

Alex G. New Member

Usually takes me 40~50 mins to fall asleep.
    One thing is try to think or imagine situations in which you aren't included, or that ur not taking part actively, always helps me.

17. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

5 minutes tops. I lay down, shut my mind off. and just lay there. Then i sit up, get showered and ready for work and i'm out the door. SO hates how easily I fall asleep.

edit: I wonder if there's a 7 foot tall 4 fingered 4 toed blue guy living my life when i'm unconcious.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  18. Dio Seijuro

Dio Seijuro New Member

Same here.

I notice that when it takes very long time to fall asleep it's either because 1) I don't physically need to sleep yet or 2) there's stress

I feel bad for those poor bastards who can't fall asleep in 10 minutes...I think they might be too stressed.