SRS How long does it take for you to fall asleep?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mr. Badass, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Mr. Badass

Mr. Badass New Member

on average,how long after your head hits the pillow does it take for you to fall asleep? don't count days where you read something or watch tv beforehand.

i think the happiest and most self-accepting people fall asleep the quickest. my dad and brother fall asleep within 1 minute (i've seen it happen :eek3:). on the other hand, i think unhappy people spend the day brooding over what went wrong, how much they hate themselves, dissecting each and every single aspect of their day, etc. so it takes them longer to fall asleep. in some cases, much, much longer.

what do you guys think?

2. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

I think you are right. My Dad can close his eyes and start snoring just like that. If I have a shitty day I take longer to sleep, sometimes up to an hour.

3. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

when my sleeping pattern is cool sleep like :bowdown: now my dad screwed it up this morning wont be fixed til next week :mad:
    EDIT: just read your post its 15-60 mins

4. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

When something's bothering me a lot, I probably can't sleep at all. I take 2 Tylenol PM but I am still up for a while before I finally succumb.

But on regular days, I think...15-20 mins?

5. KSNIPPY

KSNIPPY As lost as i get i will find you

ill agree aswell. when theres something really on my mind it will take forever to fall asleep and then i keep waking up through out the night.

and it usually takes me about 5-10 minutes on a normal day but sometimes it can take up to an hour

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I used to lay awake for hours. Now that I have a job, I can fall asleep in five minutes.

7. Kirbys Autumn

Kirbys Autumn Mrs. Kirby McSpic

. It also depends a lot on what I've done through the day. If I'm really tired I can just lay on the couch and :sleep: right away (happened yesterday lol). But, yeah it all depends on how the day goes basically.

8. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

For me it really depends on how much I've done that day. If I was just a bum around the house all day it takes me a while to fall asleep. But if I had a test, and had to work, and had to go to the gym, then I'm out like a light when I hit the bed cause I'm just beat. I think it has a lot to do with how content you are as well, because if you are really worried than you turn shit over in your head for hours without sleeping.

9. Leaden Grudge

Leaden Grudge OT Supporter

Usually about 30-45 minutes. I don't really agree with the unhappy people taking longer to fall asleep, it's different for everybody. My mind just starts wandering when I lie in bed, not brooding or anything, just one thought leads into another and it takes a while for me to quiet my mind.

10. Mr. Badass

Mr. Badass New Member

i guess you're right. what i meant to say was that people who take a long time to fall asleep are usually ones whose minds are constantly at work thinking about stuff. and these are the type of people that fall into depression because of that very reason, they can't let go of anything and just accept things as the way they are.

11. lauren

lauren Active Member

the other night it took me like 3 hours to fall asleep.....i was stuck thinking about how to make pop up cards. :mad:

pretty much anything will keep me up at night. usually takes an hour or two to fall asleep.

12. Capital B

Capital B New Member

Right now it's taking me about 30-45 minutes to fall asleep, but I used to lay awake the whole night and THEN fall asleep just as the sun was coming up. It sucks when you go to bed at 11 pm and lie there until the birds start chirping.

13. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

I'm pretty much exhausted by the time my head hits the pillow at night so it's < 5 min for me.

14. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

I am passed out when my head hits the pillow...being a mom FTW :hs:

15. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Im out as fast as I want. I don't really think about it, just do it. I like to day dream a lot. On days when I don't fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, I think of music that my head just creates like a beat and am usually out before I get one down lol.

16. mg

mg OT Supporter

damn. maybe i should get checked out for depression or emo-ism because i can't fall asleep for hours.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Maybe you should get a road bike and ride flat-out until you can barely stand. That's what I do.

18. BMH

BMH New Member

right now about 15mins during the summer about an hour too damn hot.

19. dano

dano OT Supporter

Like 30 seconds. I'm on a long-acting benzo for seizures and it knocks me the fuck out lol.

20. Mogul

Mogul New Member

Could be other reasons why people don't sleep. For example, you could have sleep apnea and need medical attention. But yeah I agree its much easier to sleep if you dont lie in bed and obsess over things.

21. ridah626

ridah626 OT Supporter

usually takes me anywhere from 5 mins to 2 hours. i usually cant sleep without music on. if my music is off i start to think about the most random shit. lol

22. Jobe

Jobe keke ^_^

If I force myself to go to bed... hours. If I'm actually tired, <15min, but this almost always occurs when I do not want to sleep, say around 6-7pm.

23. Dorn

Dorn New Member

It can take forever for me. I've laid in bed the past few nights for up to an hour and a half trying to fall asleep. I think it's been a combination of not being able to get comfortable and having all the stuff from finals going through my mind.

24. basmith526

basmith526 What makes you so great?

1-2 minutes, I guess you have to be good at something.

25. Socrates

Socrates New Member

For years I took Tylonel PM to fall asleep. I would stay awake until the pills made me ready to fall asleep.

With a newborn baby, I had to make myself stop taking those.

Now, I have a few different things to help me fall asleep fast:

1) The bed is for sleeping only. Not an hour of TV before, no homework, and no music (unless it has no words; I prefer classical). If you leave a TV on while sleeping, your mind is still trying to process what you are hearing, even if you are asleep. Sometimes I'll read for a few minutes in bed to help.

After you get in the habit of having a bed for sleep only, your body will naturally condition itself to feeling sleepy when you get in the bed.

2) I do a full-body muscle relaxation exercise. Starting with my toes, I'll tighten the muscles fairly hard for three seconds, then let go. Next, I'll do my feet, calves, thighs, stomach, chest, arms, shoulders, and neck. The goal is to feel the "negative" leaving your body. Sounds stupid, but it works for me.

3) Stop thinking/worrying so much in bed. If you have to, set aside a "worry time," before you sleep. Usually you'll find you have nothing to worry about. If you find yourself having difficulty not thinking, do another muscle relaxation, count things (I like sheep ;D), or pay attention to the wordless music.

I hope that helps. I used to lay in bed for hours each night before falling asleep. Now, it usually takes 5-10 minutes.