SRS How long does it take for withdrawels to set in?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gnat, Aug 16, 2005.

1. gnat

gnat New Member

I've been prescribed Norco 10mg Hydrocodone's @90/month for the last few months, prior to that it was around a year of Lortab 7.5's @60/month. Also 60 soma's a month for muscle spasms.

I found myself taking the soma's in the evening because they would ease my backpain as I lay in bed and drift off to sleep. I didn't like taking them at work. I stopped taking the soma's weeks ago, and it was hard to fall asleep. I'm over that now, and don't seem to have any issues falling asleep. In fact I'm going to bed earlier now because I recently stopped taking my norco's. The norco's always gave me alot of energy and thats why I would stay up later and I find myself getting tired earlier now.

My girlfriend moved out saturday and I thought it would be a good idea to have a clean head while working this touchy situation out. I did the same thing with alcohol when I went through a divorce. Stopped drinking completely, otherwise I'm a fairly casual drinker. Btw I've had one beer since Saturday, and ZERO prescription meds'. I had 3 ibuprofen for pain last night. I've been a little depressed with the girlfriend situation and I know depressents aren't going to make it any better. Plus when I get down like that I don't want to take/drink anything. I like to deal with it head on.

I would always make my prescriptions last, I never had a problem loosing control with them and my doctor always asks how that's going... I'd give a few away if someone is hurting but I never would feed them to anyone like candy. So after giving some away here and there I would end up taking 2-3 a day max. I never really thought of myself as having a problem with them. I took them for pain and pleasure but the best part is they'd take my mind off the pain and allow me to be productive instead of obsessing over my back. My pain is so frustrating at times it can make me very angry.

All that being said, I haven't taken any since my g/f left me (sat-tues clean). Should I have felt any withdrawels yet? The only thing I notice is when I'm hurting I think about taking it for a split second then I tell myself no and that's it. My back and leg pain has increased but that was right away. I've never really had a problem with any addiction to tell the truth. I've done it ALL for long periods of time(minus needles) in my youth and stopped it all without any issues. I haven't done any serious drugs in about 9 years.

I just wonder because I know this drug over time is supposed to cause a dependency and I'm curious if I'm going to notice it any more than just in my head. Have I not given it long enough for withdrawels to set in or am I just different than so many who have issues with this? I see alot of friends who struggle with this so I know its common. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

2. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Thats rather strange, most people would have bad onset within about 20 hours of last dose. Maybe you just got rather lucky.

3. anomaly

I sure as hell know when I was doing opiates on the regular, 24 hours after last dose was fuckin rough. I was using much higher quantities, though.

4. gnat

gnat New Member

Anyone else? Nothing happening here, cept I had the craps yesterday. I have a kid though, and it could have been just a bug.

5. gnat

gnat New Member

I wanted to take one last night, my back was bothering me quite a bit but I just laid on the floor for some temporary relief. Perhaps it's safe to take them as prescribed? I just want my head clear for dealing with my g/f and I want to make sure I don't have an issue with them. Everything I read about them tells me they're bad. I get conflicting stories. People say take them as prescribed and I'll be fine(which I do) and people say stay away, you're hooked or will be. All the negativity I read about and hear about makes me second guess myself and almost makes me feel guilty. Is this normal? Am I reading too much into it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  6. anomaly

The rates of addiction when taken as perscribed for real pain, are very low. They will, as you know, cloud your judgement, though.

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I think you seem like a responsible person who's taking your drugs as prescribed. If you can take them as prescribed, and you do not have a desire to keep popping them until you are nodding off, I think you are doing just fine. I really wouldn't worry about what drug addicts say about opium-based pain-killers, if you aren't a drug addict, you really shouldn't have much to worry about.

8. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

I agree with Eligh - if you take your medication as prescribed, you are probably not in danger of addiction problems, you may have withdrawals, but your doctor will be able to wean you off the drug and you won't have further problems of wanting more. Taking medication as prescribed is a big problem with drug addicts and recovering drug addicts, we either want to take more, or when we are in recovery, we tend to think we know more than our doctors and go off our medications. This is part of addiction, taking too much or taking too little, which gets us in trouble because we do this on our own, not as the doctors suggest. When we take too little, the we put our body into shock and withdrawals, which can be avoided by talking to our doctors and having the doctor wean us off.

If you think you have a problem with drugs, these in particular or any others in the future, where you get to the point that one is too many and a thousand never enough, come on back and let us help you.

9. gnat

gnat New Member

Alright, well I took one friday and sunday... I think I'll get my script filled today or tomorrow. I'm tired of my back hurting again. Thanks for the clarification on the situation. Like I said, I did have the craps for a day or so but no substantial withdrawels. I suppose if I keep my usage like it has been (as prescribed or less) then I shouldn't have any problems when I decide to completely quit or try another medicine. Thanks.

10. gnat

gnat New Member

I looked for that and anticipated it, but the pain I was experiencing continued well passed the first few days and was exactly the same as my pre-medication condition. My thoracic muscle spasms were back, as well as my leg/lower back pain. My body wasn't really sore all over at all, it was fairly acute.

11. Metal

Metal Active Member

alcohol and drug withdrawls only took 48 hours to set in fully...... not a fun time trust me

12. utanthony

utanthony New Member

this might sound completely retarded, but you'd be suprised how much of pain is actually psychological in nature. people who have suffered real pain for years and years, even with medication, can sometimes have better results by seeing a psychologist that specializes in pain management.

the trick is to teach your mind how to control the pain, instead of needing the drugs to do that. its not for everybody however. yet, if you are concerned about addiction to pain killers and experience real pain without them, this might help. plus there are other ways to treat pain without drugs, such as electrostimulation.

either way, good luck