How long does it take for the body to absorb protein?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

for example, if i eat 5 egg whites 1 hour before I work out, will that even do anything for me during the workout? Or is the protein good for the musculos after the work out anyway? :dunno:

2. Drewski

Drewski New Member

whey takes about an hour to to get to teh muscles I think. eggs would be at least 1.5-2 hours I'd guess

3. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

So would it only benefit you if it has a chance to get to the muscles before the work out? Or will it be just as effective after?

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

before and after are both important

5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

its effective both. if you have it before, it'll be getting to you muscles during the workout which is good. having protein and carbs before and after ensures a good long flow of nutrients to the muscle when it needs it most.

6. Z PYRATE

Z PYRATE Guest

your body digests the food you put into it for a long time. I would say before 5 egg whites are fully digested...you are looking at way more than 4 hours. Protein is the hardest macronutrient for your body to metabolize, which is why the thermic effect of eating protein is NOT very high, however it lasts nearly twice as long as that of carbs.

7. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

eat protein throughout the day if your worried about it. thats what you should be doing anyway.

8. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

ummm u got it the wrong way. TEF of protein IS highest of all 3 macronutrients. it has nothing to do with how long it lasts in the body, but how much energy is expended to metabolize it.

9. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

depends how much earlier u take it. your blood is shunted to ur muscles when ur working out, not ur GI tract. point of taking a pre workout shake (10-15mins) is so that say for instance you finish ur workout within an hr, by the time ur done, ur body will start absorbing that shake and begin the repair process immediately, vs only taking a post workout shake which will have an absorption delay of 30-60 mins or so.

10. Z PYRATE

Z PYRATE Guest

You're right, I read it wrong. Protein has the highest TEF, and a meal composed of mostly protein will raise your TEF for 6+ hours, although not by a whole lot (6Cals/hr)

Its still hard to digest all that protein at once, especially have it all be USED by the body :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.