How long does it take for BC to kick in?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by vipergts24, Dec 5, 2006.

1. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

My SO and I are planning on having sex for the first time and she wants to get on the pill. My question is how long does it take for the pill to start kicking in? I plan on using condoms but i'm paranoid about using only condoms incase it breaks which is why she is gonna go on the pill. Any thoughts?

2. lauren

lauren Active Member

if its sunday start, immediately....but most people say you need a buffer month in there.

and i think its redundant to use a less effective method on top of a more effective method.

edit: for bc purposes, not stds.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Let me just applaud you first off for saying you still plan on using condoms. I'd say it takes at least 3 months to "kick in," but the good thing is that you are using condoms-and even though condoms do break it is VERY rare.

So I'll just leave you by saying make sure you guys only have sex when you are BOTH ready. Make sure your girl starts taking BC because I cannot stress that enough, and then use the condoms like you said and have fun!

4. nsane

nsane New Member

When she gets the pills, have her ask the doctor. That is the most sure way to go because there are many different types of pills out there. You'll also want to read the instructions that come with them - if she doesn't start them on the last day of her period chances are she'll skip her next period and you'll both freak out...

5. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

oh wow great feedback thanks :)

6. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Doctor told us 7 days?!

We use condoms anyways though, so its all good.

7. Got_Milf?

Got_Milf? Custom User Title:

i know for a fact that if she starts it the first day of her period (when she's supposed to) that it kicks in immediatly...you're not always told this because "better to be safe than sorry" but i'd still use condoms for at least a month/until you're both tested!

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I disagree. For somebody who is really against pregnancy, using two methods is a wonderful idea. We all know that some women aren't the best at remembering to take their pills also, so that is just another safeguard against pregnancy.

You are also wrong about it being effective immediately. Threadstarter should have his girlfriend check with her doctor on what type of startup she will be using and take his advice for how long a backup method should be used.
    http://www.wellesley.edu/Health/pill.html

9. pigeon

pigeon wasabi

this is the best advice you're going to get. your girlfriend needs to talk to her GP and get all the information she can on the particular type of BC she's on. not only do you need to consider the length of time before it's effective, there are also certain antibiotics and things that may reduce or nullify the effectiveness of BC for a certain amount of time... these are the kinds of things you need to ask the GP - alllllll the details regarding the effectiveness of the BC and the ins and outs of taking it.

using a backup until you are positive (as positive as you can be) that it's working is a great idea. it shows maturity and respect for your girlfriend and your relationship ~ that you're actually thinking about what you're doing. good work :)

10. fray

fray New Member

Just got back from my appointment at Planned Parenthood and I'm switching BC, so we were discussing possible issues. She told me it takes 7 days for it to kick in, so you need to use some other form of protection during that time. But they tell people a month so they can hopefully get the week out of them. So, condoms at least for the first week, longer if you can hold out!

11. lauren

lauren Active Member

:dunno: the little paper with instructions that tells you what to do said imediately. im sure it varries.

12. kem23

kem23 New Member

When I went in to get BC they told me that it takes three months to get in your system all the way. That's probably more than it really is or if you're only going to use the pill and nothing else. I think you're okay after a month though and that's being extra careful

13. IWLSR5

IWLSR5 Member

Fiance went to Planned Parenthood and was told using the Sunday start method we could stop using condoms after 7 days.

14. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

I always read the package insert. Plus the obgyn should tell you how long. Every pill I've been on so far has said 1wk in the insert. The doc has always told me 1wk. However, if you haven't been on a daily pill before, or its been a while, they'll usually say 1wk is ok, but waiting 1mo is better, mainly so you have enough time to get yourself sticking to a schedule; you're more likely to slip up and miss a pill here & there when you're not used to taking pills daily.

15. hom3lesshom3boy

hom3lesshom3boy New Member

What about when she gets off of the placebo and has to start another pack :dunno:? I don't think this is worth starting a new thread over, and the OP will most likely come across this question (as I have).

16. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

I know this is on the opposite side, the SO just recently stopped taking the pill, she had a period, took only 3 of the 1st week of pills and within 4 days of stoping, she is having a FULL on gushing period, the heaviest she has had since starting BC.