How long does Altitude Adjustment last? (Ceaze, do me?)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Peyomp, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Say I went to Manali, and practiced hill runs on my bicycle from 6000, up to 10K feet, sleeping at 6K feet every night, but maybe camping at 1000 foot or so intervals higher each night.... but more probably sleeping in a bed in Manali at 6,000 feet... I do this for three weeks.

Then I go to Dharamsala (where the Dalai Lama lives) at less than 6000 feet to sit on my ass for 10 days and meditate. I eat rice and lentils and tea and jam. I can walk for an hour a day, uphill if I like... but vigorous exercise is not permitted. Its a meditation retreat.

Then I go back to Manali, to ride to Leh, and beyond to the world's highest motorable pass.

How much of my altitude training benefits can I expect to have lost? How long does hematocrit-shits take to fall? I can still take a week or two to adjust in Manali, if I have to, but I'd rather get it over with after like a week at most. I got other shit to do, but they pushed back my acceptance into the meditaion retreat to July 1st and so I have time to train... I'm gonna pull the Manali->Leh run early if I can, by adjusting and training at altitude before the retreat, and then doing some small training after, and making the run.

If I lose my adjustments, I will want to adjust all over again... know what I mean? I'm going alone. AMS could kill me. Please advice.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

3. Louis M

Louis M New Member

Don't know if this will help, but I went skiing in Lake Tahoe for spring break and on the first day, my lungs were going to kill me, and the second was no better. However, on the third day, I noticed a strong change in that I was able to ski for twice as long without getting tired.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Pretty quickly. Within a week I believe.

5. Inferno

Inferno Guest

If you did It right you can last a maximum of 3months before your haemoglobin starts to take in the normal amount of oxygen at your current alittude, but it all depends how long you stay up there :hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.