GUN How long before guns comes up in the dating scene?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ChipOnShoulder, May 10, 2009.

1. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I like shooting, a lot.

However, I think it's important to be discreet. I didn't tell anyone at work I like the shooting sports until 6 months in... and even then I only told a few people. The usual question of "what are you doing this friday/weekend" are the usual, oh watching a movie, hiking, reading books, instead of shooting in the woods with friends, rifle league, reloading, testing loads.

Having just separated from a girlfriend of two years a few months back, I got the digits and a date set up with a pretty red headed girl next week. Intelligence revealed that her ex-bf was [insert my race].

How long should I hold out on just how much of a gun nut I am?

She's liberal, but got conservative parents from Phoenix.

Remembering what it was like before I had firearms, I don't want to be too threatening. I'm thinking i'm not going to tell her about the 80 pounds of ammo in my closet until she puts out. And then i'll promptly bring her to the range and indoctrinate her, hehe.

:naughty:

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Well before we go any further, pics are obligatory.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

On a side note, I'm in the same boat as you.

4. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

My ole lady didnt go shooting with me until we had dated for 8 months. She knew i was into guns and she had never shot one, but she went and she enjoys it. So shes a keeper.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

honestly i would mention it as soon as comfortably possible. why get yourself wrapped around a girl that is potentially fundamentally opposed to arms?

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

some girls, guns = BAM fingers in the pussy

8. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I usually introduce guns to my girls right about rape time.

9. I'd wait until you feel she knows you well enough that she knows you're not some weird redneck. If liberals are scared of guns because they see gun people portrayed as backwards loons. Once you feel comfortable that she knows you're a normal guy, then suggest she go to the range or something with you. Don't force it if she says "no" though, you can always try again at a later date. Anyways, when has someone ever gone to the range and not had fun?

10. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Bring it up casually. If she asks what you're doing on the weekend and you've got plans to go to the range or whatever, mention it. Gauge her reaction.

11. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

My wife has never been shooting. She just never cared. It didn't really interest her and she doesn't mind that I shoot. She just wants to make sure that I am safe and all that woman worry crap. The other day she did ask to go shooting. I just joined a new gun club and I plan on taking her. It's only been 5+ years!

If I starting dating over again I would make it known up front. No sense in hiding my hobbies.

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Honestly, I wouldn't intentionally put it off. I wouldn't intentionally bring it up either, that might make it sound forced and out of the blue.

"Hey boy-toy what you you think of the red shoes?"

"I have many many guns."

I would wait for something gun related to come up and work from there, reading good or bad news and her vocalizing an opinion, ect. Then you can reveal your opinion on guns even if you choose not to reveal the full extent of you ownership. Hopefully that opportunity comes up she knows you enough to know you aren't going to go clock tower crazy.

For some of us, it is a more pressing issue than others. For example let us say you are like many of us and carry a pistol or have a gun in the bedroom. Either you have to put those away and stop carrying or you have to be prepared to get made. In which case my option is to let it be know prior to her giving you a hug and getting a pistol to the hip.

13. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

The girl I just started dating is a complete anti and I knew that before getting involved with her. Her disposition towards guns is completely arbitrary and emotional with no real logical backing behind it. Doing the same thing I did with my parents: Listened to her beliefs and "reasoning" then started a polite session of informing her about the truth. She's comin around.

14. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I'll give her something to believe in.

15. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I mention I like shooting. Just not what.

16. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

:rofl:

Will oblige when the opportunity arises. For now, you'll just have to settle for a description. She's got natural, crimson red hair, not many freckles, huge eyes, and is a little too skinny. She looks like a Joss Whedon TV show character, and man, i have a thing for cute/nerdy looking red heads. She's majoring in accounting, and is already working for a big 4.

I'm thinking i'm going to have to clean up my bedroom and hide the mags, ammo, and arms for if/when she comes over, and I won't carry when we go on a date. I'll just have to stay in a safe part of the city, and hope i won't have to bust out my limited hand to hand knowledge on some bums or something.

Girls generally like and trust me... i'm the type of guy that gets put in the friend zone a majority of the time.

[​IMG]

With this girl, I kinda just went balls to the wall and asked her out 5 minutes after meeting her in front of all her and all my friends, clearly establishing I wasn't interested in a friendship or some lame shit like that. Throwing my cute southern asian girl friend under the bus, and telling the "satellite" guy friend he was her type (balding dorky white guy) also helped in earning me some social points, haha.

I feel like if I can get into the relationship zone with this girl, i can convince her of the pro-2nd side through the use of logic, reason, and patience... no matter how anti she might be. Shoot, that is usually my plan when it comes to girls to giving up anal sex. :x:

17. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

The girl I am dating seems to not mind guns at the shooting range, but absolutely opposes me carrying a gun, not sure what to do about that.

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

dump her and move on

19. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

As soon as she see's my "I hate communism, but I love their wepaons" bumper sticker.

20. purebad

purebad I don't need your approval, right?

:hs:

21. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

22. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

The gun range is usually the second or third date. Call me classy...

23. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

My gf hasn't ever shot a gun and they basically terrify her at this point, but she's actually willing and excited to go shoot with me and at least give them a chance :bowdown:

And I think I brought up guns on like our second date. . .but I'd been friends with her for a few years and had basically just been a tease the whole time, so there wasn't much I could have told her at that point that would've scared her off :rofl:

Once she gets back from school we're going out to my dad's property to shoot. I think I'm going to start her out with a .22 rifle, then possibly the Ruger MKII, and then, if she isn't freaking out, I might let her shoot the .410 a few times. . .I'd really prefer to start her out with my dad's suppressed 10/22 but he would obviously have to be there for it to be legal and there's about a snowball's chance in hell that he'd be willing to go :hs: I'm probably not even going to bring out anything bigger for myself to shoot, just so she doesn't go apeshit when the 'bangs' get significantly louder. She knows I have my CWP but the last time I CC'ed around her she gave me a hug, felt the gun/holster, and kinda freaked out. . .so I need to at least convince her that she's safer when I have it on me.

With other girls in the past it was usually within the first month or so. If they weren't at least willing to accept my hobby and not freak out that I had guns in my house. . .they weren't invited to my house again :dunno:

24. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

serious question...is she retarded? :rofl:

25. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I always brought it up very quickly. One girl I dated (well, we didn't really GO anywhere, I just went over to her house after her kids went to bed), I was carrying the first time we did anything together. Let's just say that when the clothes came off, it was plainly obvious that I carried. It has always been a non-issue, because I didn't date girls who were against firearms.

My wife was the most accepting. While she wasn't into firearms, she was immediately interested and curious. I went to a Tactical Response class right after we started dating, and my wife didn't think anything bad about the content. A lot of folks would ask why you would need to know that stuff, or what you're training for. I bought her a G26 for Christmas about 6 months into our relationship. She carries every day.

I guess it depends upon what you're after. If you're looking for poon, and don't want to scare it away, don't even bring it up. In fact, hide it, I guess. If you're looking for an actual relationship, smoothly bring it up one day. It's not worth the time and money you put into dating if she's completely against firearms. You won't find a meaningful relationship there. If she's unsure, or just uneducated, it's an opportunity. Go easy, and bring her into the fold. Don't make guns the center of every conversation, even if they're the center of most of what you do. Make a concerted effort to talk about and do other things not gun-related. But definitely make a range trip. It's a great date.