MIL How long are you covered for if you get seriously injured in combat?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 2FWNC, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 2FWNC

2FWNC I'm a little bit special

Say I get a leg blown off, or go blind in one eye. How does the military compensate for these injuries? How long to they take care of you for? The rest of your life? :hs: sorry if I sound a little concerned, I am. :wtc:

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

You get dissability.

Not sure how it works though....and hope I don't have to find out. :ugh:

3. 2FWNC

Ya I wonder how it breaks down

4. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

my uncle is sterile from agent orange, and suffers from severe PTSD. he started getting full disability about 15 years ago, and got 25 years backpay too. i'm sure if you lose a limb you're gonna get taken care of.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

The last company I worked for had a couple of guys that got injured while in AIT. They have VA medical for life. :hsugh:

6. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

i could ask my friend about it, im pretty sure all of his surgeries and check ups etc are covered. he's missing the lower half of his leg from an IED:hs:

7. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

"you would get 100% disability plus more for losing a limb"

Not true, but I can elaborate when I get home.

ttt for a work break.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Let's say you lost your leg, would you be forced out under a medical discharge? What if you wanted to stay in and were willing lateral move to another MOS where you'd be behind a desk or something, would they let you stay in?

9. fintheman

Okay - tehking got most of the high points.

Other programs available.

Voc Rehab - if you are 100% and cannot work and get special comp, etc.,

Your kids/and or wife can all go to school under the program. It pays for everything (included a computer) + a 900ish dollar stipend a month!. I'm about to start up with in come Jan actually.

Don't forget, if you are put in front of a PEB, you will have 4 outcomes.

1. You are found fit for duty
    2. You are found not fit for duty and rated 20%> and will get a seperation check if you got 10/20.
    3. You are not fit for duty but you may possible be let back on after the diesease subsides or your work out your problems, you are put on whats called TDRL. Which is basically leave with only 50% of your pay, but all beenies for up to 5 years. When 5 years come you are either PDRL (just a sec) or sent back to AD. I've rarely heard of people going AD after this.
    4. PDRL - Aka Medical Retirement. If you are hurt, or have a SERIOUS medical injury, the number you'll see flash in your head at all times is 30%, why? Because you get the NICE package, the bennies for life, and that dependant card that more of the normal retired crusties get :)

You must ALSO understand, this is the DoD's seperation (army, air force, marines, navy, etc.,) And medical dealio. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VA.

Now, the VA part comes in, say you are seperated/medically seperated/retire or normally retired.

Before you seperate, you should of already seen the VA people a few times (Unless you feel there is NOTHING wrong, or NOTHING that can come up from your enlistment) I recommend, even if you've had only an odd kink in the knee after your enlistment, GET RECORDS OF IT. DO NOT BE SHY ABOUT GOING TO SICK CALL FOR EVERY AILMENT. This is not to hose the system by any means but only to CYA!!! After a year, if you don't have that crap on record, YOUR FUCKED, even if your leg falls off from the service connected disability. Sorry, I can't stress that one enough, the non-profit group I'm with try to help people from Vietnam that never had shit done for them, or knew that shit could be done.

Its still sad, I still hear of stories of people getting Admin Discharges for LEGIT medical problems, and I hope to start a non-profit group to start educated solider, marines, sailors, airmen, etc., on THEIR RIGHTS when it comes to medical problems. Some people have major PSTD problems and don't know it, and it conjurs into mental/medical problems. Missing work, no sleep, generally being lethargic and not attentive (which in the military is of course bad) but there are more than enough medical reports to back-up that this does happen. This does have the ability to get abused by the wrong people, but I'd rather get the people who need help first THEN the slackers should be put on the back-burner.

10. fintheman

Sorry, I got off topic a little bit. I get ENRAGED when I hear shit like "CO says that if you are not dead, preggo, or in a wheelchair, your deploying." I'd like to fuck those CO's with the IG's dick SO HARD, but, being a civilian again, its hard, but I want to educate military in how to KNOW THEIR RIGHTS and HOW TO EXERCISE THEM. We made these mistakes too long ago to be repeating them again.

Now back to the VA part.

I'll take my situation as a quick example.

I get in, serious injury to my left ankle happens (I get seen by paramedics and waved over and nothing done except the football pills)

7 months later, I notice, during PT run's, I limp, its odd, I know. I also developed a high blood pressure and a little anxiety at this point. Otherwise, I'm healthy, doing everything that is required of me and not looked down in by anyone's eyes.

I get the x-ray on the ankle - I have a OCD in my left talus (which means a piece of cartiagle has cracked and became a loss fragment.) So, since I was neglected in the first place, I have a serious injury to my ankle that has developed into worse. This is the point where I say FUCK IT, and started going to the Lib, reading books, and getting on forum boards for vets. I got educated, FAST.

Ortho says I need surgery, I'm still pipeline, if I get it, I'll stay pipeline for almost 6-8 months longer than possible. Hell no. I get to PCS to Offutt. This time, I'm developing problems walking right, etc., my anxiety levels are a little fucked with. So, I see the doc (2 weeks) then make the appointment for ortho (1 month later) and the surgery (1 month after that)

2 weeks before surgery - appendix about blows up
    surgery for ankle - went okay
    2 weeks after, I develop a DVT/Blood clot in my UPPER leg, foot in a FOOTBALL
    2 weeks more, they finally find it after sending me to a civilian hospital.

I was neglected for my injury in the first place, I was decently pissed. It took AWHILE to finally have my surgery. Okay, .....more pissed. They MISS a FUCKING blood clot which can easily lead to my death...I decided I'm going to work the system like a fucking snake to get the fuck out.

After all this, I'm already have problems at work, I was on con leave for more than 2 months and a few weeks. Training got fucked around with, I wasn't able to train on much since I was on pain kills + blood thinners + anti-inflam + paxil + hypertension drugs. So...I'm 23....On all this shit. Think that helps me mentally? fuck. Luckly, the Air Force has VERY good mental health clinics.

So, a few months pass after the surgery, I am well respected at work again, caught up on training, even dropped the 30lbs I gained post surgery and was almost ready to start doing full PT. Then one person stepped in and fucked it all up. I was told I COULD NOT do my physical rehab. It was during the day, admittingly, but, they didn't have any other time to do it. So, I was alright with that, I was able to do it during our PT times. Then the hammer (same guy) Struck down again. Could not do PT by myself, I can't run, everyone runs during PT, I sit on my ass and watch.

The doc that did my surgery finally gets back, I'm cool with him, he is cool with me. The MEB (Medical Eval) Starts. This is the local process. They decided to send it up to Randoplh for the PEB (Formal Eval). I got the decision of 20%/severance + seperation. I take it (I could of appealed, but I was only in for 2 years, I said fuck it)

I was able to meet up with the VA guy on base, get my claim forms filled out RIGHT (do not fill out yourself) If you find anything that isn't on it, that you think it should be, PUT IT ON THERE. I filed a few things.

So, so far, I got a my first decision back so far. hypertension (0) anxiety (10) back (10) Ankle (pending) - 20% right now
    Ankle is netting me another 20%
    I gotta fill in for my feet getting screwed up from not walking right/arthritis and my sleep problems claim.

Some of you guys on here may think, that I'm trying to hose em? am I really? I have a serious employment handicapp, I can't walk for much, can't stand for too long, I can't even stand at a bar with a beer for too long. I never asked, but I knew it was there, why not use it. 20 years from now, I will be much happier than the guy that decided he didn't need to fill this stuff out.

Moral of the story.

The military will fuck you on medical problems, COPY YOUR RECORDS and make sure you are SEEN for issues and have it documented. You might not think shit of it now, later down the road it will mean ALOT.

The VA is NOT the devil most people make it out to be, just like any gov't org, you learn the forms, paperwork, the process, it will work out GREAT for you. Don't feel ashamed looking for help when you get out.

There is one member on here that I'll keep on the DL that is hopefully looking over her shit again with the VA and SHOULD come out much stronger next time around with the knowledge I armed that person with.

11. fintheman

Of course :)

12. 2FWNC

Cool good info! 10/10

13. fintheman

Initially, the VA Base rep was the one who helped me. I took it to the DAV office, and they changed from things up here and there and sent it down to regional. The rating DOES take a while, but you get a nice fat check (backpaid) depending on what your rating is.

The ones that are givens for most people - Hearing and the back. Always try to claim that one, they found evidence of degeneration in my back on the x-ray, I almost didn't claim that one too.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

In my opinion, you needlessly fuck yourself over, and screw your chances at being a productive citizen, if you don't follow through to get the benefits the Government has set into law for you to have.

You get nothing but respect from me. ;)

15. Basal

Basal OT Supporter

thank you OT for this thread :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

16. UberBlue

UberBlue New Member

Hell YES!

I got 10% for my ears ringing like a mother fucker.

17. fintheman

LOL

I'm glad I helped someone

Now give me 10% of that 10% for as long as you get it

If I can do this for 100 people, I'm set!

18. Accord

Accord New Member

turnkey operation :noes:

19. Basal

Basal OT Supporter

please elaborate :noes:

a year from when you first notice the pain, or a year from when you get off active duty? also, getting it on record at BAS or getting it on record with the VA or DAV?

20. Basal

Basal OT Supporter

what if i have it on record in a private clinic in that one year time frame? can i just get copies, give it to the VA, and it'll be the same shit? what happens if it's not documented with the VA within a year? can i still file a claim with the DAV?

21. fintheman

" I would say so no it has to be on the record at the VA, but I could be wrong"

You submit this along with your claim information, but it does not become official record at the VA except when you've been referred to an outside medical practice.

22. Basal

Basal OT Supporter