SRS How likely am I to get Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Redneck Shinobi, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I'll start off by saying my father had Schizophrenia. I never really knew my father, he took his own life when I was 5. Now that side of the family does have some mental issues, and I admit I've had bouts of depression, but it's never been for long. I've never gone to a doctor about it, or a therapist and I know OT isn't the greatest place to post shit like this, but I decided to do some reading up on it today.

I know Wikipedia isn't the most credible source of information and I know I shouldn't google diagnose myself, but I found this as a symptom.

"Thought Disorder. It describes a persistent underlying disturbance to conscious thought and is classified largely by its effects on speech and writing. Affected persons may show pressure of speech (speaking incessantly and quickly), derailment or flight of ideas (switching topic mid-sentence or inappropriately), thought blocking, rhyming, punning, or 'word salad' when individual words may be intact but speech is incoherent."

Now normally this wouldn't have bugged me, but lately people have been asking if English is my first language. I don't know if it's the way I type or what. This is also a symptom of Aspergers syndrome. I guess I could worry about every little detail in my life or just live it. I've never had any hallucinations, well at least none that I didn't induce. I am probably overreacting, I consider myself "normal", but it still scares me.

Edit: I just re-read my own post and what the fuck LOL.

2. Vysion

Vysion New Member

LINK: Is schizophrenia genetic

Talking to your doctor about your concerns would be a good idea. Also have a close friend or family member know about your concerns so they can help keep an eye on if you display schizophrenic traits. College age (18-25) is when schizophrenia develops.

3. Redneck Shinobi

Thanks for the post and link. I know that genes can skip a generation or traits like Alzheimer isn't always passed on even if both parents have it. I'm 25 this year so I guess maybe I'm out of the loop, but who knows. I worry, but I know I shouldn't and I will talk to my doc and friends.

4. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

All your doctor will do is tell you the chance of you getting it, if that because they don't want you to worry about it since there is jack shit they can do.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Any idea at what age he got it?

6. Redneck Shinobi

That's a good question, he wasn't diagnosed until after he was in the military and had met my mom, so probably 17-20, I'll have to ask my mom.

That's what I figured. I was talking with a really close co-worker today who I talk about more deep and serious issues with and he said to not worry about it and to stop reading up on it. A part of me wants a deeper understanding of what my father went through, or what I should look out in the future, or if my girlfriend and I have kids.

7. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

My brother had what I believe was schizophrenia, althought it was never diagnosed. Currently he is diagnosed with just aspergers althought he is prescribed anti-psychotics. My parents were in denial about his condition and eventually he pretty much went into a vegetated state where he couldn't even string a sentence together. Me and my other brother had to be the ones to get him some actual help. He is in the process of writing a book at the moment and he actually writes pretty well.

Whenever people read up mental illnesses they see some symptoms in themselves and start to get nervous. I was also worried I was gonna become a schizophrenic. If you are 24+ years old, its unlikely you will get it as it usually comes up during the late teen years. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start hallucinating or getting paranoid.

When I first started reading your posts I thought you had a pinch of ADD. :mamoru:
    You'd go on tangents but its not like they were unreadable and still sorta related to the discussion. Are you sure you're not just a little hyper? When I get excited or nervous my mind might start racing and I may say shit that seems out of the blue.

8. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

jesus best of luck :sadwavey:

9. Redneck Shinobi

Yeah see that's exactly what I mean. I experienced an anxiety attack kinda last night. Like I felt like I needed to do something, but I don't know what to do. I just ended up going for a run, that generally helps when my mind starts racing. I first noticed you guys mentioning it on the cage and I had never been asked this my entire life, nor forum posts prior.

I agree that when you read into things you can precieve them as being true that's why I try to never self diagnose, but I wasn't reading up on it to find a link, I just wanted a better understanding of it, that symptom really stood out to me though.

That's honestly too bad about your brother, and that's exactly why I'm frightened to death of man made drugs. I never told a doctor or my parents about my bouts of depression growing up, because I don't want to be forced to feel something I'm not. I'd rather talk about an issue and find something deeper in an issue than mask it. I fought through my depression all throughout my teen years and I'm now 25 and haven't been depressed in over 2 years. I've been depressed of course, everyone has sad moments, but it wasn't a constant thing for a few days or hours. I'm glad he's doing better now though, good for him and you guys. I do get paranoid, but it's over little shit, not like the government is after me or anything. When I was living at home I used to think my mom was listening/spying on me, but I doubt she really was. I get jealous over things I shouldn't, but that's just my personality and I've had that since I can remember having a girlfriend.

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Ok to me that would be a warning sign. My brother thought all his family members were spying on him. Of course your mom may actually have been spying on you so I donno. Perhaps she was keeping an eye on you because she thought u might develop the condition. :dunno:

I am reminded of this video:

[y]FzoXQKumgCw[/y]

If you are 25 and feeling fine then I would say you have dodged the bullet.

I totally agree about drugs. In some cases (like my brothers) they were necessary, but for the most part diet and excersize will many many mental issues peopel have.

11. Redneck Shinobi

LOL thanks Konrad, you know I never thought of it that way actually. My mom is a cleanaholic and doesn't stop doing it so she is always around. The more I think about it the more fucked up it seems. I bet if she actually was listening to what I was saying to my internet friends, then it makes sense. She might have thought I was talking to myself or something. I never confronted her about it, for fear of looking like a complete fucking idiot. That all left when I left the house. My parents suprised me out here a few months ago, which was really awesome, I really do love my parents, especially my mom. One of the things that kept me from suicide was my mom having to deal with it.

I never really thought about it that way, fuck I'm an idiot. I just kept telling myself it was all in my head at the time, but that is a pretty damn reasonable explaination.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::bowdown: at the Onion

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Schizo's usually have anxiety attacks that lasts several days, not just a few hours. Although you show some signs, I don't think you are Aspergers either. Paranoid personality disorder would be my guess. It's like schizo-lite. Now's the time that you can start to work on it by being more social and disregard any and all paranoias, especially being spied on. Appreciate coincidences instead of being suspicious of them...

:bowrofl: @ that vid

13. Redneck Shinobi

So many friggin mental illnesses this is retarded. This is another reason I'm scared of doctors because they will stuff you full of meds for one thing then be like oh fuck wait it could be this.

I googled it and it actually makes some sense. I do exibit some of those traits. I do know the difference between a coincidence and something that isn't, at least I think I do. I believe I have common sense and logic, I understand a lot of the things that go on around me. I however have lived a very stress free life, in fact I didn't know what stress truly was until this year when I was illegally evicted. So thank god my parents gave me a great environment to grow up in, because if I didn't have that, I think stress would have drove me crazy. My dad lived a very stressful life being a linesman in the military and only was home maybe 20 days out of the year. He was also an alcoholic, so that probably didn't help the case either. I'm a very happy person actually, you'll be hard pressed to find me in a unfavourable mood. I think it's funny that I exibit ADD on forums because I'm a very chill person although I guess my mind does race.

14. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Most of them won't give you meds unless you ask for it or it's interfering with your life. It sounds like you've been pretty normal and simply just had to deal with something stressful recently.