How is this reciever I ordered?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr. Hilter, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter Guest

I know little about all the details when it comes to receivers but I read enough about the brand and the model that it seems like it will work for me.

http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=42009214&navid=155441519

Denon AVR788

I have a 50 inch 720p plasma, I don't use blurays, and I only get basic cable at school so no HD channels or anything like that. Most of the use the TV gets is from standard dvds, mp3 cds or regular cable. Anyway, I know this receiver is missing some features for audio from what I have read but I don't have any idea on what I would be missing out and if it really is that important for someone not an audiophile.

I also picked up 2 Polk R50s from frys to use when the reciever comes in, but I just saw on newegg that they have the Monitor 50s 2 for 216 shipped and I am contemplating purchasing those as well even before I have the receiver or the other speakers in my possession yet.

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I bought a Denon 1909 in February. My first Denon and it has been great. Setup was a little more difficult than my older onkyo but probably because the denon has so many more features.

Here's a good site for setting it up if you need assistance.

http://batpigworld.com/

On that site is also a link to some avs forums that will be helpful as well.

3. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

That seems pretty cheap for a good name brand receiver with HDMI switching, but then again I am no HT expert.

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

It is definately inexpensive. I think the main reason is it's in the 2008 line-up. The 2010 line-up is rumored to be releaseed very soon. So it's almost 2 yrs old in terms of denons models.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Ah that makes sense, but none the less would be a great entry-level priced receiver IMO.

6. Mr. Hilter

Mr. Hilter Guest

refurbished too and sold by a company on the Denon website list of official refurbished resellers or something