how is the sound quality of a wired FM modulator?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illmaticnyc, Mar 16, 2006.

1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

i want to hook up my ipod but have no aux inputs. i dont have the option of buying another headunit only cuz this headunit i have was expensive and i like it. could i use a wired fm modulator with my ipod but what would the sound quality be like?

2. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

It would sound as good as your radio.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'm not aware of wired FM transmitters, as that would defeat the purpose. But, as far as wireless FM transmitters go, it will sound ok, but not great.

4. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Wired FM modulators are a little better in terms of signal quality than are wireless FM modulators. The main benefit I have seen with wired over wireless is when the modulator is powered, they tend to block out every other station completely, removing any interference between other stations. (again, from what I have seen, not all are guarunteed to do this). Wireless ones that I have used don't do this, and frequently the signal from your ipod will diminish, especially when travelling (and even more-so in large cities with many many stations broadcasting).

As far as sound quality, as mentioned before, it will sound no better than a radio station.

And yes they do exist. Their primary function is to allow add-ons to work with factory systems. Wireless modulators have become popular because there is that much less work to do when installing.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You know, I just remembered I have seen a wired FM transmitter before in my parents old van. It was a CD changer connected to the stereo.