MIL How is life as an STG?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CDQ109, Aug 1, 2008.

1. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Navy offered me STG-AEF.....it seemed more like there were trying to shove it down my throat tho. Been trying to do some research before I make any final decisions but from the sound of the job it could be interesting or it sounds like I could be spending 12 hours at a time with headphones on watching a screen.

Anyone have any experiece with this rate?

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Can you give us a description of what you're talking about for those of us that have no idea.

3. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Oh yah sorry. I went to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) yesterday and took my asvab, physical all that stuff. After I finished that I sat down with a Navy counselor who tells you what jobs you qualify for and writes up your contract. He seemed to try to push me towards STG-AEF which is a surface sonar technician. From what I understand they are responsible for reading the sonar information on ships.

4. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Not what i'd call an exciting job.

5. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

if you're kinda thinking that sounds interesting tell him you'd like to look at the ET/FC ratings. Still in the "AEF" type program. But yeah, as an STG, you're either an operator or a mantainer AND you gotta stand really crappy watches in sonar...yuck

6. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

bad watches so deployments suck...other than that not too horrible, most of the ones on my ship were content

7. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

I don't get what you mean by "bad watches so deployments suck"

8. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

From reading the card about it I thought ET/FC sounded really uninteresting

9. Drunk Bastard Audio

FC is where it's at when it comes to Surface fleet....other then that, SeaBees, EOD, Divers, SWCC, SEALs would satisfy your hunger for the salty snickers.

10. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

What's good about FC? What are their days like?

11. Drunk Bastard Audio

What's good, best rate in the Navy.....what are their days like...their days are stupendous.

12. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Thanks. Helps a bunch. :ugh2:

13. crucial_fiction

As an FC, I work on the main fire control system on the ship. That encompasses 1 search/track radar, display/command/control consoles, and computer interfaces between all of that.

Now, what does that mean? My system is the main gun battery on the ship. All of the associated electronics to ensure ordinance is delivered on time, on target.

My day roughly consists of:
    Inport: Doing routine maintenance, making sure things get done, helping out where I can to get those tasks complete. Then once a week stand a 24hr duty, if I'm not on duty at the end of the day (I average about 1500-1600 but my guys are usually off at the latest by 1330 unless there is some pressing issue keeping us there).

Underway: I stand watch in the Combat Information Center on the ship. I stand weapons control officer. That watch rotation is somewhere in the line of 5hrs on 10hrs 'off'. All the while making sure we keep up with maintenance availabilities, and making sure the equipment is 'tweaked and peaked' as much as possible.

There's a lot more that goes into it but that's the gist of it. The one thing I've kinda learned from my experience in the main difference between the ET/FC ratings is that we pretty much (there are some exceptions) own, operate and maintain all of our own equipment so when it breaks you're usually the first to know about it.

14. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Thanks. Do you enjoy your job? Do you ever wish you had picked a different rate?

15. crucial_fiction

Love my job, and nope, sometimes the grass is greener looking at other rates, but I get real satisfaction out of my job.

16. Drunk Bastard Audio

like i said...best rate in the Navy...and daily life is stupendous.

17. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Are ET's jobs similar to yours as far as day to day operations and lifestyle go?

18. crucial_fiction

Fairly similar, it all depends on what specialization you go into. Don't get me wrong, everyone has long hard days, there's no way around it. However as an FC we seem to have less of those :rofl:

*edit*

Please don't take anything I'm saying as bashing STGs everyone has a job to do, I'm just more than happy to talk about mine to people who may be interested. That and I like to see that you're at least looking at other options rather than just taking what's pushed at you.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  19. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

tomahawk FC also get $75,000 reenlistment bonus :) Every STG I know is weird, not sure if it is from being cooped up in a dark room all day or what they're just not right.

whatever you do, if you go FC dont pick NSSMS

20. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

keep in mind that most people that choose ET over FC are geeks, so you will be working with them if you arent one yourself, ET/FC is pretty similar
    if i had to choose a best rate on the ship as far as daily life/general duties, i would say CT(any of them) or IS.
    what i meant by bad watches is, you have to sit in the sonar control room with headphones on for a long as time just for regular routine watches and mess with old ass gear. and if a contact is ever picked up that cant be identified, EVERY sonar type has to wake up and get on watch....on deployment it happens fairly often so the STGs are in sonar control all the time

21. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Depends on the ship. IS if you're low rank can be sucky depending on where you are. Independent IS's (most small boys only have one IS on them) have it pretty easy. CT's have it easy if you're ships company. Only time I've really seen CT's work is the riders from NIOC. So if you get stuck at NIOC prepare to deploy & work. If you want the easiest job... nothing beats ADP on a small boy. I do absolutely nothing all day. I change like 2 passwords a day and unlock maybe 4 accounts and thats it. Some days are a little more busy but for the most part i do jack shit. I decided sleeping 18 hours a day cuts deployment bye 3/4 so I've been doing that and it's been pretty fast so far... be back in the states before I know it.

22. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

worthless fucking ITs :squint: