How is Fedora Linux?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Nov 6, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I've been teetering around with Linux distros, and so far my personal favorite is Ubuntu, the one I was told to go with in the first place some months ago. Regardless, there are a few pay-per-distros that are now free; Suse and Fedora. Does anyone have opinions on any of those? Personally, I like the looks of Fedora alot; and it seems to keep simplicity. Suse looks pretty nice, too, but 5 CDs and jam-packed with software seems like overkill.

Does anyone have some insight or comparison between these three, or at least two of them? All of them are offered in KDE or Gnome (I'm a Gnome man), and all of them are big names, and now, all of them are free.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I haven't tried Fedora myself, but I've heard no good things about it from other serious Linux users. This doesn't surprise me, since it's an RPM-based distro and is pretty much used as RedHat's testing ground.

I used SuSE for a while, and it is a very nice product. Novell has done a good job with it, although the RPM package management is still a turnoff.

My favorite is Ubuntu as well and I don't really see any reason to switch myself. It's is probably the most up-to-date of any of them, since we just saw a release and they always use the latest stable versions of things. I'm an XFCE guy myself, so the KDE vs. Gnome thing doesn't matter so much to me :dunno:

3. coronet

Are you using Xubuntu? Or did you install XFCE?

I'm trying to figure out how to overwrite desktop packages in Terminal, to try each of them out (Gnome --> KDE, Gnome --> XFCE, and then back again). Every time I do, just the software gets installed (I swear, if I have to download another application with a capital K in its name... :rant2: ), but Gnome still remains.

Are there any Linux magazines or printed publications I should check out?

4. Penguin Man

I installed the normal ubuntu, then did apt-get install xfce4.

You should be able to just apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, then before you login, hit "Session" and select KDE. If you want to go back to gnome or xfce, do the same thing but choose gnome or xfce in the session dialog.

I don't really pay any attention to Linux magazines. I'm not a big fan of computer magazines in general :dunno:

5. coronet

Oh, cool. I'll check that out.

6. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

fedora's good but i'm just not a redhat guy. i love ubuntu though, thats the distro i recommend to everyone because of how user friendly it is...well as user friendly linux can get. plus they ship it for free so i always get like 20 copies to give out to people.

7. coronet

So I installed KDE and XFCE. XFCE is pretty nice! Simple, like a lighter gnome. I might keep it. But KDE I still feel the same about. Meh. Overatted.

8. Penguin Man

Yes, that's what I love about XFCE: it's pretty like Gnome, but without all the bloat that I don't use. Plus, it can handle all my Gnome apps that have little docky things and such, so that's a big plus. I haven't tried KDE in a while, but it always seems to be really shiny and big and ugly. I know a lot of people who like it, but it's just not my cup of tea :dunno:

9. coronet

Bingo. But I'm keeping it installed for amaroK. Now that, that is a program. And KDE makes it work completely.

10. Penguin Man

I've heard nothing but glowing praise for amaroK, but never really tried it myself. I'm pretty happy with Rhythmbox myself :dunno:

11. coronet

It's pretty cool. It's playlist and ID3 tag based, which would be my only gripe, but that's where it's beauty shines. As you listen to music, it can suggest music of its type in your collection, so your playlist does not end. In addition, whenever you play a song, it gives you the rest of the album, the rest of the artist's discography, lyrics, a wikipedia page on the artist, album art, and other goodies. It's very complete, very amazing.

12. bobbyseatbelt

bobbyseatbelt New Member

sucks... if you have to go with a RH type distro go with centos (RHE sources compiled and rebranded)