How in HELL has nobody mentioned the EVO vs. STi article in the new C&D???

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dbman96, May 7, 2003.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

So, finally a back to back comparison.

EVO beat STi "by a narrow margin"

They liked EVO's handling better basically because the front diff on the STi seems to induce understeer, and the EVO has tighter steering.

The EVO beat the STi on a road course and dirt course by something like .1 or .2 seconds on their best laps. The STi builds WAY more speed in the straights, but doesn't handle itself in the corners as well.

EVO measured 13.8, STi measured 13.2 in the quarter.

They also didn't care for the STi's seats; said the side bolsters are too weak to actually support you in a corner.

2. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Guest

Was this JDM STi or USDM STi? Was it a USDM EVO?

3. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

It has been mentioned.... a couple weeks ago

4. ZAQ786

ZAQ786 BMW: The reason Lexus is still 'In the pursuit of

Sorry thats 13.08 not 13.8 for the evo

EVO>Sti

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Sorry, you're a fucking moron, it was a 13.8. The STi makes more HP, more torque, has closer gearing, and weighs the same. How do you figure the EVO would beat the STi in the quarter?

I'm sure people have pulled faster times, but same drivers, same track, they got 13.8 and 13.2.

And they're both USDM models.

6. autoracer1

autoracer1 Rallyx postponed :wtc: Next one May 10.

JDM 8 > STi Spec C > anything they decided to grace us with, those fucking bastards.

7. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

[/domestic nazi]

8. CarGoBOOM

CarGoBOOM Active Member

dood, i remember this from weeks ago :uh:

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I dunno, Kenny, the STi and the Cobra run very close times in the quarter in stock configuration. Granted the Cobra runs 12s with bolt-ons or magic fairy dust or slicks or whatever, but you can bet that it wouldn't take much more to take a turbocharged STi that's only running 14.5 psi on a small turbo from 13.2 down into low 12s.

I don't want to be an import nazi or the opposite, but I think if straight line speed is your priority, the 03 Cobra and the STi both represent nearly equal bang for the buck.

10. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

30 for the evo (MSRP, good luck finding that), 31k for the STi (MSRP, easy to find). 35k for the Cobra. Sounds about right to me.

11. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

Hmm an Eclipse GSX used to be close to 30k, and was dogshit slow. The EVO8 and STI are both around 30k and much faster. I don't think they are a bad deal at all.

12. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I did see a similar article referenced weeks ago but with JDM/Euro cars in the comparison. Considering all the STi vs. Evo asshatting going on here I found it surprising that nobody mentioned this article in the past 2 weeks. That suggested to me that nobody had seen it.

13. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

This is true. But i think id still buy an 03 cobra first. hell just removing the stock air box has been proven to add at least 15 rwhp. crazy shit :eek3:

14. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

slightly lesser numbers for slightly lesser prices....... sounds about right to me.

15. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

psssst, check "Flavor of the Week"

16. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

Yeah you would have a good point if it was the same price as the EVO8 and STI. 5K is quite a bit of money.

17. 660Rraptor

660Rraptor Guest

read the article and still out with the jury on what to think

18. autoracer1

Kenny, both the EVO and the STi would fucking SHIT all over an 03 cobra on the track.

Lets not even mention what they were made for, rallying.

Id like to see an equally modded 03 cobra compete in a tarmac rally with the evo or the sti.

The cobra is too heavy. Yay it is the supra of 2003, but its turning ability is NOTHING to the evo or the sti.

PS, id take the evo. Minus the fagtails.

19. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I didn't even suggest that. I was just trying to simplify the comparison. If you want to reference stock quarter mile times, they're both similar. I honestly believe on a road course either the EVO or the STi would have NO trouble keeping pace with the Cobra.

Granted this is subjective, but there was an editorial comment in this article regarding a technically challenging section of road which the C&D driver said they didn't think they could have taken it any faster in a 360 Modena. I think that speaks volumes about the overall versatility of both the STi and Evo. I've never heard similar comments about the Cobra.

Regarding the quarter times, I think it's fair to compare the times that one magazine lays down with various cars. If you pick the best times that consumers are making with the Cobra and compare them to magazine times with something else, you're not being realistic. Magazines show the Evo at 13.8, and consumers are already laying down sub 13.1 timeslips. What makes you think STi owners won't be deep into the 12s in a short amount of time?

20. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Put a $10 home depot boost controller on the STi and see 11s or 12s. Actually spend the 4k in savings in mods and you'll probably be in the 10s as well.

21. ZAQ786

ZAQ786 BMW: The reason Lexus is still 'In the pursuit of

:rofl: maybe i should have posted this from motor trend, you stupid motherfucker. :cool:
    [​IMG]

22. autoracer1

Unproven engine.

Pure conjecture is what your saying nacho. Can the drivetrain withstand that, if your magically correct.

4g63 on a big16g will handle low 12s np. However, who the fuck buys an EVO or STi and wants to take it to the drags :ugh:

Buy a gn or a rwd v8 car for that.

23. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Considering that you can buy almost ANY turbo on the market for substantially less than a replacement blower for the Cobra, and I don't think you would have any trouble pushing an STi into 10s with a huge turbo and invest the leftover cash into some injectors and simple tuning.

I will without hesitation admit that the Cobra will OWN either car once you start stressing the limits of the block (well into 900s for the Cobra, more like 400 for the STi) but if you have the power up to that point, all arguments about the Cobra being more than a straight-line performer are out the window because 900 HP is WAY beyond the capabilities of the chassis.

24. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Motor Trend quotes the STi MSRP to be 32-32.5k and the EVO as 29-30k

You can get Cobras now for 33,900

25. autoracer1

:ugh2: Turns are for people with driving skill.

And yeah an AWD car that weighs about 2900lbs (should be 2700) will out handle a rwd car that weighs 3800lbs.

You keep up driving in a straight line, and ill stay with my turns, thanks.

PS- the 89 TTA came with a 5spd manual transmission correct? If so.. can it swap into a turbo regal?

I have a stupid idea about a 5spd regal as a track car, coilovers, brakes and everything :cool: