How important is maintaining volume/intensity when cutting? Ceaze, Pur, Chris, etc

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by therealdeal, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

My deficet is just raping me, I'm basically at the point where I can't sustain both. I remember reading a thibideau article where he said when his clients cut he has them do equal intensity and reps, but whereas before they might do 3x8 scheme they might now have to do 1x8 + 1x6 + 2x4 + 1x2, or basically as many sets as necessary to maintain pre cut volume. I've been trying to do that but it seems like my set number keeps going up and up and my rest periods go up as well. Should I decrease intensity or keep doing what I'm doing?

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

I think you're thinking of someone else, CT recommends keeping your intensity high and reducing your volume. See here

3. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

everyone says reduce volume but keep intensity high besides purevl, but not everyone is on 8g/week like him, cheater

4. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

:rofl: look at my logs...i always do like 12 sets chest, 12-15 sets back, 15ish legs, 6ish arms, 8ish tris. 9ish shoulders...half the time they're not bone crunching compound movements either.

I wonder what 8 grams a week would do though

5. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

Sweet, thanks for the article. Now I have no idea who wrote that piece I was talking about though.

Anyway, I guess I'm in the correct rep range, but I might have to reduce it a bit.

6. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html

"Higher volume weight training (ie 3 sets versus 1 set of each exercise) with short rest periods of approximately 1 minutes can stimulate a greater acute growth hormone realease (Kraemer 1991, 1993; Mulligan 1996). Growth hormone is lipolytic in adults. It is hypothesized that maximal effort is necessary for optimizing exercise induced secretion of growth hormone. Growth hormone release is related to the magnitude of exertion (Pyka 1992) and is attenuated with greater lactic acidosis (Gordon 1994).

Intense weight training utilizing multiple large muscles with longer rest between sets may also accentuate body lipid deficit by increasing post training epinephrine. Intramuscular triacylgycerol it thought to be an important energy substrate following repeated 30 second maximal exercise with 4 minute recovery intervals (McCartney 1996, Tremblay 1994). Rest periods lasting approximately 4 minutes between maximal exercise exercise of very short duration is required for almost complete creatine phosphate recovery required for repeated maximal bouts (McCartney 1986).

It still may be recommended to perform high repetitions (eg 20-30) for abdominal and oblique training. It has been theorized muscular endurance may be more benifitial for low back health than muscular strength. Furthermore, moderate repetitions with a greater resistance can increase muscular girth under the subcutaneous fat, particularly in men, who have greater potiential for muscular hypertrophy. Increasing the thickness around the waist with existing abdominal fat may further increase bulk, particularly in men who typically have greater intra-abdominal and subcutanuous fat in this area. The abdominal muscularture is composed of relatively small musclemass as compared to the glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, chest, and upper back. Performing high reps with a lighter resistance should not compromise metabolism or muscle increases as would performing high reps with light resistance on larger muscle groups. See Spot Reduction Myth above."

7. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

One more quick question: Do volume days have any place in a routine while cutting?

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

except transient increases in growth hormone from training mean jack shit in terms of body composition changes

9. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

i could see that for a major body comp change, so i guess if it was a serious cut. but if youre talking 20-30lbs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.