How important is it to have common interests...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by timberwolf, Feb 21, 2005.

1. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

in a relationship?

2. neebelung

neebelung Guest

Important, to a degree. Very important, in fact. It doesn't mean you have to share ALL the same hobbies or interests, but it's nice if you can enjoy each other's passions together, rather than one person "enduring" something for their partner.

When you choose to be with someone, it's because you enjoy being with them, and doing things with them... so being able to share your interests simply allows for more time to pursue those interests, while at the same time having quality time with your S.O.

At the same time, it is good to have some different hobbies or interests, things you can enjoy apart... that time apart allows you to maintain your individuality, and also makes you appreciate the time together that much more.

3. Isolt78

Isolt78 Guest

Basically you just need to have enough in common so that you'll have something to do when you're together, which isn't really all that much.

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I've been with my gf for almost 7 years but I'd be hard pressed to answer what interests we have in common.

5. It's nice to have a least a few common interests...makes going out and spending time together much easier.

6. KERS

KERS OT Supporter

:werd:

7. tominos

tominos New Member

would making out and having sex be a common interest?

8. chairmanmao

chairmanmao OT Supporter

kind of depends, but an important thin i think is having common interests develop through the relationship, ie you picking up something that she likes to do but you wouldnt have done before

9. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I think its important. My girlfriend and I were both involved in Sea Exploring (Co-Ed Venture Scouting) when we were younger and are still active as adult leaders. We also both have Ford Mustangs.

Common interests are really important at first because it gives you a starting point and something to talk about.

10. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

so true... if you have completely different passions in life, you will learn about her world and she will learn about yours. you both see more of the world than you knew was there. but... if her interests are ballet and opera music, youre fuct

11. Smoked

Smoked $5.50? Man fuck the avatar...how about you just sh

very

*accepts another prize for most concise posts*

12. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

totally agree...

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

So what are some common interests some of you share?
    I'm wondering if I'm too stringent of my definition of 'common interests'.
    We're both pretty open and respectful as well as supportive of each other's interests.
    I think what we do have in common is similar values.

14. eisenflower

eisenflower ..□ □ □ □ I

Very important to share at least some common interests. It's also important that you have your own interests and you each respect one and other to go on their own and do them. It's a balance really, just gotta find the sweet spot and it'll work.

15. ZiRo

ZiRo Guest

Yeah, i mean what can you do other than fuck to break a silence if you don't have anything to talk about?

16. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

there are plenty of things to talk about. i love learning about new things. of course i'm interested in knowing more about a guy that i have feelings for or a guy that intrigues me. :)

all you gotta do is ask questions...

17. neebelung

neebelung Guest

We both love cars (he used to show his car, and race, while I've just got spectator interest) & motorcycles (he rides, and I'm learning to ride) .... mountainbiking... the beach.... travelling.... videogames to some degree (but he liks PS2, and I'm an X-box girl)

We both also love music, movies, books... but our taste in music and books is quite different -- there's some overlap in our tastes, but there's also plenty of room for us to introduce each other to new things.

But then the interests we pursue on our own.... much as I LIKE cars, I'm not about to get out and WORK on them for fun, which he does. I'll hang out in the garage with him, but hell if I have a clue what he's doing under the hood! Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a freelance writing career off the ground, so that's something I do on my own time....

Having a lot of common interests just makes it easier (and more fun) when weekends roll around.... if there's something bike or car related that he wants to go to, he knows I'll be more than happy to go along with him... if there's a movie I want to see, I know his tastes are similar to mine, so I won't have to BEG him to go with me, etc.....

18. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Hmmm... as I said its our values and work ethic we have in common.
    Neither of us believes in the rat race. We like to travel and usually go away at least twice a year. I figure though enjoying vacations isn't as much a common interest as being sensible.
    While she wasn't an artist, she loves art and supports me to pursue my painting further. I've gotten her into working out and now she goes to the gym 4-5 days a week on her own. We both love exotic foods and trying new ethnic restaurants. We do have the same sense of humour...