How important is it to have a jacket with CE rated padding?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by M.A. Malone Esq., Oct 25, 2008.

1. M.A. Malone Esq.

M.A. Malone Esq. OT Supporter

I have a scooter that goes about 42 MPH (trying to get close to 50). I really don't care about my jacket, but my sister is getting on my case. And really, being more safe isn't going to hurt anything but my wallet. So, I'm shopping for a jacket. I'm trying to be cheap (re: I have a scooter), but I know being out there is about as dangerous as riding a real bike. But I really don't want to spend a butt load of money on a jacket.

With that said, does anyone have any suggestions? (oh yeah, looks do matter. All black is preferred).

I found this jacket though, but all it says is that it has "high density padding." Is that even worth a damn?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/349/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Alter-Ego-Jacket.aspx

Thanks for the help guys!

2. M.A. Malone Esq.

M.A. Malone Esq. OT Supporter

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

how important is your body to you if you take a tumble...

4. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

5. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

The padding is important so you don't break bones or take on serious bruising in the case of a fall. You'd be surprised what kind of damage you can take, especially in rush hour traffic, moving less than 25mph.

If you want to test it out, just hit your elbow against something, then hit it against a sharp edge. That sharp edge simulates a curb or a bumper of a car. The difference in level of hurt is a lot.

6. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

my $80.00 closeout fieldsheer jacket as better padding then most 200.00 jackets ive seen. the back proctector is an actual hard thick foam. Although it appears the jacket has been discontinued. As the newer ones from the manufacture now have a thinner pad.....very strange.

motorcycle superstore is a good place to shop, ive placed like 5 orders with them no problems, also free shipping on orders over 75.00 , and no tax for us californians

7. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

How important is your life?
    My dad broke his collarbone in a crash with a leather jacket sans CE-rated pads.
    Pads save you from broken bones.