How important is a degree

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Shaggy007, May 30, 2004.

1. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I've on my way to getting a degree in Computer Science, only a year away. I also work outside as a technician, I'm trying to keep towards networking since that is what I truely enjoy.

The thing is though after about 3 years of college I've found very little that applies from what I've learned to what I'm actually doing. This could be partly because my university is a mainly a research university. So they don't teach in a application manner.

But I'm just wondering how some people actually working and living in the real world have been able to weigh their degree.

2. Guardfather

Guardfather The Paradox

From what I hear, all you really need is a two year degree and the popular/appropriate certifications. The certifications are what really matter, but the world is still stuck on the trend of requiring a degree.

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

A degree helps a lot. Most places require a 4 year degree. Plus, seeing as you've only got 1 year left there's no reason to stop now.

4. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Oh I'm not going to stop, there's no way in hell that's going to happen. I'm afraid of what my family would do to me if I did, Scary. I'm just wondering if this has been a waste or not.

5. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

If two resumes come accross a hiring manager's desk, both almost exactly the same, but one person finished their degree and the other didn't, I think you know what the outcome would be...
    That being said, I don't have a degree and it hurt me at Boeing and Lockheed, when you are only a number, the documents help... Now I work at a small company where I know all the owners and have expertise in the domain, as well as some clearances that made me much more valuable... if I had a degree, then maybe it would be a few more dollars an hour there, but my next job, who knows...