SRS How I stay clean

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wayne and zeus, Mar 21, 2006.

1. wayne and zeus

wayne and zeus oh it will, won't it

This will be an ongoing diary.

Today is March 21st 2006 and I have 439 days clean.

2. wayne and zeus

wayne and zeus oh it will, won't it

One of the first things I had to do for myself was to disown ALL associates and frends from my old life. That is what I had to do as a gift to myself.

I don't go to the afterhours clubs. I rarely go to nightclubs. Its not that I feel that I will use, its that I wish not to be around people who are using. I don't go ask the Heroin dealer how he's doing and how sales are going.

I erased every number in my phone that was related to anyone who used etc. That is for me.

I am an addict. I can not recreationally use any drug, and Alcohol is a drug.

I go to meetings. Frequently. Regularly.

Advice to the Newcomer: Do at least a 90 in 90. I did several. My desperation required it.

I got a sponsor.

Advice to the Newcomer: Get a Million Dollar Sponsor...they are free! You will see someone who stands out to you. Don't be shy. Ask them directly, "Will you sponsor me? I need help".

I got a home group, I went early and set up chairs. This is called "Getting Active".

Make that group your home. Without a home group, YOU ARE HOMELESS!

Choose your favorite group for whatever reason, because in the beginning, if its girls in the meeting that keep you coming back and staying clean, fine.

It could be Men you respect and admire for the "program they are running". If that keeps you coming back and keeps you clean, fine.

If its the court system, fine. Whatever keeps you coming back, is good enough.

For me, in the beginning it was all about the physical use of drugs. "How do I stop using? I am using against my own will".

Eventually you will hear the life saving message of NA.

The Promise is Hope and the Message is Freedom from active addiction for one day.