How has business been lately?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by gandhibrokemyskates, Jun 30, 2009.

1. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

Has it slowed down due to people not being able to spend money as they used to?

Now that I'm unemployed, sorta, been helping someone start up their company, I'm thinking about going back to detailing.

2. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've been sitting around batin the last two weeks, but it rained probably 20 days out of 30 this month in CT. Now that the sun has come out I'm booked almost the entire week already- and still a 40% chance of rain most days.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I think the weather has had more of a negative effect on business than the economy/money situation. If anything, I've noticed people are more willing to get their cars detailed so they last longer -- it's a cheaper option than replacing the whole car.

4. gandhibrokemyskates

That's good to hear. When I was doing it college business was good since I was doing a lot of show cars. Then I stopped, got a fulltime job and then quit that. I'm going to detail my friends race car and thinking about going back to do it. Met a lot more people with nicer cars now!

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Exactly. Only thing that has been negatively affecting me this year is the above normal rainfall the past few months. Seems to be drying out and I'm booking weeks very quickly.

6. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

anyone know a good detailier in maryland? I need to do some paint correction on my black STi and i'm a bit nervous about taking a PC to it for the first time...

7. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Nope, not for me.

8. gandhibrokemyskates

its barely rained in Houston, fkn shit it is hot. Luckily I might be able to be working out of a shop with AC.

9. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

It's not like it was 3 years ago, that's for sure.

The high end ($50k+ cars) is dropping out. 3x a year customers are down to once a year or have become do-it-yourselfers.

The daily driver crowd (Camry, Sienna, Jetta, etc.) is bringing in some very TRASHED cars. No more cream puffs.

Average to below average detail operations have closed.

Well run, well marketed detail businesses are doing fine.

But don't believe what you read on Internet message boards--business is defineltey down, but no one wants to admit this about their own business.

10. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:dunno: Take out the days lost to rain and I'd definitely be up this year instead of even. This month is starting off like gangbusters since the rain finally let up a couple weeks ago.

11. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I'm happy to admit how things are going. Maybe more established service providers with higher overhead are down, but I'm up. I started this at the end of Spring 2008; coming from the ground up every success is a confidence booster and reaching any milestone literally feels like it took miles to get there.

I'm still growing the business, this was never planned to be a typical 40/hr a week career and I can usually accommodate a customer within 3-4 days of calling. If I can survive a year with this spending stigma and uncooperative weather- it's all sunshine and rainbows afterward. I keep inching toward each of my goals, for every really great week I have a really bad week with some acceptable ones in between to even it all out.

Apr: Had my very first $1000 week. Lots of 6/7/800s before this, but getting 4 digits felt great.

May: 2 out of 4 weeks I hit my super ultimate money goal, the plan would be to get to this specific amount consistently. Still fapping to the thought, but I finger banged it- twice.

Jun: Fuck You, June. :squint:

Jul: 3 jobs, 3 days in. I'm working this morning then going to the Summer Nationals car show in Worcester. A perfect day, even if it's going to rain again late this afternoon.

I wouldn't trade it for anything, even the slow days and baby steps of owning my business are more rewarding than making money for someone else. While I may not be on a boat, I'm most definitely not sinking.