How hard would it be to run Linux on a new Intel-Mac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ssv30, May 15, 2007.

1. ssv30

ssv30 New Member

So, I'm a total n00b...getting a new laptop for college..I'd prefer to run linux..and I'm thinking I'm going to purchase either a laptop that is made by a major manufacturer like Apple, Dell, etc. or one that has hardware that's great for Linux like..er.. I can't recall the name, but it had Ubuntu preinstalled (but the distro is irrelevant at this point...)?

My main question is, I suppose, is it just ridiculous to even buy an intel-mac because I'm used to everything about Apple (and I'd have their customer service, etc) if I want to run linux instead anyway?
    Or could that work albeit meaning I'd have to partition it, etc?
    Or should I just go for something else, in your own opinion?

Sorry, I'z a bit confused. I feel a bit stupid...:squint:
    but I thought someone here might have an idea about this.

So...I thank you.

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

one of the mac shack regulars wrote up a howto for triple booting OS X, Ubuntu, and Windows just a few weeks back... wish I had bookmarked it, you're the second person to ask in the last week (and that's just the posts I've read)

edit: here it is... dug it up on page 5. HardTech did the writeup in his blog:

http://www.michaelvkim.net/?p=5

and the thread:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3147723

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  3. ssv30

ssv30 New Member

thank you both!

and the mac would have enough memory & stuff to run all that? i mean, i know hardware is good

sorry, i didn't know it was recently asked, or i definitely would've searched the foum

thanks again

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

my macbook pro has 2GB of memory and I run two virtual machines under Parallels without any trouble. if you're dual / triple booting, you're only running one OS at a time, so the memory requirements apply as follows for each OS.

When you say you want to run linux, do you mean natively, or in a virtual machine? It's not necessarily clear from the way you phrased your follow-up :dunno: