how hard to install?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

I have an emachines computer that is pretty much the top of the line right now, got it about a month ago. Id like to upgrade a few things however.
    The first is the sound card.
    How hard is it to install one, given that ive never done anything inside the computer before, im pretty good w/ electronics and have installed my own car stereo, i doubt it'd be to difficult, just wondering what id encounter. Also this is unrelated, but im moving back home and getting cable internet, what all do i need to get started? I know ill need to buy a cable modem, anything else? Thanks

2. Robb

Robb Guest

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I have no idea how good that card is, but a sound card is very easy to install. Just open up the machine, find an open PCI slot, put the card in, screw in the screw that holds it in, turn the computer back on and Windows should see it.

For cable there's usually a modem rental included with the service if I'm not mistaken. If you want more than one computer to use the internet, you'll need a router with a builtin hub or switch (most have that these days). You'll also need a network card in each computer that will be using the internet, but chances are if they're newer computers they already have network cards (or have network builtin to the motherboard).

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that M-Audio card is quite good.

but emachines and "top of hte line" don't go together.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

When adding a sound card, you have to make sure you disable the built in one. It will be one of the options in the bios.

6. Robb

Robb Guest

oh i understand that emachines and TOL dont quite go together, but is it possible to integrate nice components into this system? its all i have to work with

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

installing a sound card is certainly possible.

8. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

Sound cards are easy to install. Open the case, plug the card into a free PCI slot, screw it in, disable the on-board sound in the BIOS (if emachines allows you to do so), and install the new sound drivers as per the directions.

As for the 2496, you have good tastes in sound cards. I have the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 in my system and it's an amazing card. A friend of mine has the 2496 in his and it's one of the cleanest PC sound solutions I've used. The drivers are really minimalistic, so you shouldn't have any problems with them :bigthumb:

9. Robb

Robb Guest

the only thing that scares me is the talk of BIOS, i dont know what that is, there is a setting in the sound devices that allows me to turn off the sound device, i suppose i turn that off and the other card will be there anyways

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

When you turn on your computer and it says "press Del to enter setup" (or F2 or F8 or whatever the key is on your computer), that's the BIOS. If you press the key it says to, you'll get into the BIOS settings where you can probably disable the onboard soundcard. No need to worry about it, if you fuck up you can always just flash the BIOS and everything is good.

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I keep looking at your name thinking I made these threads.....then think wait...why would I ask that. :o

12. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

What model eMachine do you have?

Anyways with emachines all you have to do is go into safe mode (Tap F8 when Booting up) go to the device manager and disable the Sound Card from there, you shouldn't have to go to the BIOS, but if that doesn't work you will need to go to the BIOS.

Make sure you're in Safe Mode when disabled the Sound Card hence it won't let you in normal mode.

--JT

13. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

While this is technically a valid solution it isn't the best one. If you're adding hardware to your machine, you should get used to the BIOS screen anyway. There's nothing scary about it and it's a valuable tool. In addition, if you don't disable the on-board sound in BIOS, your system still sees it and it still gets system resources. (Unless eMachines have some sort of way to actually turn off the hardware from within Windows.) Whether Windows has it installed or not, I think it's still going to take up part of an IRQ if it's not disabled in BIOS, so the cleanest/best solution is to go in there and disable it. No potential harms of doing it unless you go around changing every random value plus you make your system a bit cleaner by shutting it off.