How hard/$$$$ to fix this?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 4W4K3, Nov 30, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Just bought this trunk lid online thinking it was in good shape. Unfortunately on inspecting the bottom I found this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, it's 22 years old so honestly I guess it's nto that bad. However it is going to be the most rusted out piece on my 21 year old car if I leave it like it is.

How can I fix this without spending too much money? I'm not worried about the paint or having it perfectly smooth in the end, but I absolutely DO NOT want the rust to re-appear and start eating up the trunk or rear of my car.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

So apparently this is a basic rust fix, correct?

Clean with rubbing alcohol
    Break most of it off with a wire brush
    Sand it down smooth
    Apply a "rust inhibitor" spray and glazing putty
    Sand smooth again after drying
    Primer/coat it/paint it/wax it

Done? Again I'm not worried about it being perfectly smooth or even painted. I just want the rust gone for good. I can't weld and I don't think it's severe enough to merit cutting it out and welding in new sheet metal.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The only way for the rust to be gone for good is to cut it out. Personally, I'd send it back and look for one that is rust free.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hmm. Well I started sanding it down and most of it is not that deep. There were a few places I sanded through the metal it was so deep. The corner looks like the worst part and it might have to be cut out for the most part.

Believe it or not I've been looking for one that was wingless for a few months now in this color, this is the first one I've found!

Looks like it would have been cheaper to take my pristine winged trunk lid and just fill in the holes. ACH! Well, live and learn. I'm going to keep at it tomorrow and see how it turns out. If I can find someone who can weld I'll get it all cut out and fixed the right way.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it's gone through the metal anywhere, get a new one.

The trick with rust is not necessarily to remove it all, because that just exposes fresh metal, but to force the rust to form a smooth coating over the metal instead of being flaky. It's because of that flaky nature of rust that it can chew through a piece of metal over time. If you can smooth the rust out and treat it to keep it from flaking more, it won't keep rusting because it will block oxygen from touching the fresh metal.

(that's what the rust inhibitor that 4W4K3 mentioned is supposed to do.)

6. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

Looks like a fair amount of work, at least on the corner. If you try sanding it down, you'll have to peel back that outside skin that wraps around so you can get at all the rust. Otherwise, it's gonna come back with a vengeance and you'll be sorry you didn't tackle it before hand. Getting someone to cut it out and weld a new section back on would be the best bet, shy of getting a new lid.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I peeled off the molding type material along the edge and the rust has kind of "followed" it underneath about half an inch on either side of the pictured rust areas. I guess that means it has probably worked it's way under the the edge and may pop up on the top of the lid after a while.

I'm still sanding away today since I have the day off and nothing better to do. I managed to get most of the rust flat and smooth like deusexaethera said but I still am worried about it spreading.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Interesting side note: aluminum rusts over 1000x faster than iron does, but because aluminum oxide doesn't flake and peel like iron oxide does, it forms a smooth coating over the metal and keeps the rust from penetrating into the interior of the metal. However, if you contaminate aluminum with mercury, the rust will flake and peel off and the aluminum will fall to pieces right before your eyes.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I think in about 3 more hours I'll be done. It's not perfect or pretty but it gave me something to do today lol. My first body work of any kind on a car, using the internet for a guide/pointers. Spent $27 on tools/equipment, and managed to get a refund from the guy I purchased it from because of the rust. Not a full refund, but more than the cost of the tools I bought, so I'm happy.

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

My feeble attempts.

Sanded a lot off, bought some rust remover and it worked pretty good. Not so much at removing the rust, but it made it soft and the wire brush I was using scraped a lot off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I suck at filler, figured it was easier using my finger to smear it on than a plastic spoon. Sanded it kind of smooth and started taping it off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Primered a lot of layers, sanded just a little, but left it pretty thick. It's gonna dry overnight.

[​IMG]

TADA! No more spoiler. I prefer this look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

hey it's a Mister 2!

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Yup, it's my 86' MR2. My old lid had a dealer tag SCREWED into the trunk lid. They removed it after a few years I guess but it made the paint have a "DICK POE" outline on it. The screws were left in and started to rust a little. The paint was not that great and the spoiler had spider/cracked paint all over it. In short it looked really bad compared to the rest of my car.

Now I think it looks great! :big grin: Time to add a 4ft tall GT style wing!!!

J/K :p

13. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Very nice! I agree, it looks better without the spoiler.

We need to have a Dallas area detailing meet, btw. :)

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'd go!!! :) It would give me a chance to learn some wash and wax skills I'm lacking lol.

15. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

If its in the creases like that I totally agree. If its just surface that can be easily dealt with. If I was him, I would send it back, in the crease like that its just going to keep getting worse unless he bondos over it. As I understand it if you seal it in like that it cant keep growing as it needs moisture and oxygen.

16. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hey man props to you for trying, most people wouldnt even do that. I know on my Maxima I wouldnt because I would be too scared to fuck it up

17. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

only thing i would have done differently was to pry the lip up and get the rust behind there

18. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I think prying the lip up would have ruined the metal, possibly creasing it or even cracking it. I'd rather have the rust come back than do that right now. I think once it starts to show up again I'll just take my rust free trunk lid and get the spoiler holes filled by a professional.

I was scared at first lol. Then I figured the worst that could happen would be I fuck it all up, waste $70, and just put my old lid and spoiler back on. I wouldn't have attempted it without having a good spare available.