GUN how hard is it too start a indoor gun range?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by el capitan, Feb 26, 2008.

1. el capitan

el capitan New Member

my local indoor range is a shit hole, and i'm sure i'm not alone here, but take the god damn wood paneling down!!!! i've only been to 4 different ranges since i started shooting, and they are all the same.

poor lighting, dirty as hell, holes everywhere, cold, the target holders suck, and EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED!!!! :fawk:

don't get me wrong, i know that epa regulations and insurance have to be astronomical, but fuck they all look like they were built and then had zero up keep. mine even has a line at 20 or so feet fucking spray painted on the floor. buy a stencil, and some proper paint for fucks sake

so how much do you think you could start a range for, no gun store at first. just a indoor range.
    :dunno:

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

It's more a case of, how much liability insurance can you afford? It's not just the facilities itself that's fiscally draining.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

couple hundred grand

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have not ran the numbers on this, but honestly if you are seriously considering this, then you WANT a store with it.

The store is gonna get people in, plus you'll make a buttload off all the "impulse" purchases. Also easier to handle rentals.

Except in public-ran or club-ran ranges, I think a store is a huge money maker, and it'd be a mistake to not go that route.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I always heard that you can make a small fortune by owning a gun store and starting with a large fortune... Doesn't seem like it'd be a guaranteed success by any means. :dunno:

6. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

If you went to Ohio State, you'd know.

Son.

7. el capitan

el capitan New Member

see i went to columbus state community college, and still haven't finished :hsd:

thats where i went wrong :sadwavey:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no business is a guaranteed success. My point wasn't that it was a "great investment". My point was range+store would be better than just a range.

9. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i see what you mean about the impulse buys and what not, but just starting out, i think that stocking a true store would be super pricey. maybe start small, or have serious investors.

think about it. super clean well lit space, if you have a store, have nice well lit and uncluttered displays. maybe have cc cameras at the far end of the range so you could view your target with out bringing it back to you. have those feeds display on a t.v. in the front of the shop. i'm sure that would get some laughs

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

pm thomor. i'm sure he worked up a spreadsheet :hsughno:

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

ibYouWantToMakeASmallFortuneSellingGunsStartWithALargeOne

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

My best advise is, if you don't like it, get involved with them and volunteer to help. You'll be much better off. Unless you have some capital to burn that's "liquid", don't expect to get a ROI in the first decade of being open.

aka, if you do it, do it because you love it, and don't expect to get rich off of it.

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:hs:

I agree with you there... I'd like to start up a range at first and then add on a store afterwards.

14. texchef

texchef Guest

I would think that an outdoor range would be easier plus you could offer more choices and bring a wider variety of shooters in.

Then again, land ain't cheep so it may be a "draw". :noes:

15. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i don't even have enough shooting experience, let alone business experience. i don't want to get rich off of it. its just with my limited experiences i think that it could be done better.

i don't have enough time with work and everything else i've got on my plate to really help at my local, plus those guys are a bunch of assholes mostly.

if you could have your own range how would it be? that should have been my thread title. thats more what i was getting at, its just ridiculous that i have more lighting in my garage than i do at my local

16. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

The NRA and NSSF publish books on doing this and they will send them to you free. Suffice it to say it is cheaper to buy one than start one. Plus, when you buy an operating range, it's grandfathered with the rules from when it was built. You build a new one, you get the new rules. The bullet traps I looked at were $500k just for the traps for 10 lanes.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yup, I hear the NRA has excellent material available for range builders, check with them. At the very least you'd want to sell ammo I would think but I don't think success is likely to be on your side.

18. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i had heard that about the grandfathering in, problem with buying the one by me would be the history of bad purchases you would be buying. hell they have night sites that have so much dust on them the dots prolly don't even glow, and they are still priced well above retail. and the tshirts, for fucks sake..... they have a million tshirts from 1980 for 29.95

19. texchef

texchef Guest

Local ordinances can change in a heartbeat though. There was an outdoor range not far from me that was open around 18 years and the city changed the rules and they shut down the next month.

20. el capitan

el capitan New Member

it was a hypothetical question really. i'm just growing tired of the place i have to go to enjoy my hobby. i'm just saying what would you ideal range be like?

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

I personally know entrepreneurs that have launched successful restaurants that don't know the first thing about a cut of steak. it's actually very few that not only have the money to back up their business model, but also the knowledge to run it correctly. :)

That aside, I get the gist of what your intentions were of the range. Fact of the matter is, that sort of "smart and idealistic" vision of a perfect range and the money and vision to run it "right" is often with the investor that has in interest in ventures that are more lucrative. So often these shops and ranges are opened up by the guy with the heart, but not the business savy nor capital and spirit to pull off that vision of the ultimate range/shop.

That said I still have to tip my hat at the end of the day to them, because without them, you would not see a lot of gun shops and ranges being open because the smarter investor will have his money on strip malls, and other lucrative commercial ventures.

22. texchef

texchef Guest

Long rifle range, tactical practice area, metal targets, moving targets, no dumb ass "no double taps" rule. Safe and well lit for night shooting, concession area so you can make it an all day outing with friends.

23. el capitan

el capitan New Member

maybe when i cash out my 401k :dunno:

j/k :mamoru:

24. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    My ideal too!

25. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I have 3 initials for you that will make it hell to start one without a shitload of cash, backers or a store that's making good profits...

E
    P
    A