How hard is it to upgrade the current IMAC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Grouch, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I know they should be revamped soon but if I was to buy one or even the new ones it is easy for the home user to upgrade ram/HD/video on them? I was looking at the 24" IMAC which has a PCIE slot or at least a PCIE video card so I imagin that is possible to upgrade on your own down the road.

and dual booting in mac with XP/Vista and OSX with the new intel chips is it pretty easy?

2. ady

ady New Member

RAM and HD are easily upgradable. I wouldn't count on ever being able to upgrade the video card yourself, despite it being theoretically possible.

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

RAM is a piece of cake...but I wouldn't consider replacing the hard drive to be that easy for the home user. :noes:

RAM on the iMac is located on the lower part of the unit just below the Apple logo...there is a small plate on the bottom that is easily removed with two screws and after that, the RAM just pops out. 2 gig is max on the new iMacs and it takes the smaller notebook memory (DDR2 PC5300). :cool:

4. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

Considering that the iMac is, in essence, a pseudo-desktop with notebook parts, RAM and HDD should be relatively simple to replace. I wouldn't count on the GPU being user-replaceable, since it's likely to be soldered to the motherboard.

5. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

6. Grouch

Grouch Guest

good info guys thanks for the help.

So the GPU is most likely not upgradable by the user. :(

What about dual booting? Anyone have experiance?

7. Bona Fide

Bona Fide Guest

bootcamp ftw

8. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:cool: