How hard is it to upgrade a processor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LIQUID, Dec 2, 2004.

1. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

I have an Abit KD7E mobo and am running an AMD XP 2000+ processor in it.

The mobo has 333mhz fsb so the max processor I can go is a 3000+ processor.

There are 2 different ones on newegg (please help me decide which one i should get alos :x: )

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-380&depa=0

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-381&depa=0

what else do I need? thermal paste right?

I've installed memory, drives, vid cards, etc on my pc but never a processor

what do i need to do?

edit: Here are my current PC specs

ABIT KD7-E mobo
    AMD XP 2000+ processor
    640MB Kingston DDR PC2100 RAM
    2x 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB Hard drives
    Antec 550 Watt power supply
    TDK indiDVD burner
    some cdrw drive (i forgot the brand..its a POS so I never use it) :coolugh:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'd like to also toss this one into the fray:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-401&depa=0

I have the processor myself and it is very fast, these processors are known for the overclocking (I've had mine at 3200+ speeds but even at 2500+ it is still very fast, and almost half the price of the 3000+.

Retail gives you a heatsink/fan, OEM does not. You can get a nice heatsink/fan combo for around $30. I run a thermaltake silentboost and it runs great (and quiet).

The most annoying thing in changing a processor is the heatsink, they have to have A LOT of pressure on the processor so they have pretty tight clamps, removing them is a bitch. For these types of processors you need a flat head screw driver and some prying, in a lot of cases you need to remove the power supply as well to get the heatsink off.

The processor is in a slot with a little lever, you just flip the lever up and pull the processor out. Todays processors are called "ZIF"s, zero-insertion-force. So don't try to force the new processor in, it should just fall into place. It IS keyed however, there is an arrow in one of the corners that corresponds with its mount. Sometimes pins on the processor can bend and give you some trouble, gently bend them back if thats the case and try inserting, if its not perfectly straight the mount should fix it up.

Also, with the thermal paste you want to apply very little and spread it evenly over the processors surface (very small on the AMDs), in this case more is not better :) You apply the paste to the processor, not the heatsink.

A processor install is no more involved than a video card, maybe another step or two but its not a big deal.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Couple things:

1) Do *NOT* run a 266Mhz Mobile chip... get a 333MHz chip.

2) Do *NOT* use thermaltake... If you want to save money, stick with stock, otherwise get Zalman.

3) Do *NOT* buy OEM.

4) ALWAYS buy Retail. Even if you want an aftermarket heatsink/fan, a Retail chip gives you a 3-year warranty.

Now for my advice: Save your money and get a new mobo/cpu/ram combo when you can... Upgrading just the chip now will give only medeocre results.

What memory do you have now? Because DDR-266 (PC-2100) won't mesh well with a 333MHz chip, which requires PC-2700.

4. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

I have PC-2100 memory :(

I currenlty have a thermaltake cpu fan :sad2: wha'ts so bad about them?

I see your point with the warranty

the thing is that I usually build a new PC after I get my tax money back....this is just to get me thru there...plus it will help me run Battle for Middle Earth/HL2 better :hs:

thanks for you help :hs:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what video card do you have?

Honestly, I would save your money for the next couple months. Tax returns arn't too far away. Get an AMD64 939 then, and make-due until then.

Thermaltake fans are horrible. Temperature wise, they're almost no-better than stock. They also have a horrible noise problem most of the time. What I mean by that is that they're only effective when on the louder settings. Not to mention the company itself is crap... They rip designs off of whoever they can.

Zalman, on the other hand, is a genuine company with genuinely fresh ideas. They're coolers cost no more than thermaltake, yet perform 10x better... And at practically silent noise levels. As an example, Intel released their LGA-775 platform and their stock cooler. TT automatically took the stock base, and threw a loud-ass red/black fan on top. Volia, $40 crappy cooler. Zalman, on the other hand, spent time and money actually developing a cooler that was BETTER and QUIETER than Intels. I'll spend the $45 on the Zalman!

With PC-2100 memory, you're gonna have a huge bottleneck. Honestly, when you add up the cost, you're gonna spend a lot of money on making your system playable at a middle-level. Why not apply that cash to a new system in a few months and build something kick-ass?

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'd guess that heatsink/fan combos are just a matter of preference, I'm happy with the thermaltake, it cools pretty good and its quiet. I think its a waste for the warranty to pay an extra $30, I *think* OEM still comes with a warranty but its only 1 year. Its like when you go to best buy and buy something for $140, they ask if you want to pay $30 for the extended warranty, I say no, if you say yes then get the warranty with the processor ;)

He is especially right about the RAM, you're not going to see a huge gain of performance with 2100 holding you back. You will probably want to wait so you can build everything else up while you're at it.

But again, I run the 2500+, I have the FSB set to 167 so by theory I end up with a 333FSB, I have no trouble running games in the least bit.

7. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

8. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

OEM chips are 30 or 90 day warranty -- depending on where you get them. And it's not from AMD... you must go through the retailer.

I own a computer shop, and you'd be surprised how many customers take advantage of AMD's 3-year boxed warranty... I only sell boxed processors (both AMD and Intel) for this reason.

I would say I RMA more after 2 years than I get DOA.

And the cost between retail/oem is usually only $10-20. You make an easy $10 back by selling the OEM cooler if you're not gonna use it.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

11. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

One more thing u said that "upgrading a socket462 (A) right now is a waste of money" for only some $140 or less to get a new 939 he gotta pay for a new cpu $200 mobo RAM $100+ if 1GB+ new PSU and more :o

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2004
  12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, the ASUS A7V880 is crap. nForce2 if you have to go socket a, but why would you upgrade a platform AMD has already anounced will be canceled soon?

he already needs a new cpu and ram, and you want him to get a new mobo... so make it an amd64 -- not some piece of junk, that's going EOL soon.

13. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

880>nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP by 5 to 10%
    880 cost under $65-
    N2 400 MCP cost $75+
    nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T>880 by 1 to 5%
    N2 MCP-T cost $85+

think about it

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you neglect 1 very important fact:

Socket 462 == EOL soon.

Socket 939 >>>> *.[AMD]

Save your money... Buy smart. Buy once.

15. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

ok ok ok

I read the 1st few posts quilckly (ill get to the next in a bit..since im at work :) )

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro AIW 128MB video card

so are you saying I might see a speed boost if I get faster memory? It will probably cost me the same if not more to get the PC 2700 ram :noes:

16. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

hmmm that will let me run my video card @ 8x :eek3:

I have PC2100 ram right now...will that ram work on this mobo? or will i have to buy a diff type? I'll eventually upgrade to faster ram...this is just a little gift to myself for christmas :)

17. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

that ram and agp 8x just fine

18. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

How many pc2100 do u have?

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes: so in 6 months when your system is EOL and you're sad because you spent all that money and it's still 2-year old technology, what are you gonna do?

trust me... save your money and don't be a "kid in a candy store". You'll be happier if you save up.

20. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

32Bit Processor it's still be in use at least 3 more years

21. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

the abit KD7 cant support barton cores anyways.

22. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

23. de_aztec24/7

de_aztec24/7 Guest

24. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

the thing is that I'd rather wait another year to buy a whole new system. I dont care about having the biggest, baddest system :)

I need to buy a monitor pretty soon so instead of getting whole new system i'd like to get a monitor

plus that will give it time for the prices to drop + there will be more variety for me to chose from (PCI-X etc)

25. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

2 modules

1x 512MB
    1x 128MB