how hard is it to learn qbasic?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zyg0te, Sep 1, 2005.

1. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

i might try to test out of one of my computer science classes. Course description is below. I am able to just about everything else the class requires, but am wondering if I would be able to teach myself qbasic in a day or 2.

2. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

it may be noteworthy that the closest experience I have to programming is probably html :o

3. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

2 days is a bit too short of a time to learn QBasic. But maybe it would be enough to pass as someone who knows it, if the test was very superficial ;)

4. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

There is a reason it is called BASIC. :o
    It should be fairly easy to learn but you will probably need to give yourself more than a day or two. For starters you could buy a Dummies or Complete Idiots book on BASIC and start from there. It shouldn't take long to learn how to write simple programs while using a reference. More advanced stuff will take longer and of course some people can never figure it out. Programming is just too foreign for their minds to comprehend. So, buy a book for beginners (or borrow one from the library) and give it a shot. Just don't expect it to be too much like HTML.

5. smokengoat

smokengoat Guest

its not to hard i remember i was playing around with it in 8th grade. C++ is much better though in my opinion but you can probably do it at least most basic stuff no pun intended

6. peerk

peerk New Member

It shouldn't be too tough. From the class description you can tell it is a general knowledge class about computers and not a programming class. I'm guessing they only spent a few classes on the topic of basic.

On the data representation part make sure you can convert decimal numbers to binary and vice versa. They might not have covered that but it is simple to do and should be easy points if it is on test.

Some basic tutorials:

http://freeprogrammingresources.com/basictutr.html

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

qbasic isn't that tough. It isn't very useful either.

You'd be better off learning VisualBasic.
    When I had to take a required computer course in HS, I had already been writing VB programs for a couple years.

I'd do the qbasic shit and spend the rest of the period surfing the internet.

8. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

haha - i did the same thing, GTI. Our qbasic teacher didn't know the stuff at all, so i made her a quick little program to keep up with her grades and everything. For whatever reason, she wouldn't give me a 100 for the semester. I aced every last test....blah. that was still fun.