GUN how good of a rifle is a Norinco SKS?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fst89lx, Sep 18, 2002.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

my buddy just impulse bought a used norinco SKS for $150 out the door at our local sporting goods shop. how accurate/reliable is this rifle? Was $150 a good deal?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

They seem to go in excellent condition for $250-300, so go from that. If his is good-very good, i'd say he got a pretty fair deal there.

They're accurate enough to hit a person-sized target out to a few hundred yards, but don't expect anything great from it. They're designed to go bang every time you pull the trigger, no matter what. Seem to do fairly well in that regard too.

3. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Good, he'll be happy to hear that. Thanks Kellyclan

4. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

I love my Chinese SKS. Fun fun fun. :big grin:

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, 150 is the going price around me. bayonet included? if not, tell him to try to get one, because the bayo, when mounted, helps add some weight to the muzzle, reducing muzzle rize.

my sks is dead on at 200 yds, but i haven't been to any range with more room than that. make damn sure that he gets the cosmolene COMPLETELY out of the bolt, bolt carrier, and chamber, along with the barrel. sks's are PACKED with that shit, and learn from my mistake. when i first fired mine, i must've missed some cosmolene, because after about 200 rounds, i had a slam fire. that's when you release the bolt, and it simultameously chambers and fires the round. one of the reasons to always have the muzzle downrange. the cause slamfires is the firing pin not retracting, usually from an obstruction. in this case, probably cosmolene that melted, got down into the bolt, and wound up on the firing pin.

if you or he has never taken an sks apart before, there are many places to go for instructions online. mineral spirits (paint thnner) are what i use to cut the cosmolene. the gas chamber isn't that important as far as getting the cosmolene goes, because #1)the pressures inside the tube will force out any cosmolene through the gas ports. it WILL, however, go spraying everywhere when it comes out. #2)if you fire enough rounds, the cosmolene will heat up and liquify somewhat, and then be forced out even easier. just get the brunt of it, and the rest will take care of itself.

6. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

don't have to worry about the cosmoline cuz there wasn't any in the gun. as far as the bayonet, it has the lug, but no bayonet. I imagine he'll get one sooner or later though.

he shot it yesterday for the first time, said he liked it, it fired every time, no jams (more than i can say for my bushmaster the first time out hehe) didn't get a chance to really test accuracy as he was just out poppin' off rounds at my buddies junkyard.

7. nordaim

nordaim Guest

One thing to make sure you do is strip the bolt down and clean the ever living god out of it. This will help to insure that you do not get slam fires as previously mentioned. Just make sure you have plenty of Hoppe's #9 on hand.

If you have a high-ball glass, just fill it with Hoppe's and let the parts sit in it overnight. Brush them up and wipe them down.

8. footratfunkface

yeah, like i said, mineral spirits are what i used, i just missed something when i went through it all. it works to dissolve the cosmolene very well. i use CLP for all my other cleaning besides initial breakdown and de-greasing.

9. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

He just bought a shitty new synth stock for it, the previous one was a synth too but it was just a straight rifle stock, this one is pistol grip stye, well it has an adjustable cheeck piece on it that even when it is adjusted to its lowest position, if you properly rest your cheek on it you can't line up the sights :rolleyes:

also he bought that "full auto trigger" mod thing that clamps on/in your trigger guard and is supposed to use the recoil motion of the gun to work the trigger fast enough to simulate auto-fire. LOL I almost laughed in his face when he told me it cost him $30. I can rapid fire my AR manually faster than that thing can!

10. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

The infamous "Hell-Fire" trigger. Yep, its a gimmick.

11. footratfunkface

hell, tell him to learn to bump-fire it.