How good is a 1:1 ratio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spahndirge, Apr 10, 2010.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

I'm going to buy an SSD and want to upgrade my ram. Currently have 4Gb, want 8GB. My FSB:big grin:RAM ratio is 2:3. I'm using an Intel q6600 2.4MHz and my RAM is DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-15, Asus P5Q MOBO.

I've read that I could overclock the q6600 to 3.0GHz and get ddr2-667 which would give me a 1:1 ratio.

So my question...is there much difference when you attain a 1:1 ratio and would it be worth me trying to reach it?

Also, mixing ram, good thing or bad thing?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

The ratio itself is irrelevant...

But if the clock speed of the memory ends up faster with a 1:1 ratio then it will improve performance, but not because the clock speed doesn't have to be divided, that is done in hardware with no performance overhead.

Given the numbers you posted though, you want to go from DD2-800 to DDR2-667... which is fucking stupid. Clock speeds that drive components are divided down from the main system clock which drives the processor (and is the fastest component on the system), the slowing down of the main clock to drive slower components has no performance effect whatsoever, it is accomplished in hardware.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

1:1 is the slowest memory ratio on intel motherboards.
    You use it when overclocking to tone down how much the memory is overclocked.

4. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

You won't notice the difference in anything appart from benchmarks but if you care that much because the RAM might be running under spec Mhz wise you can lower the timings a bit to counter it.