GUN How good are the deals at pawn shops?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Sep 10, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

I'm in the market for an M1 Garand and I have my C&R FFL. I know I can buy an M1 Garand in good condition for $550, but I want to explore all my options. I've looked at the various auction sites and haven't found any good deals. I went to a gun show yesterday but the only M1 Garand I saw there, the asking price was $1000 :rofl:

So, I'm thinking about trying pawnshops. But do you think they'd even have an M1 Garand, or do they cater more to pistols? How are the prices at pawn shops? Any chance of me getting a good deal? I know their standard operating proceedure is to buy something for $50 and sell it for $500. :dunno:

2. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Our pawn shop will have a Garand or two for sale every now and then.

Persoanlly I've never found any good deal on any guns at a pawn shop. Most of the time the pawn shop has already gotten the good deal from the original owner and then has stuck a price on their item that you can find anywhere else.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't think you'll find a better deal on a garand than the CMP really.

As far as pawnshops, it just depends on the pawn shop. Some only have crap and sell it for 4x what its worth...sometimes you'll find one that has something nice that they're trying to move or don't know that the value is up on yet like say they might not know that bulgarian mak supply has dried up and might be selling it for $130.

4. t1h

t1h Guest

well I was looking at this one, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55765942

but it says it has a new receiver, and according to the diagram on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand that is where the manufacturer stamp and serial number are. So I guess with it having a new receiver I won't know who made it or have the serial number?

Then I was looking at this one http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=583900 but it looks kind of beat up for $550.

there is this one http://www.auctionarms.com/search/d...Springfield, Mass) Garand M1 Springfield VAR currently at 450 but it doesn't end for a couple of more days.

5. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

never got a good deal, more rather decent deal. they always over price their guns and u have to basically ask their bottom dollar, and haggle down some more. Then u will probably get a normal price.

i once got a VZ24 mauser for around $180 - about the price of aimsurplus+shipping and FFL fee

another time i scored a Cetme for $350 - had to return it because it did not cycle.

last week they had that Indian Enfield in 308 for $250, i talked them down to $200. but they are only 170 on aim.

at one of the pawn shops they priced a 2nd Gen G17 higher than a 3rd Gen. i couldn't get an answer why just simply that it was.

6. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Pawn shops have great deals if a) you shop around a bit and b) haggle. Some of the deals that I've got at pawn shops:

Mossberg 500 - $30
    Marlin 60- $40
    USP 9mm - $425
    Marlin 336 - $200

I've seen a shitload of other great deals but I can't buy them all. If you're going to go to a pawn shop just make sure that you know what the gun you're buying is worth and know how to identify problems. Also, don't pay attention to the sticker price. Make a ridiculously lowball offer and work from there. It's really easy to get them to knock 30% or more off of the sticker price at most pawn shops.

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

garand = cmp

otherwise you are probably just getting raped.

8. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i got a NIB Vepr ak47 at a local pawnshop for 550...i consider it a good deal considering Vepr's havent been imported in over a year and a half, and the fact its got the ventilated handguard/ skeletonized stock & an A2 flash hider; all of which are 150 dollars extra on top of a standard 550 dollar Vepr...so i basically got the addons for free

9. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

The CAI one will have a Century receiver. They do every now and again put out a good gun, but their quality is so spotty, the only way I'd have one is if someone gave it to me. The two Danish guns are most likely from CMP.

10. ElChupacabra

ElChupacabra we should have fucking shotguns

Oh, and mine is from Fulton Armory on a Springfield receiver. Paid $1100 for it and it's the cat's pajamas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]