How far to OC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

I just got a new setup and i currently have my 2.7 celeron at 3.2 with no problem whatsoever, the temps are 35/45.

Heres the current situation, i had to re-use my orignial emachines case because the new antec i had had a blown psu, so i temp. put the mobo back in my emachines. Anyways, the emachines only has a fan on the 250w psu that it came with. That is all the cooling it has right now.

What i just bought is a new case that has 3 fans-1 intake, 2 exhaust, plus the psu fan on the new vantec 350w that i just bought. It also has the cpu cooler on the side of the case to direct air awy form the cpu. I also purchased a thermalright heatsink. Also i just got some rounded ide cables to help improve airflow.

Now onto the question, since my current setup is not ideal at all for oc'ing, but my new stuff will be, how far should i attempt to go? How do i know when ive pushed it too far? I dont want to damage my cpu but i do want to oc it alot. Thanks

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you'll know when it's too far when it's no longer stable.

just go in small increments, and don't touch the voltage if YOU don't know what you're doing.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I just have to ask, why over-clock?

It you are going through as much trouble to do it like buying more fans and a better heatsink why not just buy a faster processor and not worry about damaging your machine?

Overclocking will most likely put much more stress on the CPU and as you know risking damaging it.

I guess I just don't get the reason of doing it...

4. Robb

Robb Guest

its as much a hobby as anything else, at least for me.
    heres a cpu-z shot of my current setup btw
    [​IMG]

5. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

can you buy a 2.6GHz Althon ? no. exactly.

[​IMG]

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Uhh... sorry... I have never used an AMD before and probably never will, so I have no idea...

And according to the first post in this thread, it is an Intel chip not AMD, right? :rolleyes:

7. lowfat

k. overclocking is free speed. cpu's are meant for like a 10 year life. Who is going to be using the same cpu that long? So if overclocking lowers the life of a cpu by a few years so be it. its free speed.

8. Toaster Oven

Toaster Oven Guest

Why overclock at all? Why not wait till you get your new parts before overclocking? No fans = disaster (PSU fan doesn't count).

9. Robb

Robb Guest

disaster=what exactly, my temps are fine, what else should i be looking at

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

The same reason people upgrade cars, improve houses, modify almost anything and everythign they own. I can buy an $800 computer and get it to beat a $1200 machine...how cool is that? Not everyone can just "buy faster hardware" when the stuff they have is obsolete. You push what you ALREADY HAVE to it's limits, and get the most performance you can out of it. I've been overclocking for years adn the sucess rate far outweighs the "fried, messed up hardware" rate. This computer should last FAR beyond the time i want to keep it.

Like jollyogre said go in small increments, don't just boot up and go for 3.4GHz lmao. And watch your temps...make sure they are accurate. Sometimes what the diode reads can be 10-20C off if it's damaged or not set right. Keep it cool and make sure it's not overvolted or anything.

To make sure it;'s stable try running some bences or better yet a good 2hr. session of a intense game. SuperPi is a good bench, any of the 3DMark series would be even better.

11. lowfat

prime95 is a good CPU/memory stress test. although i'll hit higher temps with a game since my GPU is on the same water loop as my CPU.

12. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

:cool:

because my 2 year old machine can still keep up with teh new stuff :bigthumb:

[​IMG]