How far can linksys wireless router go?...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaBicaN, Nov 2, 2003.

1. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

Will the linksys wireless router go through 2 floors about 30feet away? i know you can get boosters but if it wont reach i probually wont do the setup and just run cat5 through to walls...

If its barely in range does this slow down the connection speed... THANKS!:)

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I don't know the answer. But I know an easy way to find out. Can you guess it?

3. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

buy one then test it...

like i said tho i dont want to buy it unless i dont have to spend the extra 50$ for the booster...

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

You can always return it. :dunno:

5. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

lol true ;) well i dunno if i can return a wireless NIC if i installed it...

6. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

whats it mean when it says 5.0ghz and 2.4...does the card have to be compliant for one of these? is 5.0 longer distance? also what does wireless-G and wireless-B...mean?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

"wireless-b" or 802.11b runs at 11Megabits/sec, 802.11G runs at 54. 5.0 GHz is actually less distance, but there are less things that cause interference with a 5.0GHz frequency.
    All 802.11b and 802.11g stuff should work together.

Most stores will allow you to return installed products even. At Officemax, it would be fine as long as it was less than fourteen days, and you still had all the shit it came with and the receipt.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

My experience with wifi is that range is pretty pathetic, at least with the stuff I've tried. If you mean you'll need to go vertically through two floors (ie. 1st to 3rd floor) and horizontally 30 feet, it probably won't work or at least won't work reliably. It really all depends on the equipment and whatever's between the access point and PC. I worked on one yesterday...Linksys AP upstairs, Linksys USB receiver on desktop PC downstairs with a new Fujutsu laptop with integrated wifi a few feet away. The desktop only got 1 bar of signal if I held the receiver over my head. Otherwise it was "no signal" but still barely worked. Sometimes. The laptop sitting on the kitchen table 10' away got "good" signal according to XP and worked great. Horizontal distance was maybe 20 feet with one story vertical drop.

9. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

its basically 5ft horizontal and 2 floots up

10. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Having problems with the wireless network I set up for someone. :wtc:

11. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

wireless is rather unreliable, plus you also get into the fact that some one else can access it unless you buy a real nice access point that does encryption on the fly, if you want decnet conectivity run a wire, other wise give wifi a go