How exactly does muscle memory work?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by mitrong, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitrong

mitrong so cute

I know on an ideal diet, you can gain at most 1 lb of lean mass in a week... so what xactly does muscle memory do for u? does it mean u can gain more than 1 lb of mass in a week? Does it mean it takes less calories/lifting for u to gain muscle than if u didnt have muscle memory?

someone please elaborate +(

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

the mechanism is still unknown

3. gourmizz

gourmizz New Member

4. shastaisforwinners

about what?

5. gourmizz

gourmizz New Member

never heard of this

6. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Muscle memory is your friend. It's what makes doing any sport or exercise easier the more you do it.

Some people debate as to whether it even exists. It does. The individual cells in your entire body have their own memory, but it's not cerebral. They just remember what they are meant to do and they do it. If you train your biceps long enough they become accustomed to whatever routine you put them through.

Muscle memory is one of the reasons people are advised to switch up their routines. Your body can easily become bored of the same thing, but it also excels at it at the same time.

I learned the most about muscle memory through playing Tennis. No amount of schooling can teach a persons body how to perform the perfect one handed backhand, that's something you nail down yourself and repeat until your muscles themselves are literally programmed to do it.

as shastaisforwinners said:
    Nobody knows what is responsible for muscle memory. It does it on it's own, and it's pretty amazing.

7. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Easiest way to explain it: Once you learn how to run, you can run. The longer you keep it up the more automatic it becomes.

A person who hardly ever runs looks like shit compared to someone who runs consistently. It's not about training, it's about experience. The experienced runners muscles are on autopilot. This sensation is known as gliding to some runners. I had it down pat for over 2 months before I took a hiatus.

Memory is real because you can lose it.

8. shastaisforwinners

I think he's referring more to the body's ability to rebuild muscle tissue that's been lost at a greater rate than building new muscle. What you are talking about is more an issue of neurological adaptations and motor pattern learning.

9. shastaisforwinners

10. Metacomet

Metacomet Guest

Motor patterns! Yeah that's it. It's a different topic. I assume muscle cells rebuild and retain memory as well, maybe the two are related.

11. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

Does the body not just adapt quicker because its had to do it before already?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.